Zoom U-44: all-in-one solution for computer audio and surprisingly sweet sound
Aug 21, 2021 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Ferbose

Headphoneus Supremus
After purchasing Zoom U-44 for 6 months, I can't believe I am writing a review to describe how good it sounds.
Here is why I highly recommend it for computer audiophiles.

(1) Unbeatable functionality, a swiss-army-knife for all audio needs
Computer audio interface: 96/24, USB, 4-in-4-out
Inputs: channel 1-2 are two mic preamps w/ 48V phantom power, channel 3-4 are optical/coaxial/special accessory microphones
Outputs: preamp out (TRS) + 2 line outs (RCA) + optical/coaxial + one headphone jack
Stand-alone DAC/ADC: optical/coaxial SPDIF, powered by 2AA batteries or 5V USB power (non-computer)
Extras: iPhone/iPad/Android compatible, MIDI connection, onboard mixer function

(2) All of these functions for a street price of $180. Unbelievable value.

(3) Small footprint (19 cm long), coat pocket portable, internal battery power

(4) Headphone driving capability: sufficient to drive power-hungry beast Hifiman HE-560, yet quiet and clean for high-sensitivity Sennheiser HD-595. This will cover all headphone types.

(5) Sound quality: pleasant and clean sound for recording and playback. Not yet professional grade yet (certainly not at this price), but please read on to see why I love it.

IMG-2102.jpg

I bought this as a handy recording interface for laptop computer. I never expected that I would write a review about how good it sounds. I am used to much more expensive gears.

I own two pro-grade mic preamps: Audient Mico and Sytek MPX-4Aii, and a custom-modified professional recorder Tascam HD-P2. Zoom U-44 is not as quiet and resolved as the console-grade Audient Mico, but certainly good enough for non-professional recording jobs and podcasts.

My reference systems are Harbeth P3-ESR and Harbeth HL5-ES speakers, and four pairs of AKG K1000 headphones (bass heavy and bass light versions). I treasure sweet and natural tone above all else. For DACs, I am accustomed to the pro quality of my Benchmark DAC1 and DAC2, but my Marvalve Model 2 DAC is clearly in a league above. Speaker amps are Nuforce Reference 9 V3 SE (200 clean watts) and SAC Thailand Minute EL34 (single-ended tube, 10 sweet watts).

What I love about Zoom U-44 is how it pairs with Hifiman HE-560. I never expected the inexpensive U-44 to properly drive this power hungry beast, but yes it can. One day I plugged it in and started enjoying music a lot. I am surprised and perplexed.

First, I compared U-44 in USB mode to NAD D3020 ($500) in USB mode, both driving HE-560 headphones. D3020 has a bit more power but its sound quality is relatively poor. Compared to U-44, D3030 sounds more sibilant, lacking in air and details, weak in bass extension, tonally colored (in a bad way). U-44 is more refined, neutral, transparent, and pleasant. D3020's headphone is just an afterthought, but U-44 has the quality of a dedicated headphone amp.

Second, I compared USB-U44-HE560 versus USB-U44-Toslink-Benchmark DAC1-Cayin HA1A-HE560 (with extensive NOS tube rolling). Compared to Zoom as DAC/Amp ($180), the Benchmark/Cayin combo ($1800 including tubes) sounded a little more spacious, a little smoother and rounded, a bit more resolved, and a bit warmer. But the difference is minor. Strangely, I do enjoy Zoom driving HE-560 very much and never feel that anything is missing when I am not in gear-reviewing mode. I used to like HE-560 with Benchmark/Cayin but did not bother to listen much. With Zoom U-44, the setup is so convenient and portable that I ended up listening more on HE-560 and fell in love (7 years after buying these phones).

To me, convenience is also very important for everyday enjoyment. Zoom U-44 is so easy to set up, move around, and use anywhere, anytime. No worries about space, heat, turning it off, good cables, or breaking it. I can even carry it when I travel. I mostly listen to classical, jazz, and other acoustic recordings. For this type of music listening, having a Harbeth P3ESR as desktop system may counts as one of life's luxuries. When I need that luxury all by myself, Hifiman HE-560 does the job, and I am happy to drive it with Zoom U-44, anytime and anywhere.

The marvel of modern electronics is that we can get decent sound in cheaper and more convenient packages. Zoom U-44 is a fine example, and its designers know how to get proper sound with budget components--that's called experience and proper design. It can do almost everything and sounds decent with anything. It will be useful in may situation for many years. Highly recommended.

