Zoom H1 Audio Recorder
Jun 1, 2010 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Edwood

1/2 hamster, 1/2 Turkish∙ Blueteething
I'm definitely getting this one if the reviews are favorable. 

Small enough to attach to the top of my Canon AVCHD Camcorder.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=2053&brandID=4

-Ed

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 18
Looks like a nice find!  I recently did a new investigation of the field recorder market and bought a few from the narrowed down list.

They all went back except one, which I kept based upon sound quality, quietness of mic preamps, resolution/format flexibility, battery life, size, flexibility, features, etc.  The Yamaha Pocketrack C24.  I love it and will be bringing it to CJ.

http://recordingengineering.suite101.com/article.cfm/yamaha-pocketrak-c24--audio-recorder-review

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-PocketTrak-C24-2GB-Pocket-Recorder-?sku=485302&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0&gclid=CKDq6uSOhaICFSAxiQodfi2yEA

Jan 29, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 18
Well, nearly 7 months later, I ended up getting a Zoom H1, since Amazon dropped the price to about $86.

Left plenty of budget left over like a shock mount, furry windscreen, and cold shoe adapter.

Feeding the line out/headphone out into the microphone port on Canon HF100 makes matching up audio in post very easy.

Haven't gotten the furry windscreen in yet, so I haven't been able to do any outdoor recordings, the H1's mics are very sensitive to wind noise.

-Ed

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 18

Quote:
Well, nearly 7 months later, I ended up getting a Zoom H1, since Amazon dropped the price to about $86.

Left plenty of budget left over like a shock mount, furry windscreen, and cold shoe adapter.

Feeding the line out/headphone out into the microphone port on Canon HF100 makes matching up audio in post very easy.

Haven't gotten the furry windscreen in yet, so I haven't been able to do any outdoor recordings, the H1's mics are very sensitive to wind noise.

-Ed

Nice Ed! I have the H4n myself....use it to make binaural recordings in hi-res! Made my own furry windscreen though. We need to hang out sometime soon.

Feb 25, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 18
I have the H4N as well.  It's nice but I've never compared it to anything else.  I use it for audio with my Canon 5Dmkii which I bought for video.  Makes an amazing combination! 

Feb 25, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
I have the H4N as well.  It's nice but I've never compared it to anything else.  I use it for audio with my Canon 5Dmkii which I bought for video.  Makes an amazing combination! 

Before buying it, I compared to all the other portable recorders out there up to $1,200.00. I spent about 3 months trying out different units and reading reviews and critically listening to recorded samples from various microphones on each unit. I thought that for the audio quality, # of options and the size, it was the best choice. The price isn't shabby at all either!

Feb 25, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 18
That's good to hear.  My biggest complaint is that you can't adjust the levels for each channel independently, it's a one size fits all, so you can't mic 2 different things at once.  It would be great to be able to input a lavelier mic and also record ambient noise with the onboard mic all at once. 

Feb 25, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
That's good to hear.  My biggest complaint is that you can't adjust the levels for each channel independently, it's a one size fits all, so you can't mic 2 different things at once.  It would be great to be able to input a lavelier mic and also record ambient noise with the onboard mic all at once. 

You need to upgrade to the newest firmware. Problem solved!

May 6, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
Check this out: Olympus LS-20M. Was gonna go with a Zoom, but am reconsidering. 

Looks fun for recording video with decent quality audio. However, the Zoom H4n still wins in the audio department due to all the features it contains.

May 20, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #13 of 18
I had a bit of a false start recently.

Always used to use a Sony Minidisk recorder. But though an upgrade after 8 years would be good. Deep breath and plunge into Digitalness. Something with built in mikes I could leave in a corner.

Then again extra tracks might be nice, so a Tascam DP004 was it.

Ahem.... Then again extra tracks might be nice, so a Tascam DP008 actually made it into the shopping bag. :)  Tremendous bit of kit.

Hooray! analogue controls like a Portastudio! Hopeless as a field recorder... Records brilliantly, awkward to edit down into individual CD tracks from, say, a big "leaving it running throughout a concert" track.

(Legal note. I wasn't bootlegging gigs.  My own concert band...)

Now the proud and happy owner of a Tascam DR07mk2. The one with the flippy A-B  or X-Y mikes. Sounds fab, and is incredibly easy to use. Even for me with my Luddite control-by-endless-menus phobia.

Job done.

Gratuitous plug for Digital Village in North London.
Good prices. Non-arsey. Indulged me arriving late (courtesy of London Transport) - "late" as in they were shutters half way down closed and let me take the 07. That just doesn't happen these days.

May 29, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #14 of 18
For anyone interested, a week and a half ago my target had Zoom H1's going for 50% off, so 50 bucks. I never saw them before then, I'm assuming we had them in our backroom and just never put them out on the floor until enough time went by where they were clearanced and forced to the floor haha. I would advise giving your local target a call and see if they have them in stock

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #15 of 18
i see why my other post went unanswered. there was already a thread about this! on that note, if you want something tiny....yamaha or dr-08? i have read great stuff about the yamahas. the dr-08 gets very mixed reviews. one guy says it sounds better than the pcm-d50! that is hard to imagine though. the h1 is too big for me. i had the h2 and returned it. no speaker blew it for me. plus i want something that simply records audio. not a guitar tuner,metronome etc. the ls-11 was great but also too big for me. l i am guessing at that size the yamaha is better? however, is it a lot better? since i can get the dr-08 for almost nothing. anything else that small that really stands out?
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back