ZMF vs. DCA closed backs
Dec 3, 2019 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sulcusgcs

New Head-Fier
Can anyone comment on differences between ZMF's closed back offerings (Atticus and Eikon) versus the DCA Aeon Flow Closed 2 (which I realize is brand new). I'm looking to get closed back cans, which I have never owned, and am looking at these specifically. Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 7
I havent heard the AFC2,but unless Dan changed his house sound along with the name of the company,he tends to make his headphones sound more neutral,with less dynamics than ZMF does.
The original AFC had really nice tonality,but little slam,nor texture. Perhaps that has all changed,IDK.
ZMF Atticus is a warm midbass centric headphone,not too unlike a HD650 on steroids. I used to own the Atticus,but I moved up to the ZMF Verite open and closed,with the closed being the best headphone Ive yet to hear.

Dec 4, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 7
I havent heard the AFC2,but unless Dan changed his house sound along with the name of the company,he tends to make his headphones sound more neutral,with less dynamics than ZMF does.
The original AFC had really nice tonality,but little slam,nor texture. Perhaps that has all changed,IDK.
ZMF Atticus is a warm midbass centric headphone,not too unlike a HD650 on steroids. I used to own the Atticus,but I moved up to the ZMF Verite open and closed,with the closed being the best headphone Ive yet to hear.

Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely zeroing in on the Eikons. I currently have the opportunity to purchase the Eikon Cherry used for just under $900. Is that a no-brainer?

Dec 4, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely zeroing in on the Eikons. I currently have the opportunity to purchase the Eikon Cherry used for just under $900. Is that a no-brainer?
The Eikon is the only ZMF dynamic I havent owned or heard extensively,so its hard for me to say yes or no. I did own the Auteur,which has the same driver as the Eikon,and the Auteur is def the most neutral headphone ZMF has created. Owners of the Eikon rave about its sub-bass.

I suppose a lot depends upon what amp you will be using,as well as genres of music you tend to listen to.

Dec 4, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #5 of 7
The Eikon is the only ZMF dynamic I havent owned or heard extensively,so its hard for me to say yes or no. I did own the Auteur,which has the same driver as the Eikon,and the Auteur is def the most neutral headphone ZMF has created. Owners of the Eikon rave about its sub-bass.

I suppose a lot depends upon what amp you will be using,as well as genres of music you tend to listen to.

Fair enough. I have a JDS Atom at the moment, so nothing fancy but should be plenty of power. For music, I'm really all over the place. I'm currently on an electronic music kick, but I love jazz, classical, soundtracks, rock, and pop. I don't listen to hip-hop.

Dec 4, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 7
No experience with the Atom,but for a small amp apparently it puts out plenty of power.
I loved the Atticus for many genres,except for fast metal and trance. The decay was too long for fast stuff,and the midbass slam tended to drown out the sub bass for trance.
If you plan on sticking with your electronica,I'd recommend the Eikon,unless you crave the fun slamming sound the Atticus brings.

Dec 4, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #7 of 7
No experience with the Atom,but for a small amp apparently it puts out plenty of power.
I loved the Atticus for many genres,except for fast metal and trance. The decay was too long for fast stuff,and the midbass slam tended to drown out the sub bass for trance.
If you plan on sticking with your electronica,I'd recommend the Eikon,unless you crave the fun slamming sound the Atticus brings.

Thanks, I really appreciate the input. FWIW, I'm coming from HD6xx and HD660s so I'm assuming this will be quite a different experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back