ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Jan 28, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #181 of 2,619
Thanks for your insight - I am really enjoying the Mullards but I think I might need to go for the Telefunkens if I can find some for like $120. They get expensive and if the Valvos are better like Wes suggests I may just have to pull the trigger on those.

Agreed on liking the Mullards, they're just not optimal for detail in my experience with them so far (which is admittedly limited, @Wes S has way more knowledge).

What do you have in the 12AU7 socket?

Jan 28, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #182 of 2,619
Agreed on liking the Mullards, they're just not optimal for detail in my experience with them so far (which is admittedly limited, @Wes S has way more knowledge).

What do you have in the 12AU7 socket?

I have a Telefunken Black Diamond

Jan 29, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #184 of 2,619
Any of you guys got any good recommendations on detailed EL84s? I know Sylvania made some at some point in the 60s but don't know if they have the same house sound as other tube types (6SN7/12AU7)

My favorite EL84 in the Pendant is the Tungsram. My NOS quad is branded Siemens but is 1972 Tungsram production. I have NOS Tele's EL84 as well with identical date code that are nice. I have not tried the Valvo's but I wouldn't doubt they are very good.

If you are keying in on detail you may want to focus on the 12AU, 12AT7. For me it's the 6201 I keep coming back to these versions. The NOS Siemens E81CC / 6201 have a good more detail. I settled on Valvo 6201 both white and blue label.

I am selling my Pendant since I have upgraded to a Bigger Ben and should sell off the EL84's, EZ81 and some 6201's although I do use 1 of those in the BB.

Mullard and 57' Amperex 7189 D getters. I'm currently looking at some what appears to be Reflektor/Sovtek? 6P14P (https://www.ebay.com/itm/152455845867?&ul_noapp=true&autorefresh=true)

The Reflector production 6P14P are also quite good NOS tubes. I ended up buying 2 nicely matched pairs and then found i enjoyed the Tungram a bit more.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #185 of 2,619
Jan 29, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #186 of 2,619
From the photo, that is the tell tale sign of the Tungsram, not the name branded on the tube. My quad are all maked Siemens in Siemens vintage boxes with date codes from 1972 but they look like the Tunsram production with the getter material on the sides of the glass as noted in the Upscale photo. I think Kevin Deal did a video about these?

Jan 30, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #187 of 2,619
Feb 19, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #188 of 2,619
Can the Pendant be rolled with tubes to give it more of a lush, tubey sound and do it well?

I'm planning to get one by the end of the year, the updated model. I've never heard it, much less any higher end tube amp (the Woo WA7 or the tube modes in the iCan being the most expensive I've heard). I've been pretty happy with the iCAN using WE-396A and a few other tubes in it, and also with the Tuba amp I just got, which I purchased somewhat because I can use EL84 tubes I've bought for it in the Pendant.

Anyway, stock the Tuba, iCAN, and Pendant have all been described as very SS like, which is fine, but since I also have 2 good SS amps (iCAN again and TT2) I'm not looking for another such tube amp. I've not heard any tube amps described more as lush and traditionally tubey sounding, which at least in my head seems desirable in that it would be clearly different from the SS amps I have. That and that some love the BHC with ZMFs. Not sure where the Glenn OTL falls on that spectrum but I'm about to give up after waiting for it for longer than anticipated.

My thoughts are that I clearly enjoy Zach's headphone creations and if this is what he helped design and sells as ZMF's tube amp specifically to go great with his headphones, I'm almost certain I'll love it. I don't have a way to try it until SoCal CanJam in September if that doesn't get rescheduled, but patience isn't my strong suit.

I've been trying to get a more tubey sound out of the Tuba with a bunch of different EL84 & 7189 pairs, with the best regarded on the way, but so far I've yet to hear any that seem dramatically different, and those are the only 2 tubes in this amp. I'm thinking with more and different tubes to roll on the Pendant I'll be more likely to find a wider range of experiences from it. Is that people's experience with it? I've read this whole thread but it's still not clear to me how changeable it is will tube rolling.

Feb 19, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #189 of 2,619
I personally think that though you can certainly get a bit of a wetter, lusher presentation, it fundamentally doesn’t make sense to try to turn the pendant into a stereotypically warm tube amp - that’s just not what it does well. In fact, I had pretty bad results rolling in a brimar cv4003 into my pendant. It just took away what made it special.

if you’re looking for a lush, tubey sound, I’d recommend dna or woo.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #190 of 2,619
I personally think that though you can certainly get a bit of a wetter, lusher presentation, it fundamentally doesn’t make sense to try to turn the pendant into a stereotypically warm tube amp - that’s just not what it does well. In fact, I had pretty bad results rolling in a brimar cv4003 into my pendant. It just took away what made it special.

if you’re looking for a lush, tubey sound, I’d recommend dna or woo.
Yeah I was going to say the same thing. I loved the Mullard CV4003 in the Bottlehead Crack, but when I tried it in the Pendant it took away from what makes the amp so great. I don’t think you can tube roll this amp into something it’s not.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #191 of 2,619
Thanks, both of ya! Found the headphones thread in the meantime which was also very helpful.

Feb 19, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #192 of 2,619
I've had the Pendant since early December of last year and it's my go-to amp now. The caveat is that the VC are my go-to headphones. I think those headphones are at their best on a fast tube amp. I also have a Glenn OTL and a V280. The Pendant is closer to the V280 than the GOTL. It takes what is great about SS amps (speed, detail, tighter bass) and then makes it sound like tubes where the staging and imaging have more realism to them. It's clear you are listening to a tube amp with the Pendant, but it still has the SS amp feel to it. The GOTL is a different thing. It creates beautiful tone and euphony and huge images where the music comes from all directions. It will melt you into your chair. But it's not nearly as fast as the Pendant. I've tried to make the GOTL a fast amp like the Pendant with tube rolling, but it just ends up taking away from what the GOTL is good at.

I agree with the other comments above. It sounds more like a GOTL is what you are after. Unfortunately it's not clear how many more of those will ever be made.

Feb 19, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #193 of 2,619
I agree with the other comments above. It sounds more like a GOTL is what you are after. Unfortunately it's not clear how many more of those will ever be made.
Actually from your description they both sound pretty great. Distinctly different from SS is really kind of enough for me to justify the Pendant actually. Descriptions of it being holographic/3D are also very appealing. Unfortunately I'm well aware of the GOTL issue 16 months after ordering, knowing others are well ahead of me. I'd be giving up on the Glenn if I buy the Pendant and would need get that money back to pay for it. I hope he starts to feel much better, regardless.

Feb 20, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #194 of 2,619
Actually from your description they both sound pretty great. Distinctly different from SS is really kind of enough for me to justify the Pendant actually. Descriptions of it being holographic/3D are also very appealing. Unfortunately I'm well aware of the GOTL issue 16 months after ordering, knowing others are well ahead of me. I'd be giving up on the Glenn if I buy the Pendant and would need get that money back to pay for it. I hope he starts to feel much better, regardless.

They are both great, in different ways. At this level, I think it’s just different flavors of great. And proper matching with the rest of your chain.

I also hope Glenn starts making amps again. I’m sure he does as well. But it’s an unknown.

I got the Pendant without having heard it first, but just based off descriptions from others, and the fact that Zach puts his name on it. It’s been almost 3 months so I think any honeymoon is over. At this point, I’d buy one again, without hesitation.

Feb 20, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #195 of 2,619
Why not talk to Justin over at ampsandsound. They build the Pendant for ZMF and have other more traditionally tubey amps in their lineup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back