"ZO What" The Heck Is With The Zo
May 10, 2011 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TheSatelliteGuy

100+ Head-Fier
     I read a couple of threads about a ZO. I did some research on what the heck a ZO did. It is a electronic sub woofer for IEM and headphones. Just hearing that in a review I almost stopped looking. I was sure it had to be crapola. BTW it is being sold by Sharper Image which is strike two. It goes between your source or amp and your cans. Strike three. The last place I want anything screwing with my grip. So I said I would order one anyway and very carefully unwrap it so I could send it back and get a refund.
     It was $99 with free shipping and showed up in 2 days. It looks like a mi git amp. Very light and very small and easy to hide in your rip bag. I hooked it up to my dog walker portable which has a 71b, Imod, and JH13 on a ALO mini because you cannot use this devise with a balanced.  I used ALO ic's so I new I would be able to pick this thing apartand know exactly what I was listening to.
     The dogs took me for a 2 hour walk and I decided to start with no ZO. After a hour I stopped and put the ZO in between the 71b and the ALO mini and turned it on. The first thing I had to do was turn the volume down on the amp. It went very much higher when I turned on the ZO. This got me concerned because I do not want anything introducing anything new into my sounds. When I got the volume to the point that it was OK I adjusted the ZO. This is simple. One toggle switch. They start you in the middle and you can go up or down with your sub woofer control. 
     As I adjusted the control every 10 minutes I found less was better for me. I became very aware of the details of my music and found the ZO is very much on the transparent side. Not 100% but for me who is very particular I was not bothered be its presents.What bothered the hell out of me is when I took it out of the system and A/B the difference. It was very much like turning off you sub woofer in your home sound system. Everything seemed to lose its oomph.  The sound  became thin. Well that was interesting. Yesterday I thought I had the best sound on the face of the planet and it now sounded thin. Holly crap. My awareness es were just rocked. 
     Now I do believe sound is a very esoteric thing. It is only important to your liking. Even beyond that, many can enjoy a $500 system more than some can enjoy a $5000 system. Many of us own $2500 cans. And some nuts like me own several. I feel after one day of playing with this ZO that audio people of all levels can enjoy the ZO electronic sub woofer. The help on the lower end with IEM without bloating is very serious. If the devise is turned to high it will destroy the sound. But when you find your sweet spot with its settings, it promotes a level of sound that my 4 sets of custom IEM have never delivered before the ZO. They havesomething here and I do believe there is a place in the audiophile world for it. They could probable lisense out the technologe to amp makers sometime in the future.
    In closing I would like to say that I really liked having a sub woofer on my dog walk. I will probably buy a second one because I am not big on shuffling grip around every time a change rigs. I am sure I would love my music without it and be as happy as I was with everything as it was yesterday but I know if I put this little guy in the pathway of my IEM the sound would be much more complete and satisfying now that my sub woofer was on again. Tonight I am going to try the ZO with my XIN maxed rig. It has 2 SM4Maxed matched amps. This was a necessity before Ray made 71b with balance ability. I also have 2 71a's to boot. One for my right ear and one for my left, to correct my imperfect hearing balance. I have a 20% hearing loss on my right side do to a eardrum transplant form a surfing accident 35 years ago. With the 2 amps there is a Imod and ALO dock all hooked up with ALO cable and dock. It will be interesting to hear what the ZO does with the DX1000's. ZO GO GET ONE you won't regret it. I encourage anyone who has exposure to this devise to add or rebuttal to my findings tonight. See Ya Bye

May 11, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 14
Congrats, welcome to the club (also an ongoing thread dedicated to the ZO in here too)!  From my limited time with the ZO, I think it is quite solid for what it is and for what it claims to do, it does very well and is the real deal.

As I've posted before, it did miracles for my DBA-02's, to the point where I can't even listen to them any more w/o the ZO.  With my other two fav's, it hasn't been as stellar of an experience, but still a good addition (I think...so far).  Will have to do some more direct testing with it and other ear/headphones.

May 11, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #3 of 14
It would be really nice if this could act as an actual amp though, with real volume control.  I don't really want to be forced to run the sound through my iPhone's headphone out since it's not exactly the best out there...of course if I were to get a better source it'd be fine, but I'd rather stick with my iPhone if possible.  And there's no way I'm gonna be carrying two amps with me. :p

May 11, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 14
      I became very aware of the details of my music and found the ZO is very much on the transparent side. Not 100% but for me who is very particular I was not bothered be its presents.What bothered the hell out of me is when I took it out of the system and A/B the difference. It was very much like turning off you sub woofer in your home sound system. Everything seemed to lose its oomph.  The sound  became thin. Well that was interesting. Yesterday I thought I had the best sound on the face of the planet and it now sounded thin. Holly crap. My awareness es were just rocked.

