ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Jan 27, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #1,006 of 2,607
The RFT’s I’ve gotten sound great, but they do seem very hit or miss on noise. The good thing, besides the sound, is they are pretty cheap. The bad, besides a total crap shoot on noise, you have to get them from Eastern Europe so shipping takes for ever if you live in the US. I bought a quad of them in late December and they are still in the Ukraine somewhere. The last purchase I made took 2 months to arrive.
What do you think your % of success is so far?
I might quit while I am ahead…well 1/3

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #1,008 of 2,607
70/30 with 70% good. We'll see when the quad I'm waiting for shows up how those turn out.
You have had better luck than me, as I am more at 50/50 having tried over 20 of them at this point.

Jan 27, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #1,009 of 2,607
Hhhmmmm……or should I say, HUMMM.
Plugged in a new inout tube today, the RFT ECC81 12AT7 tube. NOS from Eastern Europe. This is my 3rd go around with this tube. I have one that is great (only superceded by the Brimar triple mica Footscray). I figured I should have a backup. The 2nd tube had a definite hiss…so maybe not.
This particular tube….no hiss at all, but boy did it make the transformers hum. Like REALLY hum…like put your fingers on them and feel it, and through phones, definitely.
Why is that? (perhaps posing an existential question??)
Does this tube pull more power and make everything “work” more? 🤷🏼‍♂️
I dunno.
If that tube (and only that tube) is causing an easily noticed increase in the transformer hum / vibration, it could have high interelement leakage. Need a tester to determine that for sure, but depending on how high the leakage is it could be a not good thing for your amp.

Jan 27, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #1,010 of 2,607
If that tube (and only that tube) is causing an easily noticed increase in the transformer hum / vibration, it could have high interelement leakage. Need a tester to determine that for sure, but depending on how high the leakage is it could be a not good thing for your amp.
Thanks…it felt funky!!
You could put your fingers on all three transformers and feel them buzz.
It ended up in the tube graveyard.

Jan 29, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #1,011 of 2,607
Hi all -- I'm looking for any further feedback from Pendant owners that also own a Susvara. I'm trying to decide on if I need to sell off and repurchase my amp stack in preparation. I've seen mixed reports on HF as well as other forums. Thanks!

Jan 31, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #1,012 of 2,607
I don't have a lot of rectifier tubes to roll through, but have found one I particularly like.
My setup was:
Brimar CV4033 ('57) Footscray ECC81 (input)
Mullard Blackburn (60's) 6BQ5 EL84 (power)
Funkwerk ERFURT EZ81 6CA4 (64-65's) (rectifier)

Swapped a Tungsram EZ81 (50's) Foil Getter for the rectifier and it really seemed to add a bit of depth to the upper midrange. I liked the Funkwerk from Erfurt, but am going to stay with the Tungsram for now.

Anybody else have any experience with this tube?

Jan 31, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #1,013 of 2,607
I don't have a lot of rectifier tubes to roll through, but have found one I particularly like.
My setup was:
Brimar CV4033 ('57) Footscray ECC81 (input)
Mullard Blackburn (60's) 6BQ5 EL84 (power)
Funkwerk ERFURT EZ81 6CA4 (64-65's) (rectifier)

Swapped a Tungsram EZ81 (50's) Foil Getter for the rectifier and it really seemed to add a bit of depth to the upper midrange. I liked the Funkwerk from Erfurt, but am going to stay with the Tungsram for now.

Anybody else have any experience with this tube?
That's a fantastic rectifier, and a good representative of the Tungsram "house sound". I have a few of those, and love me some Tungsram Foil Getters.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #1,015 of 2,607
Yes....since the G.E.C U709 has been officially listed on the periodic table of unobtanium. :wink:
They still pop up from time to time, but unfortunately the price continues to rise. This is the last listing I have seen, and it's crazy what people will pay for this tube. I got lucky and picked up a few before they got so expensive and rare, however as amazing as this tube is, I would not pay $500 for one. :astonished:

Screenshot_20220131-163442_eBay.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #1,017 of 2,607
A side question to that: Are tube amps in general becoming a less affordable (or economical) option due to the rising prices of tubes that are no longer in production?
• Less affordable/more costly: if one tries to roll tubes without sufficient research on the tubes (via these threads + elsewhere) on tube and vendor pitfalls to avoid (via these threads + elsewhere).
• The rising prices of NOS tubes can be managed/mitigated by intelligent purchases. If the situation allows, a NOS purchase might cover current use and provide for a backup.

Jan 31, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #1,018 of 2,607
They still pop up from time to time, but unfortunately the price continues to rise. This is the last listing I have seen, and it's crazy what people will pay for this tube. I got lucky and picked up a few before they got so expensive and rare, however as amazing as this tube is, I would not pay $500 for one. :astonished:

But I would pay and have paid $25 each for four RFT EZ81 foil getter rectifier tubes…😀

Jan 31, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #1,019 of 2,607
• Less affordable/more costly: if one tries to roll tubes without sufficient research on the tubes (via these threads + elsewhere) on tube and vendor pitfalls to avoid (via these threads + elsewhere).
• The rising prices of NOS tubes can be managed/mitigated by intelligent purchases. If the situation allows, a NOS purchase might cover current use and provide for
I agree with the managed/mitigated…but NOS tubes by definition will continue to diminish in supply….and therefore go up in price.
Not saying I wouldn’t buy tho :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 1:27 AM Post #1,020 of 2,607
just got my new wooden case in for the pendant. god this thing is beautiful. sonically and now visually too.

will need to hunt for moar tubes. but till my batch of RFT tubes get here i think i’ll just enjoy this :)

Attachments

• 9D6E8BD8-E581-4B8A-B38E-2F99B606D29E.jpeg
    9D6E8BD8-E581-4B8A-B38E-2F99B606D29E.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back