ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Feb 1, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #1,022 of 2,607
So when you say new wooden case, you mean a new Pendant….or just the wood case surrouns?
new wooden case. i got the og pendant with the stock black case, and i got my hands on a wooden case to upgrade it :)

Feb 1, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #1,023 of 2,607
But I would pay and have paid $25 each for four RFT EZ81 foil getter rectifier tubes…😀
The RFT EZ81 is a great tube and especially for the money, but it's not in the same league as the U709. The U709 is the king of the EZ81 family.

As crazy expensive as they have been selling for lately, deals can still be found with diligence and a bit of luck. I know of someone that picked up a couple recently for $50 a piece.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #1,024 of 2,607
Is there a tube I can roll for moar bass? Right now I have the stock ZMF JNJ tubes, plus the ZMF NOS tubes, plus a few RFT input and rectifier tubes.

Feb 1, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #1,025 of 2,607
Is there a tube I can roll for moar bass? Right now I have the stock ZMF JNJ tubes, plus the ZMF NOS tubes, plus a few RFT input and rectifier tubes.
When I want some killer bass, I throw in some Tungsram EL84 Foil Disc Getters for power tubes, or a Mullard EZ81 Square Getter for the rectifier, and for the driver tube I like the Brimar CV4034.

Also, Sylvania EL84 Black Plates have some killer bass, but they are a bit hot in the highs for my preferences.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #1,026 of 2,607
When I want some killer bass, I throw in some Tungsram EL84 Foil Disc Getters for power tubes, or a Mullard EZ81 Square Getter for the rectifier, and for the driver tube I like the Brimar CV4034.

Also, Sylvania EL84 Black Plates have some killer bass, but they are a bit hot in the highs for my preferences.
Wow….I never knew that. Thanks @Wes S

Feb 2, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #1,028 of 2,607
I am lookin to get a used pendent OG. does anyone know what is the difference between the og and se except the lower noise floor.
The High Z was changed from 300 ohm with the OG to 100 ohm with the SE, depending on how old the OG is.

Also, there is an improved pot with a stepped attenuator (24 steps and really nice) and Jupiter Foil Caps (improved detail/clarity) on the SE, as well as a larger choke to lower the noise floor.

So, with that said the SE is an improved version and the one I would be looking for. I have not heard both versions side by side, but people who's ears I trust, say the SE is clearly (pun intended) a bit better.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #1,029 of 2,607
Just wanted to chime in on the brimar Footscray '57 12at7 I recently received from mullard magic tubes.
First of all I am very impressed with the sound signature and how it combines so well with other tube sets. Oddly I seem to like the stock jj tubes in the 6bq5 slots with the brimar 12at7 the most.
I also noticed I have found a new liking to the few 6ca4 tubes I have. The brimar 12at7 just makes them more defined and easier to hear the sound signature of specific tubes in a very pleasant way. Makes dialing in the sound for my mood or headphone pairing very simple and fun.
Now I'm wondering if I should look into some better tubes for the 6bq5 slots since I'm enjoying the new production stock tubes the most while using the brimar 12at7 alongside.

Oh another side note: I'm just wondering what the difference is between my brimar 12at7 and the brimar 12at7 4033 others have mentioned( https://pulsetubestore.com/products...4-12at7-factory-tested-plug-play-ready-to-use )with the new base modification. Would there be a major difference in sound between the two? And could I damage the amp by using the original tube without the base modification? And is the pendant compatible with most/all 12at7 tubes without an adapter?

Also while I'm at it, if I'm looking for nicely defined and strong overall bass presence, which 6ca4 tubes should I be looking for? How about 6bq5? Specifically ones that pair well with the brimar Footscray 57 12at7 using the verite as headphones?

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #1,030 of 2,607
Today's tube roll - Funkwerk Erfurt Foil Getters in front (Single Getter Post ECC83 and EL84 from 58'), with the G.E.C. U709 in back.

20220205_044952.jpg

The Funkwerk house sound combined with G.E.C. and my Atticus, creates a very deep holographic stage, tight imaging, impactful bass, and details galore in the mids and highs. The "thereness" and immersion factor are in full effect with this combo. :o2smile:

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #1,031 of 2,607
Been listening to a recent input tube addition to the mix.....a 12AU7 tube.....flying lead from Pulse Tubes.
BRIMAR F6067T - 1950'S Large Halo Getter STC Footscray Prod. ENGLAND. Mil Black Plate ECC82/CV4003/12AU7

Replacing the Brimar CV4033 ('57) Footscray ECC81/12AT7....which was my go-to gain tube.

Much more spacious....extremely quiet....with a very subtle bump in the upper mid's with my VO's.

Glad I got it....it's a keeper. Talk about two great tubes to bounce back and forth.

Feb 18, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #1,034 of 2,607
Rolled in an old favorite driver tube of mine last night, and as expected it did not disappoint. This tube was one of my favs when I had my BHC, and I stashed them so well I had forgotten about them. Well, after what I heard last night I sure am glad I finally remembered about them. The Sylvania JHS 5814a Triple Mica Short Grey Plate Square Getter 59' is another outstanding tube in the Pendant. This tube has a very unique sound in that almost every song no matter the genre, sounds as if it is being performed live. The tonality and timbre is quite natural and the vocals are forward and clear. The bass has really good punch and dives deep with good detail and texture. The imaging is tight and the stage is more on the intimate side yet still sounds spacious enough when the song calls for it, and has the 3D effect going strong. The highs are smooth but don't sound blunted at all, and detail top to bottom is quite good. This tube combines detail with a natural timbre, and works well with all genres. Another great tube no doubt.

Here is a pic of one of mine for reference.

20220218_062754.jpg

Happy Hunting, Rolling and Listening!

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #1,035 of 2,607
Rolled in an old favorite driver tube of mine last night, and as expected it did not disappoint. This tube was one of my favs when I had my BHC, and I stashed them so well I had forgotten about them. Well, after what I heard last night I sure am glad I finally remembered about them. The Sylvania JHS 5814a Triple Mica Short Grey Plate Square Getter 60' is another outstanding tube in the Pendant, and gets an easy rec from me if you are looking for a well balanced tube that makes music sound organic/lifelike. This tube has a very unique sound in that almost every song no matter the genre sounds as if it is being performed live. The tonality and timbre is incredibly natural and the vocals are forward and clear and as lifelike as I have heard. The bass has really good punch and dives deep with really good detail and texture. The imaging is tight and the stage is more on the intimate side yet still sounds spacious enough when the song calls for it, and has the 3D effect going strong. The highs are smooth but don't sound blunted at all, and detail top to bottom is as good as I have heard. If it's in the recording this tube will let you hear it, but it does not force it down your ears either. This tube combines detail with such an organic/natural timbre, and works well with all genres. Another thing worth mentioning, is this tube is very quiet and rated for longer life, due to it's more robust construction compared to the civilian version 12AU7. This tube pairs incredibly well with my Atticus. . . in fact I think this is best I have ever heard them sound. :o2smile:

Here is how I found out about this tube years ago, and I concur with all said.
https://tubemaze.info/sylvania-jhs-5814-gray-plates/

Here is a pic of one of mine for reference.

20220218_062754.jpg

Happy Hunting, Rolling and Listening!
My wallet shudders with every one of your posts, lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back