Zu Mobius for Senn HD650s Connector Question
Dec 20, 2004 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

electrathecat

500+ Head-Fier
Let's say you're lucky enough to have (one can dream!) Senn HD650s and a fine portable amp with a mini headphone out (since we're dreaming, let's say an SR71!
biggrin.gif
). Now let's say you're adding a great replacement cable (like the Zu Mobius). Should you get it with a mini connector or a 1/4" connector? Obviously the mini connector would be a better choice if you used the 650s only with the portable amp, but what if you wanted to use the 650s on your home system too? But if you get the 1/4" connector and then use the 650 stock cable 1/4"-mini adapter to use the cans with the portable amp, does this reduce the better quality sought from the cable upgrade in the first place?
confused.gif
Does Zu offer any sort of 1/4"-mini or mini-1/4" adapter for the Mobius? Any replies to this silly question are much appreciated!

Dec 20, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 7
Doesn't the SR-71 have a 1/4" output jack? o.O

Dec 20, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
Doesn't the SR-71 have a 1/4" output jack? o.O

No it doesn't. Most truely portables don't. It was designed for the Etys/Shures (reason also for the gain), but we've found other uses.
wink.gif

I was just dreaming myself and since my birthday is coming up....

I asked a few questions here and then Zu, and ended up getting the mini version (should ship today). Zu said if later I switched to another amp they could replace the plug for $10. A few here said they heard no difference when using an adapter (I asked about Senn and Grado adapter since I own both), but I figured if you pay this much for the cable, you should minimize the steps.

Dec 20, 2004 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 7
The sound signature of the Zu Mobius remains even when using the Sennheiser supplied stereo to mini adapter. I had this setup for quite some time. The HD650/Zu driven by the SR-71 using a Rega Planet sounds marvelous.

The advantage of using the adapter is that the Zu is too stiff to hang off the SR-71 mini jack. The adapter reduces strain relief on the SR-71 mini jack. I use a tie wrap to tie down the Zu on my audio shelf, then connect the Zu to the SR-71 using the adapter, which is much more flexible allowing you to position the SR-71 better. It works and looks quite nice actually (sorry no pictures for now; SR-71 is back to transportable duty).

The SR-71 may also be too light to support the Zu directly. Blessingx, do you notice this?

When I got a new home amp, the Zu stereo plug was ready to go.

Dec 20, 2004 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
IMO, the Zu cable is too stiff and too microphonic to use in anything but a situation where you're glued to your Lay-Z-Boy.

Agreed. The only replacement cable that I could imagine being used portably is the Oehlbach cable although the stock cable is still the most flexible of them all. The Zu is definately too stiff. You could also talk to Larry at Headphile. I had a very flexible replacement cable made for my HD 25-1, which I also used for the Hd 650 since both were using the same, or at least very similar connectors. Nevertheless, I don't know what you consider portable but in a portable situation I would not be able to tell the difference between cables.

Dec 20, 2004 at 11:59 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
The SR-71 may also be too light to support the Zu directly. Blessingx, do you notice this?

I'll let you know when it arrives. That was my worry and I mentioned it to the Zu salesperson, but he said it shouldn't be an issue as the Zu was 1/2 as flexible as the stock HD650 cord. If it is I'll be bummed and send it back for a change. We'll see.

But athough the SR71 was purchased as a portable amp, it's pretty much become a home amp now (got the A900s and amping didn't help enough to warrant the extra item). My little poor mans HR2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back