Zodiac
Mar 3, 2007 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Organizer for Can Jam '09
Probably one of the best "true" crime movies I've ever seen.

A riveting and chilling thriller, if you like this type of flick a must see.

Mar 3, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 28
Wasn't there a documentary on TV about that last night? You're talking about the Zodiac Killer in California in the late 60's early 70's, right? I've seen this documentary a couple of times. Chilling is right. No more parking for me.

Mar 3, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #4 of 28
I saw it last night too. It held me and then there was a slow part right in the middle and then it gripped me again. Id give it a B+.

Mar 5, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #5 of 28
I thought it was extrememly boring. Honestly, I felt like leaving in the last part of the movie but thought I had too much invested at that point. This movie was more or less billed as a thriller (especially given the ties to Seven and Panic Room), but it couldn't have been farther away. I suppose the acting and directing were good, but it was way too long and went nowhere. I was really let down by the ending too which was doubly bad because I was really hoping the end would justify the means.

Mar 5, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 28
Got a chance to see it yesterday and thought it was a great movie. Didn't go into the movie expecting it to be a thriller. It was interesting to watch the movie unfold based on a timeline in the actual case files.

Mar 5, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #7 of 28
David Fincher fan here, so I am a bit biased...

I enjoyed the movie, but I thought that it lost its steam near the end. A little editing to make it a bit shorter would have been a good move. Otherwise a pretty decent flick, and highly recommended to those who are into stuff like 'Cold Case' and other crime dramas. If memory serves, the movie stayed very closed to the true life events as they actually occured. So if you are fascinated by the true 'Zodiac Killer' and other serial killer stories, then you will most certainly enjoy this film.

Mar 5, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought it was extrememly boring. Honestly, I felt like leaving in the last part of the movie but thought I had too much invested at that point. This movie was more or less billed as a thriller (especially given the ties to Seven and Panic Room), but it couldn't have been farther away. I suppose the acting and directing were good, but it was way too long and went nowhere. I was really let down by the ending too which was doubly bad because I was really hoping the end would justify the means.

Well it was based (and entirely accurate based on what I read) on the true story. If you were expecting some kinda shootout between Z and the police or something, you saw the wrong movie. All that aside, it was an excellent movie . Typical great Fincher. Not as exciting as Se7en, but great nonetheless.

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 28
I remember reading the first non-fiction book that came out that was written by the editor of the SF Chronicle that recieved the letters from the Zodiac. I haven't seen the film yet, but have read a lot of stuff online too.. It's freaky, especially since I live in Sonoma County where a lot of it happened. The Redwood Empire Ice Skaking Rink (The late Charles Schulz's place) is just down the street from where I live
blink.gif

May 4, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #10 of 28
I just caught this flick. It was an excellent nuts and bolts crime drama.

The latest issue of cinemafx contains an article discussing the cgi work involved in recreating historic San Francisco - very interesting. The amount of generated work was more than I imagined.

Aug 11, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #13 of 28
Caught it on DVD today. Probably one of the few movies to ever make it out of the cutting room where things start to happen around the 2 hour mark, instead of the 20 minute mark. I like David Fincher and I've been waiting a long time to see this movie, pretty psyched about seeing it, actually, but it turned out to be a somewhat dull experience, sadly. I don't know, maybe it's too good at recreating the tedium of an endless, essentially fruitless police investigation. It felt to me like a book translated to the screen chronologically and as straightforward as a Missouri plain -- without any peaks or valleys for a joy ride. Yeah, there are three killings, but they also felt as mechanical and analytical as a police report. Fincher definitely went too clinical in his approach to telling the story. Maybe he felt the subject matter deserved it, but I didn't as a viewer.

Aug 11, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, the picnic stabbing scene was just riveting. Enough to make nightmares. <shiver>

But other than that, it was pretty boring. I guess real life is not really all that exciting.

-Ed

well thats the point.

its supposed to be more lifelike then the typical stabby stab movies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back