ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Apr 22, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #2,431 of 2,514
Finally getting around to some tube rolling on this thing. I have some Funkwert and some Tungsol power tubes. Currently I'm pairing them to my HEK V1s (warmth, detail, and soundstage). Which power tubes should I get to compliment those sound aspects (warm, smooth, soundstage, detail). I personally like the Funkwerts more as they sound a bit more refined to me over the Tungsols which are more dynamic and fun. Currently I think I have a TungSol 12BH7A input tube (favorite input on multiple amps, really rounds out the sound with great detail).

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 11:52 PM Post #2,432 of 2,514
Finally getting around to some tube rolling on this thing. I have some Funkwert and some Tungsol power tubes. Currently I'm pairing them to my HEK V1s (warmth, detail, and soundstage). Which power tubes should I get to compliment those sound aspects (warm, smooth, soundstage, detail). I personally like the Funkwerts more as they sound a bit more refined to me over the Tungsols which are more dynamic and fun. Currently I think I have a TungSol 12BH7A input tube (favorite input on multiple amps, really rounds out the sound with great detail).
The 50’s Amperex EL84’s are great for that relaxed, smooth-but-detailed presentation. The ultimate version of that are the early Phillips EL84’s made in Holland. I have a pair with foil getters, and they’re the most ethereal, holographic, spacious sounding tube in my collection. They add a bit of upper treble, but it enhances their spatial quality.

Apr 23, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #2,433 of 2,514
I'd also suggest 1950s Valvos. They're a bit on the warmer side, nice full sounding tubes and great soundstage. My favorite power tube for the Pendant

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #2,434 of 2,514
Well, I suppose I should say hi here since I bought tholt's Pendant SE. The Pendant is going to be my first real tube amp - not counting the iFi Phantom and Cocktail Audio HA500 I've had before. I do have a few questions if you get the chance:

How long do you warm up your tubes after turning the amp on before you use it? The Envy is like 45 minutes - it's a bit much.

Also, I see that the G73-R is widely praised, but they're expensive and hard to find - is there a cheaper alternative that's basically on par with it?

Do you have a favorite tube supplier you use? I've been on Tube Depot a few times already.

That's pretty much it for now, though I'm sure I'll have more questions at some point. Cheers!

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #2,435 of 2,514
Well, I suppose I should say hi here since I bought tholt's Pendant SE. The Pendant is going to be my first real tube amp - not counting the iFi Phantom and Cocktail Audio HA500 I've had before. I do have a few questions if you get the chance:
First of all congrats! You’re in for a journey.
How long do you warm up your tubes after turning the amp on before you use it? The Envy is like 45 minutes - it's a bit much.
Warming up your tubes is beneficial but it’s not going to make much of a difference unless there is music playing. I never really worried about it with my Pendant, just enjoy the music.
Also, I see that the G73-R is widely praised, but they're expensive and hard to find - is there a cheaper alternative that's basically on par with it?
No. Just go straight for a G73-R (Black Label). If you roll all the tubes that were top of the heap at one point or another before trying the G73-R you’ll easily spend 3X as much. You’re actually saving money going straight to the top. (But it’s also less fun that way)

I just packed up my Agartha and accompanying tubes, inventorying them for the movers. You don’t want to know how much I’ve got tied up in tubes (and if I tell you, please don’t tell my wife) 😬

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #2,436 of 2,514

Warming up your tubes is beneficial but it’s not going to make much of a difference unless there is music playing. I never really worried about it with my Pendant, just enjoy the music.

No. Just go straight for a G73-R (Black Label). If you roll all the tubes that were top of the heap at one point or another before trying the G73-R you’ll easily spend 3X as much. You’re actually saving money going straight to the top. (But it’s also less fun that way)

I just packed up my Agartha and accompanying tubes, inventorying them for the movers. You don’t want to know how much I’ve got tied up in tubes (and if I tell you, please don’t tell my wife) 😬
I'm sure it's quite a bit. Not even sure where I can find a G73-R black label. Especially one that's not a fake. I'll keep my eye out.

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #2,437 of 2,514

Seriously I did exactly that and ended up with G73-R. Just no contest vs any other tube in the Pendant. Save the money and go straight to the top!

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #2,438 of 2,514
Seriously I did exactly that and ended up with G73-R. Just no contest vs any other tube in the Pendant. Save the money and go straight to the top!
Well, if someone knows of one for sale, let me know 😂

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #2,439 of 2,514

Do you have a favorite tube supplier you use? I've been on Tube Depot a few times already.

That's pretty much it for now, though I'm sure I'll have more questions at some point. Cheers!
It's en route! I'd be surprised if you didn't love the Pendant. I certainly did.

I'd say half hour or so of tube warm up just to get them nice and warm and stabilized. Maybe an hour or so but nothing crazy.