Very nice review. I like the way you described it and agree.

May 11, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
It would be really nice if this could act as an actual amp though, with real volume control.  I don't really want to be forced to run the sound through my iPhone's headphone out since it's not exactly the best out there...of course if I were to get a better source it'd be fine, but I'd rather stick with my iPhone if possible.  And there's no way I'm gonna be carrying two amps with me. :p

I read that the ZO II is to be released this year and the volume control is gonna be added. but i couldn't find anything about this in the official site so...

May 11, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 14
Yeah, I hope so, there's no way I'd use this thing if it didn't have a volume control.  Even the simplest and cheapest amps have them, it shouldn't be too much trouble for them to implement it.

Jul 20, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 14
Yea your experiences resembles most other people's experiences with ZO too. It's important to find that level that works best for you and your headphone but most of the time close to the lowest level should be fine unless you're a basshead determined to get some open headphones outputting enough bass for your liking or something. For my headphones level 1 boost works best but that's cuz they are already so bassy. :p It's funny how transparent and balanced this amp is (talking about flat or lvl 1-2 max) looking at the price and its name though, who could have guessed a device like this actually delivering and doing VERY well in these other aspects too when bass boost capability is put aside even compared to the competitors at similar price.

At least I read that volume control is supposed to be one of the new features of v2 coming from MizMoxie which is a DigiZoid rep. Decisions like this wouldn't usually change in the last minute but then they would probably get launched a little later too. OK well if it would turn out the volume control were bugged and lead to channel imbalance, MAYBE, let's just wait and see. Spreading plausible inaccurate info isn't always the smartest pre-launch. :p

Jul 23, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 14
AZ April meet:http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/551075/impressions-phoenix-spring-jam-saturday-april-23rd

Scroll down to pix 5-7 to see digiZoid's display with the prototype of the new unit on a board. If you like the sub, I think
you'll love the new unit. Full spectrum indeed. As you can see, it's definitely not in the ready-for-production state.
They said sometime in 2012.

Scroll down a ways more, and you will see the designer presenting me with my very own sub. Way cool.

Jul 23, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #12 of 14
Nice pics. That looks quite advanced, it's the indeed the "v3" they've already talked about a bit with both bass AND treble adjustment and it's already on my "to-buy" list like v2 haha. I love how this company is doing business, spilling out beans of a prototype even like a year before, I mean v2 hasn't even yet been released and we can already see pictures of the interior/the setup for v3. O.o Actually I haven't seen how a ZO looks like inside yet and I don't want to try open my own one so that was cool to see. Oh and that's what Karen looks like, at least through email when I've dealt with her she seems like a very kind person. ^^

Did you get any info regarding v2 that should be released quite soon. Like will it really have a volume control?

Jul 23, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #13 of 14
I don't think they used the terms v2 or v3, just what you see written on the card, so i can't speak to that. It did have a pair of up/down
buttons for bass/treble (the four shown), and I think it had a master volume, but don't remember exactly. That may be what's shown between the batteries
and the circuit. I also can't remember the function of the switch at the top of the bottom pic.  Anyway, I remember being very impressed with the sound.
Before the meet, I'd never even heard of digiZoid, but visiting with them revealed the great drive and passion they have for what they're doing. Nice to see.

Jul 23, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #14 of 14
Yea well it sure has suprised lots of people here on head-fi, I've yet to see a non satisfied customer lol. FYI there's been talk about a "v2" that might be released as soon as august/september or so and the mentioned features/improvements were:

- Volume Control
- Tweaked or more contour bass levels (currently there's quite a step between the lowest flat level which actually reduces the bass slightly compared to not using ZO and the first step on the bass boost). There's no word about whether it changes exactly this but I'd see it the most logical with tweaked or more levels to make less of a bass boost for the first level as there's probably something along 2.5dB or so boost for now between the lowest and the first boosted level (similar to FiiO E5's bass boost) while from there forward there may be as little as 0.5dB or so change per step in my guess.
- Fixed the "popping" noise when turning on/off
- Better battery life (? very uncertain about this) - Curently it's about 9 ~ 12 hrs or something like that depending on level used only which isn't spectacular but for me that keeps it recharging all the time to the wall socket via an USB power adapter that's of no concern. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back