Zu Tones- anybody own them?
Feb 14, 2006 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

IronLion

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for some firsthand user impressions of these. I've read all the reviews I could find online but am more interested in reading what non-reviewer people think about these speakers.

Feb 15, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #2 of 12
Did you check Audio Circles yet?

Link

One such example.

There were also complaints regarding the 6Moons review regarding Zu Tone. Not to discourage you or anything but to at least see more facets of it. Ultimately, yours ears together with your setup will determine whether this is the right speaker for you.

Feb 15, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #3 of 12
Yeah I'm aware of some of the complaints about them but several factors to me outweigh those minor negatives: the single-driver design, high sensitivity, warmish sound signature, bookshelf size, and overall low cost. In addition, I am very interested in trying out Zu's products; from all the stuff I have read, they have a design philosophy that I find very appealing and I am interested to see how that is represented in their products.

Feb 15, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 12
I've only heard the Druids and wasn't impressed.

I'd also caution you about falling in love with a product philosophy rather than the actual product. I did the same with the single-driver crossoverless concept until I realized that they don't sound all that good, for the most part.

It's always best to audition speakers yourself and choose the ones you like best, rather than reading reviews online. Srajan at 6moons has bizarre ears and recommends some pretty sad gear. If you do try the Tones and decide you like them, by all means buy them. But I'm guessing apart from the great aesthetic design from Zu (looks are their specialty), you'll find that there are a lot of speakers that sound better for the same money.

Feb 15, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 12
Where did you hear the Druids? I hear break-in with them is very important due to the single-driver design.

Its not that I'm in love with Zu's product philosophy, but rather I think it is a refreshing one that has gotten my attention. As I mentioned in my post, I am not committed to buying them yet and am still looking around; I am searching for a place around me in Manhattan where I could audition them.

How much people like any given piece of audio equipment is obviously highly subjective; I by no means follow the reviews blindly, but given the plethora of audio brands out there when one is willing to spend $1500+ on a pair of speakers, it is helpful to at least read somebody's opinion on a pair of speakers in the form of a review. I treat the 6moons reviews, your posting about single-driver speakers and all other postings on this or other sites in the same way: its all opinions and nothing more.

Personally, I think that Zu speakers are quite normal looking; if anything, I think their "specialty" would appear to be ambitious design and "outside of the box" products.

Out of curiosity, what single-driver speakers did you own? What did you like about them, and what made you decide not to go the single-driver way?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
I've only heard the Druids and wasn't impressed.

I'd also caution you about falling in love with a product philosophy rather than the actual product. I did the same with the single-driver crossoverless concept until I realized that they don't sound all that good, for the most part.

It's always best to audition speakers yourself and choose the ones you like best, rather than reading reviews online. Srajan at 6moons has bizarre ears and recommends some pretty sad gear. If you do try the Tones and decide you like them, by all means buy them. But I'm guessing apart from the great aesthetic design from Zu (looks are their specialty), you'll find that there are a lot of speakers that sound better for the same money.

Feb 15, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 12
I honestly dont know what you mean by "a single driver" is more reliant on break in. I think that it is equal to any other speaker in terms of break in requirement.

With regards to single driver designs... what are the inherent advantages over a multi driver design (+XO)? Isnt it going to be difficult for a single driver to produce the upper registers?

Feb 15, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 12
A quote from Gary at Zu Cable in the Positive Feedback review:

"It may be of interest to those considering Tone in a low power triode based system to now what several users have recently noticed relative to efficiency of transduction. That is a dramatic improvement of efficiency during a Zu-styled very high power burn-in, playing big music—Harry James, Buddy Rich, Iron Madden, Zappa, Spine Shank... really pounding on them for 50 hours or more—they were able to realize the efficiency, plus the intimacy and transparency they were hoping for. Most reported the perceived gain to be in the neighborhood of 6 dB."

Also, two reviews you should read to answer your questions:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue23/zu_tone.htm

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/zu8/tone.html

Feb 16, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #8 of 12
So the tones arent really single driver design? Seems like a conventional 2 driver design to me.... anyway, continue on guys... thanks for the linkies.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #9 of 12
They're full range with super tweeter.

Feb 16, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #10 of 12
My friend has heard it and told me it was unique but not so good overall. I trust his opinion so I should say that you want to be sure it is what you want before going for it.

Feb 16, 2006 at 7:08 AM Post #12 of 12
my friend said that the imaging was poor and bass output was poor compared to what he is used to.

I never heard them but judging by their high efficiency, bass output is sacrificed for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back