ZMF x JDS Labs Homage Amp
Nov 23, 2023 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 109

HeavyCn

New Head-Fier
I did not see a post, so I went ahead and created one.

The ZMF x JDS Labs Homage Amp is a collaborative effort between two of the most respected names in the audio industry. It combines ZMF's expertise in headphone design with JDS Labs' expertise in amplifier design to create a solid state amp that is truly exceptional.

The amp has a sleek and modern design, that marries the aesthetics of both companies with an anodized aluminum chassis, and a wood front and back panel. The amp includes a beautiful VU meter right in the center. This amp has a universal power supply which means this amp can be used in any country without issue. It has a variety of inputs and outputs, including balanced XLR and 4.4mm headphone outputs, and XLR and RCA inputs. The amp also has a gain switch (low, medium, and high), and an impedance selector (47ohm and 1ohm), which allows you to match the amp's output to your headphones making this amp very versatile.

The ZMF x JDS Labs Homage is powered by a Class A/B amplifier (2W per channel). The amp is very dynamic with excellent bass control, great detail and weight, with a presentation that is very resolving and effortless. No matter what headphones of mine I used on this amp it made them sound fantastic. IEMs also worked great on this amp and throughout listening the only time I ever heard any kind of noise was putting it on high gain and turning the volume knob with nothing playing to about 90%.

The secret sauce that sets the ZMF x JDS Labs Homage apart from other amps is its soundstage. The amp creates a wide and 3D/holographic soundstage that puts other amps to shame. When going back and forth with other amps, like the Cayin IHA-6, Schiit Mjolnir, and Ferrum Erco, you could really tell the difference. It definitely made other amps feel like they had a flat/2D sound compared to the 3D/holographic nature of the ZMF x JDS amp. That's why it has become my go to amp!

Overall, the ZMF x JDS Labs Homage is an outstanding solid state amp. It offers excellent sound quality, build quality, features, and it is a great choice for anyone looking for a high-quality amp to drive their headphones or IEMs. Whether you are looking for that one amp that will work with everything or something to compliment your tube amps, definitely give the Homage a listen!

Attachments

• IMG_1783.jpeg
    IMG_1783.jpeg
    737.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1765.jpeg
    IMG_1765.jpeg
    915.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1760.jpeg
    IMG_1760.jpeg
    707 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1772.jpeg
    IMG_1772.jpeg
    805.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1159.jpeg
    IMG_1159.jpeg
    632.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1164.jpeg
    IMG_1164.jpeg
    383.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1204.jpeg
    IMG_1204.jpeg
    589.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1292.jpeg
    IMG_1292.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1272.jpeg
    IMG_1272.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1302.jpg
    IMG_1302.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1180.jpeg
    IMG_1180.jpeg
    557.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1274.jpg
    IMG_1274.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1323.jpeg
    IMG_1323.jpeg
    862.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1242.jpg
    IMG_1242.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1189.jpeg
    IMG_1189.jpeg
    483.3 KB · Views: 0
Nov 23, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 109
What is the wood? It looks like MDF.

Nov 24, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 109
What is the wood? It looks like MDF.
These pics look like prototypes. Various prototypes have been seen at recent CanJams. I believe you saw (and listened) to one this past summer?

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 109
These pics look like prototypes. Various prototypes have been seen at recent CanJams. I believe you saw (and listened) to one this past summer?
Yes, it had a lighter coloured wood, almost honey like. Maple?

Nov 24, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #8 of 109
Yes, it had a lighter coloured wood, almost honey like. Maple?
That does seem to be one of production finishes. Unsure how long ago the pics above were taken.

Nov 24, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #9 of 109
That does seem to be one of production finishes. Unsure how long ago the pics above were taken.
Interestingly, in the ZMF Homage video I've just watched, Zach said there will be resin stabilized front and rear plates 😮

Nov 24, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #10 of 109
Interestingly, in the ZMF Homage video I've just watched, Zach said there will be resin stabilized front and rear plates 😮
Yes...saw that also. That seems to be natural course of product introduction. Its all good. Assume it will be a year + before we see those. In the meantime, enjoy whats available now, formulate opinions and decide when they are available if it warrants the investment.

Nov 25, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #12 of 109
@HeavyCn Did you compare the Homage against the Mjolnir 3? You didn’t mention which Mjolnir, so I wanted to see if perhaps it was one of the older versions. I own the iHA-6 and Mjolnir 3, so it definitively peaked my interest when you compared the new Homage to those amps (if it was indeed the MJ3 you were referring to).

Nov 25, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #13 of 109
Ordered the Homage yesterday. After it arrives I'll follow-up with some impressions on how it pairs with my DACs and compare it to a Vio V222.
Not sure if I was able to get one of the pre-built ones since it was showing less than 8 left when I put it through. I like the vintage console style and I'm thinking it'll sound nice with the Caldera and other planars I own.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #14 of 109
The amp creates a wide and 3D/holographic soundstage that puts other amps to shame. When going back and forth with other amps, like the Cayin IHA-6, Schiit Mjolnir, and Ferrum Erco, you could really tell the difference. It definitely made other amps feel like they had a flat/2D sound compared to the 3D/holographic nature of the ZMF x JDS amp. That's why it has become my go to amp!
It's posts and products like these that cause my upgraditis to relapse :o2smile: I'm super happy with my new iHA-6 and I decided on it over the homage to save money, not to mention not having to buy a bunch of balanced cables, but if ZMF ever releases something similar to the footprint of the Homage that also has a nice built-in DAC my wallet could be in trouble! Look forward to seeing more impressions of the Homage nonetheless

Nov 26, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #15 of 109
Any difference on SQ between the XLR and RCA inputs? I only have rca outputs available on my YGGY due to my Bliss occupying the xlrs, so thats gonna be a deciding factor for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back