Attachments

• IMG-2104.JPG
    IMG-2104.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 2
After purchasing Zoom U-44 for 6 months, I can't believe I am writing a review to describe how good it sounds.
Here is why I highly recommend it for computer audiophiles.

(1) Unbeatable functionality, a swiss-army-knife for all audio needs
Computer audio interface: 96/24, USB, 4-in-4-out
Inputs: channel 1-2 are two mic preamps w/ 48V phantom power, channel 3-4 are optical/coaxial/special accessory microphones
Outputs: preamp out (TRS) + 2 line outs (RCA) + optical/coaxial + one headphone jack
Stand-alone DAC/ADC: optical/coaxial SPDIF, powered by 2AA batteries or 5V USB power (non-computer)
Extras: iPhone/iPad/Android compatible, MIDI connection, onboard mixer function

(2) All of these functions for a street price of $180. Unbelievable value.

(3) Small footprint (19 cm long), coat pocket portable, internal battery power

(4) Headphone driving capability: sufficient to drive power-hungry beast Hifiman HE-560, yet quiet and clean for high-sensitivity Sennheiser HD-595. This will cover all headphone types.

(5) Sound quality: pleasant and clean sound for recording and playback. Not yet professional grade yet (certainly not at this price), but please read on to see why I love it.

IMG-2102.jpg

I bought this as a handy recording interface for laptop computer. I never expected that I would write a review about how good it sounds. I am used to much more expensive gears.

I own two pro-grade mic preamps: Audient Mico and Sytek MPX-4Aii, and a custom-modified professional recorder Tascam HD-P2. Zoom U-44 is not as quiet and resolved as the console-grade Audient Mico, but certainly good enough for non-professional recording jobs and podcasts.

My reference systems are Harbeth P3-ESR and Harbeth HL5-ES speakers, and four pairs of AKG K1000 headphones (bass heavy and bass light versions). I treasure sweet and natural tone above all else. For DACs, I am accustomed to the pro quality of my Benchmark DAC1 and DAC2, but my Marvalve Model 2 DAC is clearly in a league above. Speaker amps are Nuforce Reference 9 V3 SE (200 clean watts) and SAC Thailand Minute EL34 (single-ended tube, 10 sweet watts).

What I love about Zoom U-44 is how it pairs with Hifiman HE-560. I never expected the inexpensive U-44 to properly drive this power hungry beast, but yes it can. One day I plugged it in and started enjoying music a lot. I am surprised and perplexed.

First, I compared U-44 in USB mode to NAD D3020 ($500) in USB mode, both driving HE-560 headphones. D3020 has a bit more power but its sound quality is relatively poor. Compared to U-44, D3030 sounds more sibilant, lacking in air and details, weak in bass extension, tonally colored (in a bad way). U-44 is more refined, neutral, transparent, and pleasant. D3020's headphone is just an afterthought, but U-44 has the quality of a dedicated headphone amp.

Second, I compared USB-U44-HE560 versus USB-U44-Toslink-Benchmark DAC1-Cayin HA1A-HE560 (with extensive NOS tube rolling). Compared to Zoom as DAC/Amp ($180), the Benchmark/Cayin combo ($1800 including tubes) sounded a little more spacious, a little smoother and rounded, a bit more resolved, and a bit warmer. But the difference is minor. Strangely, I do enjoy Zoom driving HE-560 very much and never feel that anything is missing when I am not in gear-reviewing mode. I used to like HE-560 with Benchmark/Cayin but did not bother to listen much. With Zoom U-44, the setup is so convenient and portable that I ended up listening more on HE-560 and fell in love (7 years after buying these phones).

To me, convenience is also very important for everyday enjoyment. Zoom U-44 is so easy to set up, move around, and use anywhere, anytime. No worries about space, heat, turning it off, good cables, or breaking it. I can even carry it when I travel. I mostly listen to classical, jazz, and other acoustic recordings. For this type of music listening, having a Harbeth P3ESR as desktop system may counts as one of life's luxuries. When I need that luxury all by myself, Hifiman HE-560 does the job, and I am happy to drive it with Zoom U-44, anytime and anywhere.

The marvel of modern electronics is that we can get decent sound in cheaper and more convenient packages. Zoom U-44 is a fine example, and its designers know how to get proper sound with budget components--that's called experience and proper design. It can do almost everything and sounds decent with anything. It will be useful in may situation for many years. Highly recommended.
Thanks for the review! When you use it out and about, what player do you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back