ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Apr 5, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #2,086 of 2,619
Yes sir! The resolving power of RFT is legit.
They certainly are. Although they are just as hard to come by now as the Tungsrams.

eBay Seller (who does not test his tubes for noise or microphonics by his own account) is still trying to claim a certain level of noise is normal. If anyone is curious who it was drop me a PM.

Apr 5, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #2,087 of 2,619
They certainly are. Although they are just as hard to come by now as the Tungsrams.

eBay Seller (who does not test his tubes for noise or microphonics by his own account) is still trying to claim a certain level of noise is normal. If anyone is curious who it was drop me a PM.
Do you think the Pendant may just be more sensitive than other amps to microphonics? When I had some noise (it was a pretty loud hum) from one of Brent Jessee’s Amperex EL84’s and sent it back, he tested it again and said “It performed OK on the curve tracer so not sure what caused the loud hum.” I have no idea exactly what that means, but my guess is that some otherwise healthy tubes, even when they test well for noise in general, may still be noisy on the Pendant.

Of course being the guy he is, Brent sent me a fresh tube anyway. The same can’t be said for eBay sellers :frowning2:

Apr 5, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #2,088 of 2,619
Do you think the Pendant may just be more sensitive than other amps to microphonics? When I had some noise (it was a pretty loud hum) from one of Brent Jessee’s Amperex EL84’s and sent it back, he tested it again and said “It performed OK on the curve tracer so not sure what caused the loud hum.” I have no idea exactly what that means, but my guess is that some otherwise healthy tubes, even when they test well for noise in general, may still be noisy on the Pendant.

Of course being the guy he is, Brent sent me a fresh tube anyway. The same can’t be said for eBay sellers :frowning2:
I don't think the Pendant is any different than any other transformer-coupled tube amp in that regard.

Testing well on a curve tracer doesn't necessarily mean the tube doesn't have noise or microphonics. You also may hear it on one amp and not another so it would make it hard for a seller to be 100% sure the tube isn't microphonic. I think Brent tests for noise, 100% sure he stands by his tubes which is more than you can say for most eBay sellers. Mine didn't initially sound microphonic but developed it over time, so by his own return policy I'm SOL. (NOS power tubes should last longer than a couple of months however)

Apr 5, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #2,089 of 2,619
I don't think the Pendant is any different than any other transformer-coupled tube amp in that regard.

Testing well on a curve tracer doesn't necessarily mean the tube doesn't have noise or microphonics. You also may hear it on one amp and not another so it would make it hard for a seller to be 100% sure the tube isn't microphonic. I think Brent tests for noise, 100% sure he stands by his tubes which is more than you can say for most eBay sellers. Mine didn't initially sound microphonic but developed it over time, so by his own return policy I'm SOL. (NOS power tubes should last longer than a couple of months however)
Yeah that's what happened to my Amperex too. It was quiet at first, but developed a hum over the course of a couple months. Sorry to hear you're not getting the best out of your Tungsrams! You're right, they should definitely have lasted longer. But glad you're liking the RFT's!

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #2,090 of 2,619
Update, I do think one of my Tungsram EL84 (WPFDG) is slightly microphonic. It comes and goes and its less than before but definitely noticeable in the left channel. I pulled them and rolled the RFT EL84's (WPFDG) that @Wes S included with my Pendant SE. Everything sounds clean, bass is tight and articulated. These are very resolving, linear power tubes. I think I actually prefer the RFT's over the Tungsrams with the Atrium Closed (lambskin Caldera pads) to tighten up the bass.
Sorry to hear of the Tungsram issue. I do concur -- the early foil disc getter Funkwerks are a fabulous tube, probably my favorite, along with a pair of early Valvos I recently acquired (thanks @haasaaroni !). I had a pair of welded/foil Tungs and I liked them, but not as much as the other two. I much prefer the linearity and presence of the Funkwerks. The Valvos are also fantastic, a tad bit of a rounder sound vs than the Funkwerks but I am seriously digging them.

Unfortunately, all these great early tubes are hard to come by IME

Apr 5, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #2,092 of 2,619
I just snagged some 1940 Sylvania Leaf 6F8G after a recommendation by @ColSaulTigh. They are stunning as well as holding a vacuum for 83 years!!!

Using these in the Envy but they’ve could be used in the Pendent.
at-your-service-pirates-of-the-carribean.gif

Apr 6, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #2,093 of 2,619
I always thought it was a close call between the Tungsram and RFT EL84’s (WPFDG). Arguments could be made for either as the superior specimen.

The more I listen to the RFT’s, the more they cement themselves as my favorite of the two, especially since swapping pads on my VO to BE2 lamb.

I’ve got another set of EL84 WPFDG’s on the way, neither of the two aforementioned. In fact these are a pretty rare find. I wasn’t aware they existed at all until last night (Even @Wes S hasn’t heard these if that tells you anything…stay tuned) 😉

Apr 6, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #2,095 of 2,619
Apr 6, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #2,096 of 2,619
It’s been discontinued, but rebranded under the name Leeloo at headphones dot com (no walnut burl though, and it’s more expensive)

There is a Pendant SE in the classifieds though

https://headphones.com/products/leeloo-desktop-tube-headphone-amplifier
Love my Pendant SE, but I kind of wish I had the new Leeloo because it has speaker outs and I’m pondering buying some Zu speakers and it looks like it might be enough to drive them. The Leeloo isn’t as pretty, though. The gorgeous Pendant matches my Verite Closed. 😉

Apr 7, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #2,097 of 2,619
I always thought it was a close call between the Tungsram and RFT EL84’s (WPFDG). Arguments could be made for either as the superior specimen.

The more I listen to the RFT’s, the more they cement themselves as my favorite of the two, especially since swapping pads on my VO to BE2 lamb.

I’ve got another set of EL84 WPFDG’s on the way, neither of the two aforementioned. In fact these are a pretty rare find. I wasn’t aware they existed at all until last night (Even @Wes S hasn’t heard these if that tells you anything…stay tuned) 😉
1680902813157.gif

Apr 7, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #2,098 of 2,619
Spoiler alert - I have seen pictures of these new ones he has coming and they look legit. They have that old school early 50's dark black with iridescent hues getter flashing, Foil Getters, and bottom codes and I am betting sound insanely good. The better early 50's tubes all have that unique getter flashing that is unmistakable looking, and all the ones I have heard like that sounded nothing short of amazing.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #2,099 of 2,619
I am currently using zmf verite closed with a benchmark hpa4 using a custom made 16 foot headphone cable to reach from my headphone amp and digital player to my bed because I have a dedicated circuit for the audio equipment on wall far away from bed.

if I were to purchase a pendant se tube headphone amp would there be sonic degradation if ran it with the same long 16 foot headphone cable run ?

Apr 9, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #2,100 of 2,619
I am currently using zmf verite closed with a benchmark hpa4 using a custom made 16 foot headphone cable to reach from my headphone amp and digital player to my bed because I have a dedicated circuit for the audio equipment on wall far away from bed.

if I were to purchase a pendant se tube headphone amp would there be sonic degradation if ran it with the same long 16 foot headphone cable run ?
No, I run a 15' extension cable to my bed and it sounds just as awesome as when I'm using my normal 6' or 8' cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back