Zodiac Gold "Runner Up" for Product Of The Year in Stereophile
Nov 14, 2011 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

marceljames

Member of the Trade: Antelope Audio
Not bad for a newcomer.  The Zodiac Gold has been our biggest seller for Antelope in 2011 and we're extremely proud of all the new markets it's opened up for us.

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 13
Thank you.  It was in the Headphone category.  I suppose people are still wrapping their heads around what a USB DAC with built-in pre-amp AND headphone pre-amp actually is.  But, we've never advertised with them, so you have to respect their unbiased choice.  :)

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 13
That's . . . weird, but should actually be worth more here given that this is a headphone forum.  :)  I just bought the Gold combo myself mainly for the DAC function (still waiting to receive the Voltikus) but am excited to hear that the headphone amp was not just an afterthought.

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 13
Are you the guy who bought the Noir (black) Bundle?  I'm sorry about the delay on the Voltikus.  We just switched our logistics center and your Voltikus is boxed up and leaving tomorrow.  I'm sorry about the delay.  It wasn't the dealer's fault at all, just fyi.

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #6 of 13
Hey Marcel - Yes, I am that guy.  No worries about the delay.  Neal is great (not only is he a terrific salesperson, but he is a big proponent of your product) and I won't hold him (or you) responsible.

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #7 of 13

I've not had a chance to try out the Planar's, but with the Zodiac Noir's selectable impedances (120 and 0 ohms), you should have plenty of power for them.

I'll have to ask our engineers if we have some THD numbers, etc for you.

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #8 of 13
Hi Marcel,

Congratulations! I know the Gold I am currently burning in and testing has gotten better and better and is an excellent product! I am very impressed  - and that coming from a vinyl guy!

Todd

Nov 17, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
Hi Marcel,

Congratulations! I know the Gold I am currently burning in and testing has gotten better and better and is an excellent product! I am very impressed  - and that coming from a vinyl guy!

Todd

That's great to hear Todd.  Looking forward to your official review.

Nov 22, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #11 of 13
When I first heard them - I was amazed at the sound - given that i was hearing tubes where this is a solid state circuit ... if only the headphone volume pot was also remote controllable ...

Keep up the good work ...

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
When I first heard them - I was amazed at the sound - given that i was hearing tubes where this is a solid state circuit ... if only the headphone volume pot was also remote controllable ...

Keep up the good work ...

Depending on your budget, the new Eclipse does have the relay control on the headphone out and sounds quite amazing.  Shipping around mid-Dec.  It's marketed for studios, but we're already getting interest from audiophiles who want to record hi-rez, for example.

Regards,
Marcel

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #13 of 13
A few days ago I changed the 2 fuses in the Voltikus power supply for the black hifi tuning Supreme fuses....made my antelope gold even better sounding...a very worhwhile upgrade . The dac now sounds even more like real music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back