ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Oct 11, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #2,341 of 2,535
Funnily enough, the G-73R is on tap tonight. Would you believe I received those two types ON THE SAME DAY from two vastly different sources from different countries, fairly randomly?!

Yes, I realize that’s beyond fortunate. I don’t know how I won that lottery. 🙄
OK, the G-73R hype is $&@*ing real and legit. I know, I know- hardly news. But still.

Wow. The air and “presence” is something else. And the… bass… has… air… too?! What the heck?! Sub-bass simply floats in space. Ridiculous.

Are the Telefunkens my favorite for all music? Not sure yet. The air in the midrange and treble comes at a slight “cost” to my ears (which aren’t what they used to be, mind you)- the midrange veers a smidge to the airy side vs. a Brimar’s or Mullard’s meatier representation. The Brits do that part really, really well.

So- a top-notch white wine or a similar red? It depends on what your main course is, I suppose. (For the record, I drink whatever wine I feel like with my main and damn the torpedoes)

But damn, the way the G-73R (red type version) paints the picture of the hall, studio, or other venue is pretty remarkable. Listening to Phoebe Bridgers or Death Cab for Cutie (a band I’ve seen many times live), their respective vocalists sound spellbindingly real.

Thanks to the Head-Fier who sold them to me- they took my WA2 up yet another notch. No need to go further in my book. 👍 ✅

Attachments

• IMG_3125.jpeg
    IMG_3125.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3127.jpeg
    IMG_3127.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3128.jpeg
    IMG_3128.jpeg
    507.4 KB · Views: 0
Oct 11, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #2,342 of 2,535
Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #2,343 of 2,535
Famous last words. Now you just need a pair of G73-R's (black label) to compare them to 👿
You had to go there, huh?!

You enabler, you!

😂😂😂

Oct 11, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #2,344 of 2,535
OK, the G-73R hype is $&@*ing real and legit. I know, I know- hardly news. But still.

Wow. The air and “presence” is something else. And the… bass… has… air… too?! What the heck?! Sub-bass simply floats in space. Ridiculous.

Are the Telefunkens my favorite for all music? Not sure yet. The air in the midrange and treble comes at a slight “cost” to my ears (which aren’t what they used to be, mind you)- the midrange veers a smidge to the airy side vs. a Brimar’s or Mullard’s meatier representation. The Brits do that part really, really well.

So- a top-notch white wine or a similar red? It depends on what your main course is, I suppose. (For the record, I drink whatever wine I feel like with my main and damn the torpedoes)

But damn, the way the G-73R (red type version) paints the picture of the hall, studio, or other venue is pretty remarkable. Listening to Phoebe Bridgers or Death Cab for Cutie (a band I’ve seen many times live), their respective vocalists sound spellbindingly real.

Thanks to the Head-Fier who sold them to me- they took my WA2 up yet another notch. No need to go further in my book. 👍 ✅
Woooo! Glad you’re enjoying them. It’s so satisfying to hear someone’s first experience with a G73-R, especially since I haven’t rolled mine (except between the red and black label) since I got it. It’s easy to get used to anything, even something so incredible!

Oct 12, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #2,345 of 2,535

Total game changer. The incomparable Telefunken G-73R.

Oct 12, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #2,346 of 2,535
Total game changer. The incomparable Telefunken G-73R.
You know it's special, when talk of it brings the man out from hiding. :wink:

Good to see you are still rocking brother!

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #2,347 of 2,535
You know it's special, when talk of it brings the man out from hiding. :wink:

Good to see you are still rocking brother!
Just a retired old man listening to great music.
Always a pleasure to see you young bucks.
Rock on.

Oct 12, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #2,348 of 2,535
Just a retired old man listening to great music.
Always a pleasure to see you young bucks.
Rock on.
Don’t know about the others, but you flatter me and my salt-and-pepper beard, Sir!

I’ll follow you into the retired cohort in a few years, we’ll see how long I can keep going… 😁:L3000:

Oct 12, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #2,349 of 2,535
Finally getting back from a long break - what do you guys think is a nice pairing for the Pendant from the ZMF lineup at about $2-2.5k? Looking for something that tilts warm and detailed (e.g. HEK V1/V3, LCD2/4, etc.)

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #2,350 of 2,535
Finally getting back from a long break - what do you guys think is a nice pairing for the Pendant from the ZMF lineup at about $2-2.5k? Looking for something that tilts warm and detailed (e.g. HEK V2, LCD2/4, etc.)
My first instinct (though I haven't heard the combo in person) would be to say the Verite Open. Slight dip in the mids (I found it extremely natural sounding) similar to the LCD-2, with just a TON of body and lower midrange warmth. It's probably the most detailed ZMF aside from the Caldera. I only heard the VO with the A&S Forge, not the Pendant, but I've heard great things about the pairing by both @shwnwllms and @4LoveOfSound.

Oct 15, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #2,351 of 2,535
My first instinct (though I haven't heard the combo in person) would be to say the Verite Open. Slight dip in the mids (I found it extremely natural sounding) similar to the LCD-2, with just a TON of body and lower midrange warmth. It's probably the most detailed ZMF aside from the Caldera. I only heard the VO with the A&S Forge, not the Pendant, but I've heard great things about the pairing by both @shwnwllms and @4LoveOfSound.

Thanks for that info - been debating between that or an Atrium Closed.

I found a great deal on one but not familiar on the differences of the Pendant over the years. Is the wood case a limited edition - does it sound sonically different than the Pendant with the stock black case?

Basically is there any difference sonically between this one and this one?
1697396091638.png
1697396223173.png

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #2,352 of 2,535

I found a great deal on one but not familiar on the differences of the Pendant over the years. Is the wood case a limited edition - does it sound sonically different than the Pendant with the stock black case?

1697396091638.png1697396223173.png
The one on the bottom is a Pendant SE. in addition to the walnut burl, upgraded Jupiter caps, the taps are 8/100. It may also have a larger choke which is going to lead to a quieter amp over previous models. There may be a couple of minor differences discussed earlier in the thread, but the SE is the one you want if you can find one

Oct 15, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #2,353 of 2,535

What @shwnwllms said! The impedance of the old Pendant is 8 and 300 ohms I believe, so there’s also inherently more noise from the OG Pendant with the high impedance tap, though you get more of that high-impedance magic. Zach has mentioned that he prefers the 100 ohms taps with his headphones though, which is where the SE came from. Tighter bass response while still having a euphoric character.

That walnut Burl base is so gorgeous too, and unlike anything else Ampsandsound has done outside the Pendant.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #2,354 of 2,535
Starting to post my 12A*7's, started with some of the rarities but I have plenty of others available that aren't posted yet. If you are looking for something in particular just PM me. (Both my G73-R's and Grass Instrument Yellow Tips are posted for those interested). Willing to bundle for a discount as well.

Classifieds listings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back