ZTE AXON 7-America's First HiFi Mobile Audio & Dolby ATMOS
Jul 26, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #31 of 199
Understood, I was just concerned that they directly compared it to the HTC 10 and found it to be quieter. Loud enough it may be, but quieter than the HTC 10 by enough of a margin to mention it in a review still concerns me. 

-Collin-

Your concern is understandable.

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #32 of 199
I don't think what was said in the PCMag review is that a big deal. The HTC 10 was also louder than the Vivo XPlay 5 when I compared them, but the latter still sounded notiecably better.

Jul 27, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #33 of 199
  I don't think what was said in the PCMag review is that a big deal. The HTC 10 was also louder than the Vivo XPlay 5 when I compared them, but the latter still sounded notiecably better.

Yeah, and it's a good point that they mentioned nothing about sound quality really. It's sort of a shame that audio quality when we're talking about cell phones is just a mere afterthought for all but a few sites. And even those websites have come under fire lately because their testing methods leave a LOT to be desired. 

So, I will continue to buy every single new phone that comes out and test them myself :-D

-Collin-

Jul 31, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #37 of 199
What kind of DAP can you compare this to? 
I'm interested in it. It's cheaper than LG V10 (around $600). 

Can I use Axon 7 in Canada? 

I'm not really sure. I have the Cowon Plenue D and it was outclassed by the Axon 7.

Jul 31, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #38 of 199
  One more question to you: 

Can you hear that reference sound while using other music apps such as HibiMusic? UAPP? 
Can its internal DAC used by other music player apps? 
or is its stock music player the only app which can use its internal DAC? 

V10 has this issue... you can install other music player apps but only its stock app can make use of its internal DAC chips.... other 3rd party music apps can use Android sound only...

The internal DAC in the V10 works across almost all apps since the Marshmallow update. I own the V10 and it works for me in Poweramp and Spotify.  Prior to this there was an app that could be downloaded from the Play Store and did the same job.

Jul 31, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #39 of 199
The internal DAC in the V10 works across almost all apps since the Marshmallow update. I own the V10 and it works for me in Poweramp and Spotify.  Prior to this there was an app that could be downloaded from the Play Store and did the same job.

Is there a way to find out? All I know is that Dolby Atmos only works on Neutron and JetAudio.

Jul 31, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #40 of 199
here is another review from engadget, you can read from here 
https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/30/zte-axon-7-review/
The Axon 7's design is the result of a team up between ZTE and BMW DesignWorks, and it's a definite improvement over its predecessor. My gold review unit has a smooth matte finish on its metal body that helps it reject fingerprints and is accented by eye-catching glossy chrome edges that are also around the camera and recessed fingerprint sensor. It looks and feels gorgeous in an elegant way that upstages the OnePlus 3.

Just like its predecessor, the Axon 7 has a row of dot cutouts on the top and bottom of its front face, but unlike the Pro, these grilles actually hide speakers. (The old Axon's grilles misled a lot of people into thinking it had dual speakers, but it only had one.) Below the display are capacitive keys for Back, Home and All Apps. There's also a dual SIM card slot on the left edge -- a welcome feature for frequent travelers.

ZTE says the Axon 7 will eventually be ready for Google's "Daydream" mobile VR platform, and its display certainly seems prepared for the task. The 5.5-inch Quad HD AMOLED screen was a great canvas for my Netflix binging and Instagram sprees, but it was unfortunately dim in sunlight. Although it doesn't fix the lack of brightness, the Axon offers built-in software that lets you customize the display's color output. The tool lets you pick from three saturation profiles -- "Natural," "Colorful" and "Gorgeous" -- as well as "Warm," "Normal" and "Cool" color temperatures. I set the screen to "Gorgeous" and "Normal," which delivered higher contrast levels and deeper hues.

Complementing the screen is a HiFi audio setup. Not many smartphone makers pay attention to quality sound, but ZTE is so proud of its system that it devoted six pages out of a 33-page reviewer's guide to it. The only other component that got as much love was the camera. For the most part, the coverage was justified.

