ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
May 18, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #2,566 of 2,619
Alright, I'm not looking at getting anything to replace the Pendant/Leeloo anytime soon, but just so I can keep my eye out for good deals, what would the next step above the Pendant be? Must be powerful enough to drive planars, must not be massive and 55 lbs like the new Aegis, must beat the performance of a Pendant with Top-tier tubes. Does it exist?

May 18, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #2,567 of 2,619
Alright, I'm not looking at getting anything to replace the Pendant/Leeloo anytime soon, but just so I can keep my eye out for good deals, what would the next step above the Pendant be? Must be powerful enough to drive planars, must not be massive and 55 lbs like the new Aegis, must beat the performance of a Pendant with Top-tier tubes. Does it exist?
Bigger Ben, Agartha, Nautilus, Red October

May 18, 2024 at 7:43 PM Post #2,568 of 2,619
Yeah Bigger Ben, Agartha, and Mogwai SE are all around the same form factor. Nautilus and Red October start getting into super heavy territory.

I have my sights set on a DNA amp one day. I have feelers out for a Starlett. If I find one, that'll likely be what replaces my Pendant.

May 18, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #2,569 of 2,619
Add the Mogwai SE to that list as the direct next step up

It exists. Within the A&S lineup and certainly outside of it. Plenty of tube amps aren't massive and can drive planars well. The Pendant can do that, depending on the planar. Depends on your budget, if you're looking for a certain sound or tube type, etc

May 18, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #2,570 of 2,619
Very true. I had pairs of 1954, 1957 and 1958. All were different sounding to a degree. However I don't recall any of them sounding grainy to my ears. I think I liked the 57s the best, actually. Not as lush as the 54 elliptical getter.
The graininess was something I started hearing when comparing the Pendant with my solid state amp. I didn't hear it on its own, but as soon as I had something to compare it to, it sounded off to me. And then there was no unhearing it. These Sylvania actually sound cleaner than that solid state, but with all the vibrancy and stage of the amp and other tubes, which is what I wanted. Maybe I'll give those later Valvos a try someday though! Halo getters?

May 18, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #2,571 of 2,619
The graininess was something I started hearing when comparing the Pendant with my solid state amp. I didn't hear it on its own, but as soon as I had something to compare it to, it sounded off to me. And then there was no unhearing it. These Sylvania actually sound cleaner than that solid state, but with all the vibrancy and stage of the amp and other tubes, which is what I wanted. Maybe I'll give those later Valvos a try someday though! Halo getters?
Try some RFT foil getters

May 18, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #2,572 of 2,619
Interesting. Those Sylvanias sound awesome, I would have definitely gotten a pair.
Yes, the later Valvos I picked up had halo getters. They were a bit more even sounding to me than the earliest 54 pair -- the pair I bought or traded with you I'm pretty sure. Though that 54 pair definitely had a bit of magic. I think a later pair might be worth checking out, pretty sure I paid less than $100/pair.

May 18, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #2,574 of 2,619
Yeah Bigger Ben, Agartha, and Mogwai SE are all around the same form factor. Nautilus and Red October start getting into super heavy territory.

I have my sights set on a DNA amp one day. I have feelers out for a Starlett. If I find one, that'll likely be what replaces my Pendant.
Add the Mogwai SE to that list as the direct next step up

It exists. Within the A&S lineup and certainly outside of it. Plenty of tube amps aren't massive and can drive planars well. The Pendant can do that, depending on the planar. Depends on your budget, if you're looking for a certain sound or tube type, etc
I guess the question is do any of those actually improve upon the sound of the pendant with upgrade tubes in their stock form? Or will they need upgrade tubes too?

May 18, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #2,575 of 2,619
I guess the question is do any of those actually improve upon the sound of the pendant with upgrade tubes in their stock form? Or will they need upgrade tubes too?
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

May 18, 2024 at 10:54 PM Post #2,576 of 2,619
Haha I think that comment about the ZMF/Decware OTL from the other thread is getting to you. Will they improve on the Pendant with stock tubes? Maybe. Has anyone actually stuck with stock tubes on those high end amps? I very highly doubt it.

May 18, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #2,577 of 2,619
Haha I think that comment about the ZMF/Decware OTL from the other thread is getting to you. Will they improve on the Pendant with stock tubes? Maybe. Has anyone actually stuck with stock tubes on those high end amps? I very highly doubt it.
I had always thought the same, but I’m always shocked when I come across Agartha and Rockwell owners who are still rocking stock tubes (they don’t know what they are missing)

Bigger Ben not so much as that is built for tube rolling and every owner I know has bought it for that express purpose

May 18, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #2,578 of 2,619
I had always thought the same, but I’m always shocked when I come across Agartha and Rockwell owners who are still rocking stock tubes (they don’t know what they are missing)

Bigger Ben not so much as that is built for tube rolling and every owner I know has bought it for that express purpose
Well then, I stand corrected! Good to know.

May 19, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #2,580 of 2,619
I'm not saying I would stick with the stock tubes. I'm saying that the baseline of the stock tubes would need to be better than my custom Pendant/Leeloo for me to make the jump to something more expensive. Then, improve from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back