I would concur with the G73-R as well, though I wouldn't worry too much about black vs red label. From what I've seen, black labels seem impossible to find, so red label might be all you could feasibly get. What's important is that it's a G73-R. hanoitubes on ebay is probably where a lot of us got ours as he seems to be one of the few vendors to consistently have them. But don't let getting a G73-R stop you from enjoying the Pendant! There are plenty of good input tubes available for a lot less. The Raytheon I included is a great tube that could last you a while, especially combined with the Valvo power tubes I also included. Those will get you far. And the icing on the cake which you also have is the GEC U709. Those are as unobtanium and expensive as the G73-R. So you're pretty set man!

I would just get it set up, ensure you get the tubes plugged in correctly and enjoy :beerchug::L3000:

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #2,440 of 2,514
It's en route! I'd be surprised if you didn't love the Pendant. I certainly did.

I'd say half hour or so of tube warm up just to get them nice and warm and stabilized. Maybe an hour or so but nothing crazy.

I would concur with the G73-R as well, though I wouldn't worry too much about black vs red label. From what I've seen, black labels seem impossible to find, so red label might be all you could feasibly get. What's important is that it's a G73-R. hanoitubes on ebay is probably where a lot of us got ours as he seems to be one of the few vendors to consistently have them. But don't let getting a G73-R stop you from enjoying the Pendant! There are plenty of good input tubes available for a lot less. The Raytheon I included is a great tube that could last you a while, especially combined with the Valvo power tubes I also included. Those will get you far. And the icing on the cake which you also have is the GEC U709. Those are as unobtanium and expensive as the G73-R. So you're pretty set man!

I would just get it set up, ensure you get the tubes plugged in correctly and enjoy :beerchug::L3000:
Cheers bud. Looking forward to it. What are people using as DACs for these anyway?

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #2,441 of 2,514

I concur that the Telefunken G73-R is THE way to go. In my experience nothing else comes close. It's like your music is being delivered by a firehose. There is SO much more there than you realize...and the G73-R finds ALL of it. If you seriously want to get one, hanoitubes always has a single available on ebay starting at a $299 bid. The good thing is they're pretty much never bid on. If you check the "solds" on ebay you find that they nearly always go for $299 plus $28 shipping. Just wait till the last minute to submit your bid. If you happen to miss out don't worry. Hanoitubes will immediately put a new one up for bid. As noted above, they are the red print ones but I don't think that means you're settling for second best vs the black prints. Many prefer the reds. I was looking for a match for a black print that Shawn W was kind enough to sell me. I asked the owner of hanoitubes if he might have a black print to sell me...and he was great about finding me one. So if you're stuck on the black print ones you may want to ask him specifically about them. You might be surprised. Hey you guys are lucky with the Pendant, you only need a single. I needed a pair for my Woo Audio WA2 amp. Good luck !!!

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #2,442 of 2,514
I concur that the Telefunken G73-R is THE way to go. In my experience nothing else comes close. It's like your music is being delivered by a firehose. There is SO much more there than you realize...and the G73-R finds ALL of it. If you seriously want to get one, hanoitubes always has a single available on ebay starting at a $299 bid. The good thing is they're pretty much never bid on. If you check the "solds" on ebay you find that they nearly always go for $299 plus $28 shipping. Just wait till the last minute to submit your bid. If you happen to miss out don't worry. Hanoitubes will immediately put a new one up for bid. As noted above, they are the red print ones but I don't think that means you're settling for second best vs the black prints. Many prefer the reds. I was looking for a match for a black print that Shawn W was kind enough to sell me. I asked the owner of hanoitubes if he might have a black print to sell me...and he was great about finding me one. So if you're stuck on the black print ones you may want to ask him specifically about them. You might be surprised. Hey you guys are lucky with the Pendant, you only need a single. I needed a pair for my Woo Audio WA2 amp. Good luck !!!
Thanks, hanoi seems to be selling them for 400+ right now. There's another seller that has an auction up. Maybe I'll try them. Thanks!

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #2,443 of 2,514
If you seriously want to get one, hanoitubes always has a single available on ebay starting at a $299 bid.
There was a brief time when he started the auctions at $199. Was fun while it lasted! But ~$300 is about as low you'll find for the mythical G73-R

I asked the owner of hanoitubes if he might have a black print to sell me...and he was great about finding me one. So if you're stuck on the black print ones you may want to ask him specifically about them.
I asked him about a black label months ago and he said he didn't have any more. But I guess there's a chance he got some since then

Hey you guys are lucky with the Pendant, you only need a single.
Very true!

Apr 23, 2024 at 11:50 PM Post #2,444 of 2,514
Well, I managed to grab a G73-R from 'Nam. Interesting experience to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back