The Axon's dual front-facing stereo speakers pumped out distinct, clear sound that drowned out my laptop's speakers while both devices were set to their maximum volumes. The phone's speakers were so clear, in fact, that I could easily hear the crinkling of wrapping paper in the background of a scene over dialogue and overlapping music. The Axon was also loud enough to hear from another room. Dolby Atmos enhancements created a surround sound that is more immersive than I've experienced on other devices. One of the few other phones to place such a heavy emphasis on audio is the HTC 10, which lets you tailor music output to your hearing.

Jul 31, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #41 of 199
here is another review from engadget, you can read from here 
https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/30/zte-axon-7-review/
[COLOR=2B2D32]The Axon 7's design is the result of a team up between ZTE and BMW DesignWorks, and it's a definite improvement over its predecessor. My gold review unit has a smooth matte finish on its metal body that helps it reject fingerprints and is accented by eye-catching glossy chrome edges that are also around the camera and recessed fingerprint sensor. It looks and feels gorgeous in an elegant way that upstages the OnePlus 3.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=2B2D32]Just like its predecessor, the Axon 7 has a row of dot cutouts on the top and bottom of its front face, but unlike the Pro, these grilles actually hide speakers. (The old Axon's grilles misled a lot of people into thinking it had dual speakers, but it only had one.) Below the display are capacitive keys for Back, Home and All Apps. There's also a dual SIM card slot on the left edge -- a welcome feature for frequent travelers.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=2B2D32]ZTE says the Axon 7 will eventually be ready for Google's "Daydream" mobile VR platform, and its display certainly seems prepared for the task. The 5.5-inch Quad HD AMOLED screen was a great canvas for my Netflix binging and Instagram sprees, but it was unfortunately dim in sunlight. Although it doesn't fix the lack of brightness, the Axon offers built-in software that lets you customize the display's color output. The tool lets you pick from three saturation profiles -- "Natural," "Colorful" and "Gorgeous" -- as well as "Warm," "Normal" and "Cool" color temperatures. I set the screen to "Gorgeous" and "Normal," which delivered higher contrast levels and deeper hues.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=2B2D32]Complementing the screen is a HiFi audio setup. Not many smartphone makers pay attention to quality sound, but ZTE is so proud of its system that it devoted six pages out of a 33-page reviewer's guide to it. The only other component that got as much love was the camera. For the most part, the coverage was justified.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=2B2D32]The Axon's dual front-facing stereo speakers pumped out distinct, clear sound that drowned out my laptop's speakers while both devices were set to their maximum volumes. The phone's speakers were so clear, in fact, that I could easily hear the crinkling of wrapping paper in the background of a scene over dialogue and overlapping music. The Axon was also loud enough to hear from another room. Dolby Atmos enhancements created a surround sound that is more immersive than I've experienced on other devices. One of the few other phones to place such a heavy emphasis on audio is the HTC 10, which lets you tailor music output to your hearing.[/COLOR]

That audio part is true. Well everything is true. Due to the Dolby Atmos DSP, you can change the sound to your liking. I don't really need to use it because it sounds good without it. It sounds even better when it's enabled.

Jul 31, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #42 of 199
Could you provide some screenshots of the different audio settings you are able to change?

One thing I'm looking forward to is if Viper4Android can be installed eventually and how the amp compares to the HTC 10 I had briefly. With it, I could really boost the Viper bass with no volume loss during heavy parts. Versus my G4 which cut severely, and my Exynos S7 which only cuts a tiny tiny amount.

Jul 31, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #43 of 199
Could you provide some of the different audio settings you are able to change?

One thing I'm looking forward to is if Viper4Android can be installed eventually and how the amp compares to the HTC 10 I had briefly. With it, I could really boost the Viper bass with no volume loss during heavy parts. Versus my G4 which cut severely, and my Exynos S7 which only cuts a tiny tiny amount.

You can enhance the volume, midrange and soundstage. Plus the 5 band EQ. From Dolby Atmos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back