ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Nov 11, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #841 of 2,555
I appreciate the really low cost and do believe the RFT and Funkwert are great tubes in the Pendant and also in the BB. My go to had been the GEC A2900 (not in the Pendant) tube.

I have a few pretty rare HiVac 12AU7 that I decided to try in the BB last night and it sounds really sweet with unreal detail and no glassy top end. I guess i see why the HiVac are sought after and command high prices when they come up for sale.

I never sell my tubes but for some crazy reason I posted about having these HiVac a couple of years ago and got immediate requests to sell or trade. I had no idea what I had and let several pairs and singles go. :astonished:
Oh well, I still have a couple of these gems so I'll quit crying!!!!!

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #842 of 2,555
I appreciate the really low cost and do believe the RFT and Funkwert are great tubes in the Pendant and also in the BB. My go to had been the GEC A2900 (not in the Pendant) tube.

I have a few pretty rare HiVac 12AU7 that I decided to try in the BB last night and it sounds really sweet with unreal detail and no glassy top end. I guess i see why the HiVac are sought after and command high prices when they come up for sale.

I never sell my tubes but for some crazy reason I posted about having these HiVac a couple of years ago and got immediate requests to sell or trade. I had no idea what I had and let several pairs and singles go. :astonished:
Oh well, I still have a couple of these gems so I'll quit crying!!!!!
Lucky you! I have always wanted to hear that super rare tube (now the prices will be even higher :wink:), and glad it's working out for you. Perhaps it has something to do with the lower gain of the 12AU7. . . Speaking of 12AU7, I actually pulled out some gems last night from my stash and discovered another killer pairing myself. There are several tubes in my collection I will never get rid of, and the RFT/Funkwerk are riding the bench at the moment. Got to love input tube options and swapping power tubes helps dial it in. I am finding I like blending several brands or "house sounds" to get that special synergy, and have found several combos of equal caliber with different flavors of awesome. I've been rotating them to keep things fresh and exciting lately and it's been a blast. Why stick with one tube, when you can have fun with several. . .

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #843 of 2,555
My crystal ball is a bit hazy BUT is telling me you kept some sweet 6201 and perhaps Raytheon 7728 / 7730?

I'm off on a wacky tangent with trying some dual Tung Sol and Visseaux 6J5 and Mullard L63.......... :astonished:

IMG_2281.jpg

Sounds pretty darn nice!

Nov 12, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #844 of 2,555
My crystal ball is a bit hazy BUT is telling me you kept some sweet 6201 and perhaps Raytheon 7728 / 7730?

I'm off on a wacky tangent with trying some dual Tung Sol and Visseaux 6J5 and Mullard L63.......... :astonished:

Sounds pretty darn nice!
Nope, I sold all those and don't miss them. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: The tube in question will remain a secret, as I need to find a backup before the cats out of the bag with this one.

Dude that looks crazy! I can't get past the look of adapters, but that must sound interesting. Those G.E.C. power tubes look and must sound killer and that rectifier wow! Just a friendly suggestion, but I would ditch those Bluejeans RCA's if I were you. I had a set of those, and they sucked the life out of the music in my opinion.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #845 of 2,555
Well if the BJ cables are sucking the life out, when I swap in a pair of more serious IC's from my 2 ch system it should really sound great! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I have some Ridge Street and VH Audio RCA's that are decent.

I recall when quite a few of us were trying 6J5 x 2 vs a single 6SN7 that the some looked at this as big BOTTLE, BIG sound!

I am quite taken by the Tung Sol's in right now and think the Visseaux may actually be better tubes............It's 2:20 :zzz::zzz::zzz: so I'll wait till tomorrow.

Wes......you know you need back up and then backup FOR the backup before the kitty is set free!

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #846 of 2,555
My Funkwerk ecc83 finally made its way into the US. It’s only 1 state away now. Who knows how long it will take from there, but at least it’s back on the radar.

Nov 15, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #847 of 2,555
My Funkwerk ecc83 finally made its way into the US. It’s only 1 state away now. Who knows how long it will take from there, but at least it’s back on the radar.
Apparently 1 day, because there was a small little box waiting for me when I got home! First impressions, wow! One of, if not the quietest tubes I have and it sounds awesome. Big sound stage, airy, lots of bass, nice detailed treble all for $8.50 (plus shipping of course). It's barely even warmed up and it's already my favorite of all I own. Thanks @Wes S !

