Zune 120 vs Marantz CD5003 for sound quality
Jul 18, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 6
Again,...... why are you comparing a portable mp3 player (Zune 120) w/a home cd player?

Jul 18, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 6
Best I can do is tell you I have a $400 home theater amp... sound quality goes to the Zune, very open sounding, super detailed, ample clarity. The amp, although it goes a lot louder doesn't sound half as good... then again it isn't a Marantz but honestly I think the Zune is an excellent source.

Personally I would like to see a comparison between Zune, Ipod, Iphone, Fuze etc...

Jul 18, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again,...... why are you comparing a portable mp3 player (Zune 120) w/a home cd player?

Because I may decide to skip buying another CD player for my office if a Zune (or another good PMP) sounds as good as a source. I would rip my CDs instead... Now if someone tells me that the Zune can't honestly compare to the CD5003, then I'll think again.

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because I may decide to skip buying another CD player for my office if a Zune (or another good PMP) sounds as good as a source. I would rip my CDs instead... Now if someone tells me that the Zune can't honestly compare to the CD5003, then I'll think again.

So get a Zune and load it w/WMA Lossless files and be done w/it. I have it hooked to my home system, and the SQ is just fine.

This is still a ridiculous comparison between the two devices. A home componentant cd player vs a portable mp3 player. Really, you should be getting an iPod and using a dock that allows it to hook directly to your system. THAT would be the correct thing to do.

Here's a link to the Wadia iTransport: Stereophile: Wadia iTransport

itrans.jpg

Now this is the correct way to do it for your office or home system. And, if I'm correct, a few Head-Fi'ers have this and will hopefully give a little more input for you. This would be better for the setup you have planned.

Jul 21, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 6
Not really sure how much a Marantz costs, but I'm going to have to agree w/ nywytboy68 that the iPod + Wadia is going to be the fairest matchup IF a large capacity is a requisite. If not, you should look into the HiFiMan HM-801, which is supposedly going to be player that closes the gap between portable and home systems. The player also utilizes a digital out, so no need for a Wadia

Only caveat is it's relatively small capacity (uses SD card)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back