ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Jun 24, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #2,236 of 2,528
Actually (and this is a bit embarrassing), I was getting some weird noise from my Pendant SE ever since moving to my new house, and it was really bothering me. I considered getting a beefier power cable, messing with the wall socket, a bunch of stuff, even finding a solid state amp to use so I didn't have to deal with the noise all the time.

But then, just for the hell of it, I moved my amp a couple of feet farther away from my computer and that was all I needed to do :joy: Noise completely gone! Back to inky blackness of background. So, if anyone is dumb like me and has noise issues with their amp RIGHT UP against their computer, learn from my mistakes!

Jun 25, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #2,237 of 2,528
Actually (and this is a bit embarrassing), I was getting some weird noise from my Pendant SE ever since moving to my new house, and it was really bothering me. I considered getting a beefier power cable, messing with the wall socket, a bunch of stuff, even finding a solid state amp to use so I didn't have to deal with the noise all the time.

But then, just for the hell of it, I moved my amp a couple of feet farther away from my computer and that was all I needed to do :joy: Noise completely gone! Back to inky blackness of background. So, if anyone is dumb like me and has noise issues with their amp RIGHT UP against their computer, learn from my mistakes!
### Have audio gear plugged into wall sockets / line circuits different from those for non-audio gear (internet routers, computers, printers, modems, cellphone chargers …) ☑️

Jun 25, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #2,238 of 2,528

That’s probably why mine has a slight hum I can’t get rid of. So I guess you’re not alone.

Jun 26, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #2,239 of 2,528

WiFi interference. Just for funzies move it right next to your router 😂

Jun 26, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #2,240 of 2,528
Jun 26, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #2,241 of 2,528
That’s probably why mine has a slight hum I can’t get rid of. So I guess you’re not alone.
If you can’t move it away from EMI/RFI sources, try turning it 90 degrees

Jun 26, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #2,242 of 2,528
WiFi interference. Just for funzies move it right next to your router 😂
I bet you’re right. I actually noticed last night my left computer speaker is picking the noise up too 🤣 So funny that it’s only in the left channel, both on my Pendant when it’s near the computer and on my Vanatoo’s.

Jun 28, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #2,243 of 2,528
Now we wait for your big reveal.... :popcorn::sunglasses:
One of the tubes was bad, replacement went out today (From Croatia)

In the meantime I’m playing around with something I had wanted to try for awhile

V550 Pro as a pre into my Pendant SE

IMG_3569.jpeg
IMG_3565.jpeg

Jun 28, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #2,244 of 2,528
One of the tubes was bad, replacement went out today (From Croatia)

In the meantime I’m playing around with something I had wanted to try for awhile

V550 Pro as a pre into my Pendant SE

IMG_3569.jpegIMG_3565.jpeg
Bummer! Hopefully you get a replacement soon. Looking forward to hearing about whatever it is...

How does that V550 setup sound? I read Justin is a fan of using a pre into his amps

Jun 28, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #2,245 of 2,528
How does that V550 setup sound? I read Justin is a fan of using a pre into his amps
It sounds incredible so far. I’ve read that too from Justin. That was part of my inspiration actually, this was the other.

https://www.headfonia.com/violectric-dha-v590-review/3/

I will say immediately that it lowered the noise floor (and I already thought my Pendant SE was dead quiet). I did hear some slight interference (radio possibly) when shutting down the Pendant (or when music was paused). This was more noticeable with certain input tubes over others but it was always there. With the pre-amp in the chain it’s gone completely.

Pendant set to max gain & V550 Pro -18dB (9 o’clock on the dial)

I heard an immediate improvement, the longer I listen it’s a keeper. Even if I decide not to use the V550 Pro as a pre it has a pass through function (toggle pre-amp on/off) so I can free up my RCA out on my May KTE for an OTL amp at some point

Initial impressions (some of which can be attributed to the lower noise floor)

Clean, dynamic sound. Not something that was necessarily missing, it just improves the chain. Better micro / macro dynamics, slam & possibly a bit faster. Plus I get the full range of attenuation from the V550 Pro

Highly recommended if you have a high end pre to run. (But I wouldn’t run out and buy one just for the Pendant, like everything else in this hobby it’s overkill but running a pre into a Pendant SE sure has some incredible synergy.)

Jun 28, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #2,246 of 2,528
It sounds incredible so far. I’ve read that too from Justin. That was part of my inspiration actually, this was the other.

https://www.headfonia.com/violectric-dha-v590-review/3/

I will say immediately that it lowered the noise floor (and I already thought my Pendant SE was dead quiet). I did hear some slight interference (radio possibly) when shutting down the Pendant (or when music was paused). This was more noticeable with certain input tubes over others but it was always there. With the pre-amp in the chain it’s gone completely.

Pendant set to max gain & V550 Pro -18dB (9 o’clock on the dial)

I heard an immediate improvement, the longer I listen it’s a keeper. Even if I decide not to use the V550 Pro as a pre it has a pass through function (toggle pre-amp on/off) so I can free up my RCA out on my May KTE for an OTL amp at some point

Initial impressions (some of which can be attributed to the lower noise floor)

Clean, dynamic sound. Not something that was necessarily missing, it just improves the chain. Better micro / macro dynamics, slam & possibly a bit faster. Plus I get the full range of attenuation from the V550 Pro

Highly recommended if you have a high end pre to run. (But I wouldn’t run out and buy one just for the Pendant, like everything else in this hobby it’s overkill but running a pre into a Pendant SE sure has some incredible synergy.)
Wow. Sounds like an awesome and serendipitous find! This is good info to know. Enjoy the new discovery!

Jul 5, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #2,248 of 2,528
The U709 has finally arrived. Actually not bad ship time at all, about a week from the UK to CA. One thing I noted, though it does have the iconic U709 rectangle label, there are no other markings or stickers like I see on some. I'm assuming the tube is legit but I'm sure those who know more than me might be able to confirm that from the pics. It's not as tall as my usual Mullard EZ81 and internally definitely looks different, not to mention the huge glowing center rod when it's on.

Just popped it in so will wait a bit before I put on my judgement cap... I do hear music and things are quiet so positive first signs!

Attachments

• PXL_20230705_191121096~2.jpg
    PXL_20230705_191121096~2.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230705_191241404.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20230705_191241404.MP~2.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230705_191253629~2.jpg
    PXL_20230705_191253629~2.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230705_192957354.jpg
    PXL_20230705_192957354.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 0
Jul 5, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #2,249 of 2,528
The U709 has finally arrived. Actually not bad ship time at all, about a week from the UK to CA. One thing I noted, though it does have the iconic U709 rectangle label, there are no other markings or stickers like I see on some. I'm assuming the tube is legit but I'm sure those who know more than me might be able to confirm that from the pics. It's not as tall as my usual Mullard EZ81 and internally definitely looks different, not to mention the huge glowing center rod when it's on.

Just popped it in so will wait a bit before I put on my judgement cap... I do hear music and things are quiet so positive first signs!
That is the Marconi U709. Same exact tube as the GEC U709, just a different label. It’s the same company so both have black plates, square getters only difference is the label that was printed on it.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #2,250 of 2,528
That is the Macroni U709. Same exact tube as the GEC U709, just a different label. It’s the same company so both have black plates, square getters only difference is the label that was printed on it.
Thank you sir! Appreciate that info

Users who are viewing this thread

Back