Should sound awesome when I get my new Blackwood VC and used 2k copper cable I scored this morning.

Nov 15, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #849 of 2,555
Apparently 1 day, because there was a small little box waiting for me when I got home! First impressions, wow! One of, if not the quietest tubes I have and it sounds awesome. Big sound stage, airy, lots of bass, nice detailed treble all for $8.50 (plus shipping of course). It's barely even warmed up and it's already my favorite of all I own. Thanks @Wes S !

Should sound awesome when I get my new Blackwood VC and used 2k copper cable I scored this morning.
Heck yeah! You described the sound perfectly. :beerchug:

Nov 16, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #850 of 2,555
Back to the old tried and true Tungsram Welded Plate Foil Disc Getters and G.E.C. U709 tube combo. This combo is dynamic, detailed and holographic as all get out. Wow, what a ride it is with my Atticus!

Input - Tungsram ECC82 Black Welded Plate Foil Disc Getter

Power - Tungsram EL84 Welded Plate Foil O Getters

Rectifier - G.E.C. U709 Black Plate Square Getter

20211116_045035.jpg

Happy Rolling and Listening!

Nov 16, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #851 of 2,555
I’m currently running newer (mid to late 60’s I think) Tungsram power tubes, the 58’ RFT Funkwerk ecc83 input and 59’ Mullard Blackburn (Amprex labeled) rectifier. I’m pretty darn happy with this. I would like to get a set of the older welded, foil disk Tungsram though.

Nov 16, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #852 of 2,555
I’m currently running newer (mid to late 60’s I think) Tungsram power tubes, the 58’ RFT Funkwerk ecc83 input and 59’ Mullard Blackburn (Amprex labeled) rectifier. I’m pretty darn happy with this. I would like to get a set of the older welded, foil disk Tungsram though.
That's a great combo you got there. The Tungsram EL84 Welded Plate Foil O Getters are probably the most balanced, natural and detailed sounding power tubes I have tried, so I highly recommend looking for some. I don't mention this enough, but the G.E.C. U709 is a game changer tube as well, and they are a bit pricey when they become available, but they are in a league of their own and are worth every penny. The Mullard EZ81 is fantastic and is my second favorite, but the U709 is definitely a step up when it comes to dynamics and detail.

Nov 16, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #853 of 2,555
I'm a bit inexperience with tubes, but are these are the EL84s that people favor for the pendant? 50/60s Amperex/Philips D Getters Made in Holland? They should have a bit more body and tube sound than something more neutral?

On a tube note, I tried to read about his. But what makes it a D Getter? I see nothing that looks like a D.

Attachments

• DSC04606.JPG
    DSC04606.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC04610(1).JPG
    DSC04610(1).JPG
    4 MB · Views: 0
Nov 16, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #854 of 2,555
Those are some of my favourites. I closely follow the very excellent suggestions of all the lovely, learned people in this thread, but I always seem to come back to the Amperex d-getters... in fact, I have Amperex EL84s and an Amperex 12at7 in my Pendant as we speak. To me, they just have a natural, realistic sound and a midrange to die for.

As for what makes them d-getters, the little metal loop near the top of the tube, just visible under the chrome part, looks sort of like a capital d. This is different than later Amperex which have a ring or o-getter (circular). D-getters are generally pre-1960, and are preferrable for some people.

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #855 of 2,555
Those are some of my favourites. I closely follow the very excellent suggestions of all the lovely, learned people in this thread, but I always seem to come back to the Amperex d-getters... in fact, I have Amperex EL84s and an Amperex 12at7 in my Pendant as we speak. To me, they just have a natural, realistic sound and a midrange to die for.

As for what makes them d-getters, the little metal loop near the top of the tube, just visible under the chrome part, looks sort of like a capital d. This is different than later Amperex which have a ring or o-getter (circular). D-getters are generally pre-1960, and are preferrable for some people.

Oh! I see that capital D getter now that I know where to look.

I was lucky enough to source these locally, wasn't cheap, but arrived next day versus waiting weeks and weeks for international delivery.

I'm trying these out on my amp now, I figure I'd go straight to what some might consider the best to see how the amp can truly sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back