Zoom Lens.
Jun 14, 2007 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

panik343

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm just getting into photography (digital) and I am currently using a Rebel XT with a Tamron 17-50mm 1:2.8. I'm very pleased with everything but the zoom on it. If anyone could suggest me any good starting zoom lenses I would really appreciate it.

Jun 14, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 3
Heh, I'm in the same situation. I too have the Tamron 17-50 on my 400D (find it to be an excellent choice too) and thinking of buying something that has a bit more reach.

Personally I was first thinking of getting the Canon 70-200 4L. Which is an excellent lens, a better price/performance ratio is hard to find. However, f4 can be very limiting, so right now I'm thinking of blowing my budget and get the IS version of the same lens. Since having IS (4 stops!) makes the lens usable indoors and on cloudy days, I'm thinking that the IS will turn out to be very useful.

Is it a starting zoom? Maybe not. But buying quality always pays off in the long run...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 3
a good starting zoom would be the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro. you can get this lens for relatively cheap (about $150 used) and it's a pretyy good lens for the price. it has good range and remains fairly sharp. you'll probably find yourself wanting to upgrade to some L glass later on though (i'm getting the itch to move to the 70-200 f/4 L as mentioned above). i would love to go to the 70-200 f/2.8 L, but that's just way too expensive and i don't find myself photographing enough to justify the costs. i'd rather have an UWA zoom first (sigma 10-20 or canon 10-22)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back