Zodiac Gold Headphone Setting for Audeze LCD-2?
Dec 28, 2011 at 9:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Cycles2

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased an Antelope Zodiac Gold DAC to use as my USB DAC for my Mac Mini.  Since the Zodiac Gold also has a repportedly good headphone amp, I also purchased Audeze LCD-2 headphones.  The Zodiac Gold allows two headphone settings; 120 ohms and 0 (zero) ohms. As many of you know the Audeze LCD-2s are rated at 60 ohms.  Does anyone have any experience with the proper Zodiac Gold setting (120 or 0 ohms) for the LCD-2s.

Note - before purchasing the LCD-2s I tried an old pair of Sennheiser 424X headphones and needed to set the Zodiac Gold at 0 ohms as the 120 ohm setting didn't produce ample sound level for the Sennheiser's, possibily due to their high impedance (2K ohms).  With the LCD-2s, when I switch between the 120 and 0 ohm setting, I'm not sure I hear a noticeable difference in sound level or sound quality.  I'm inclined to use the 120 ohm setting thinking it may protect the LCD-2s.  Does anyone have any experience with this setup or can lend advice on how to make the proper selection of 120 or 0 ohms?

Thanks,
Brian ...

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 12
Zodiac is too rich for my blood but have you tried just listening at the 60 ohm level and 120 ohm level. Its pretty difficult to blow headphone especially when theyre quality made and double especially if you listen for a few seconds a t a time just to test for impedance mismatch.

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #3 of 12
Always the low output impedance setting. It may not do much with the LCD-2 because of its planar design, but there's no reason to use high output impedance. The only headphones that are designed for high output impedance these days are Beyerdynamic ones, and I'd argue it's better to use low output impedance for those two if you want an honest signal.

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for the replies.  Head Injury, you suggest using the low impedance setting on my Zodiac Gold headphone amp.  Since the Zodiac Gold offers either 0 ohms or 120 ohms, I assume you're suggesting to use the 0 ohm setting.  Is this correct?

Thanks,
Brian ...

Dec 31, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #5 of 12
Hi Brian,

Download the Zodiac control panel and set the hp impedance at 0 ohm and the hp amp attenuation at 0 db. Consider upgrading the stock lcd cable to something like a Q cable...Be prepared for a very long break in time for the dac....it take at least 700 hours before the sound starting to stabilize....before that break in is a very bumpy ride...

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks Kindval. 

I have about 400 hours on the Zodiac Gold DAC and I'm already happy with it so if it gets better with more break-in, I'll be thrilled.

I have a completely different question.  Have you ever tried connecting the Zodiac DAC to a Mac via Toslink?  I historically have used USB to connect my DACs to my Mac Mini computer but I saw a Marcel James video mentioning that the Zodiac can be connected to a Mac via Toslink.  He never mentioned connecting to a computer via USB so I'm wondering if Toslink is sonically better than USB,

I tried it today following the instructions in the Zodiac user manual and it worked first shot. Many Mac Mini owners may not be aware that the audio out port on the rear of the Mac Mini doubles as an optical out. The Zodiac comes with a Toslink cable and a Toslink mini adapter (needed for the Mac Mini).

I haven't sat down to do any comparison listening between USB and Toslink and was wondering if you or other Zodiac owners have attempted this and what their opinion of USB vs. Toslink is from a sound quality perspective.  I do believe the Mac OS has a 96K limit on the digital out port so for those that have songs with rez rates higher than 96K, Toslink may not be a suitable option.

Thanks,
Brian ...

Jan 7, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #7 of 12
Kindval,

As you suggested I downloaded the Zodiac application to my computer (Mac mini).  It seems pretty useless as about the only functions you can do is power on/off and set the attenuation level, all doable form the Zodiac Gold remote.  I also couldn't find a way to change the headphone impedance setting via the Zodiac application as the Zodiac must be turned off and then you hold the source button to initiate the headphone impedance setting.  The Zodiac application doesn't do anythng if the Zodiac is powered off. 

Am I missing somethig?

Thanks,
Brian ... 

Jan 7, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycles2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a completely different question.  Have you ever tried connecting the Zodiac DAC to a Mac via Toslink?  I historically have used USB to connect my DACs to my Mac Mini computer but I saw a Marcel James video mentioning that the Zodiac can be connected to a Mac via Toslink.  He never mentioned connecting to a computer via USB so I'm wondering if Toslink is sonically better than USB,

I've used the toslink vs the USB on/off the last couple of years on my macbook and I can say with 100% certainty, for my ears USB sounds better.

There are other people that have had the same results with Macs and have reported similar results.

Sometimes it's DAC dependent, but why don't you plug one in the USB, plug the other in the toslink.  Go into the Utilities setup and switch back and forth between them.

Jan 7, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #9 of 12
roker,

I did a bit of A/B comparison between USB and Toslink on the Zodiac Gold and Mac Mini and I agree that USB is better.  The USB option seems to have more dynamics and air around the instruments.  I'm not sure how much it matters but I'm using the stock Toslnk cable that came with the Zodiac vs. a well regarded Ridge Street Audio USB cable.

Jan 8, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
roker,

I did a bit of A/B comparison between USB and Toslink on the Zodiac Gold and Mac Mini and I agree that USB is better.  The USB option seems to have more dynamics and air around the instruments.  I'm not sure how much it matters but I'm using the stock Toslnk cable that came with the Zodiac vs. a well regarded Ridge Street Audio USB cable.

That's weird isn't it?  I heard it's due to poor toslink implementation by Apple that introduces more jitter than it should.  Either way, my system only gets played through the USB.

Jan 8, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
I recently purchased an Antelope Zodiac Gold DAC to use as my USB DAC for my Mac Mini.  Since the Zodiac Gold also has a repportedly good headphone amp, I also purchased Audeze LCD-2 headphones.  The Zodiac Gold allows two headphone settings; 120 ohms and 0 (zero) ohms. As many of you know the Audeze LCD-2s are rated at 60 ohms.  Does anyone have any experience with the proper Zodiac Gold setting (120 or 0 ohms) for the LCD-2s.

Note - before purchasing the LCD-2s I tried an old pair of Sennheiser 424X headphones and needed to set the Zodiac Gold at 0 ohms as the 120 ohm setting didn't produce ample sound level for the Sennheiser's, possibily due to their high impedance (2K ohms).  With the LCD-2s, when I switch between the 120 and 0 ohm setting, I'm not sure I hear a noticeable difference in sound level or sound quality.  I'm inclined to use the 120 ohm setting thinking it may protect the LCD-2s.  Does anyone have any experience with this setup or can lend advice on how to make the proper selection of 120 or 0 ohms?

Thanks,
Brian ...

Brian, what a coincidence -- I just bought a Zodiac base model and an LCD-2 too.  The Zodiac silver doesn't have the switchable impedance, though.  Anyway, I agree with Head Injury and recommend you use the 0 ohm.

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #12 of 12
Hi Brian,

Sorry for the late rep;y, but I was traveling in India......  it is strange, because when I open the Zodiac control panel I can change the amp attenuation as well as the amp impedance....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back