Zu Mobius v1 vs. v2
Jan 24, 2006 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

BradH

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone know the differences between the Zu Mobius v1 and the newer v2? I'm looking to pick up a Zu for my 650's, and I'm curious of the differences between buying a new v2 direct from ZuCables or picking up a used v1.

I did come across this thread: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=155947 which makes it seem pretty clear that there are differences, at least as far as the connectors are concerned.

Jan 24, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 15
The only difference is the connectors

Jan 25, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #5 of 15
Actually I'm sending in my V2 to be reterminated/replaced by the V1 connecters. I called Zu Cable about this a week ago and their response was that some of the later made HD650s have smaller connector housings than the early batches, so that was the reasoning behind the smaller V2 connectors ( since the V1s WOULD not fit into the newer HD650s ). Unfortunately for me, my HD650 is one of the older runs, so the V2s will not fit snugly at all.

In short - Yes, I prefer the V1 connectors since I can't get a snug fit with the V2.

Jan 25, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 15
Ok that makes a lot more sense now.

In short, if you have newer HD650's than you want the v2 cable. If you have older HD650's, you want the v1. If you swap them around, the connector will be either too big or too small.

Not to drag this thread on, but is there an easy way to identify newer vs. older HD650's? When did the new design go into production?

Jan 26, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradH

In short, if you have newer HD650's than you want the v2 cable. If you have older HD650's, you want the v1. If you swap them around, the connector will be either too big or too small.

Not to drag this thread on, but is there an easy way to identify newer vs. older HD650's? When did the new design go into production?

Not sure if this helps much, but I uploaded some pictures of my HD650s housings, the V2 will NOT fit these snugly. FWIW, I'd say to go with the V1 if you want a sure bet, just requires a little force.

(click for bigger picture)

Jan 27, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #9 of 15
I've been trying to get a hold of Myo, I've sent two PMs the past two days about buying the GFT. I know you're super busy but I was wondering if I could get an answer even if it is I'll answer you later. I'm trying to sound desperate without being pushy. In another post you said that persistence pays off so I'm trying.

Thanks,

Ban

Everything is now fine, Myo got back to me superquickly after he found my pm and I've now ordered two cables from him. He deserves every bit of his reputation for service.

Jan 27, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #10 of 15
hi ban,

sorry about the late reply, will check pms.

EDIT: found you, looks like your pm slipped through the cracks. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Feb 8, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradH

I'm pretty sure I have an older HD650 as I bought it early on when they first became available. I originally purchased the Zu headphone cable before I purchased the HD650, for use on a HD-600. If I remember right the fit was pretty tight on the HD-600. It is no longer that tight.

Fast forward to now. For some time I've been going nuts using the Zu cable with the HD-650 because the cable connection on both the left and the right has been loose and the left channel sound very intermittent. I almost sent them back to Sennheiser for some kind of fix.

The stock cables have no problems with the HD-650.

So, the Zu cable was purchased for use with the HD-600 just won't work right with the HD-650. Am I going to have to buy version 2 of the Zu for the HD-650 just to get it to have a tight, non-intermittent left channel connection?

I like the Zu cable sound, but I could save $$$ if I could have used the Zu on the HD-650 and the HD-600 by swapping the cable in and out between the two.

I'm not blaming Zu. If I have to buy a second aftermarket cable for the HD-650 I'm thinking of trying Cardas. Do Cardas cables have any generational problems between the 600 and the 650?

Feb 8, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz1
I'm pretty sure I have an older HD650 as I bought it early on when they first became available. I originally purchased the Zu headphone cable before I purchased the HD650, for use on a HD-600. If I remember right the fit was pretty tight on the HD-600. It is no longer that tight.

Fast forward to now. For some time I've been going nuts using the Zu cable with the HD-650 because the cable connection on both the left and the right has been loose and the left channel sound very intermittent. I almost sent them back to Sennheiser for some kind of fix.

The stock cables have no problems with the HD-650.

So, the Zu cable was purchased for use with the HD-600 just won't work right with the HD-650. Am I going to have to buy version 2 of the Zu for the HD-650 just to get it to have a tight, non-intermittent left channel connection?

I like the Zu cable sound, but I could save $$$ if I could have used the Zu on the HD-650 and the HD-600 by swapping the cable in and out between the two.

I'm not blaming Zu. If I have to buy a second aftermarket cable for the HD-650 I'm thinking of trying Cardas. Do Cardas cables have any generational problems between the 600 and the 650?

Is the connection problem only with the outer housing? Or does it actually have problems connecting to the driver pins? If it's only outer housing related, you can try to send a email to sennheiser support( or replacement parts? ), and ask them for a replacement housing. Turn around was a bit slow, but I received replacement housings (free of charge) after ~10days from email date.

Feb 8, 2006 at 3:21 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz1
because the cable connection on both the left and the right has been loose and the left channel sound very intermittent.

That sounds like the inner pins don’t connect correctly. IIRC, there is a simple repair described somewhere on the forum.

I grinded away too much of the connector mass, so the cable falls out regularly but the inner pins make contact.
A very simple, but good working, fix:

HD650PaperZu_Klein.jpg

Cheers
Kurt

Feb 8, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mxs1030
Is the connection problem only with the outer housing? Or does it actually have problems connecting to the driver pins? If it's only outer housing related, you can try to send a email to sennheiser support( or replacement parts? ), and ask them for a replacement housing. Turn around was a bit slow, but I received replacement housings (free of charge) after ~10days from email date.

I can get sound if I push the connecter house towards the rear of the headphone (as I'm wearing it).

How hard are these replacement housings to install?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back