ZMF Omni vs Audeze LCD-2
Jan 14, 2016 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

LBailey33

New Head-Fier
I am looking into buying one of these headphones as they are an upgrade to the sound signature that I enjoy. So I was wondering, between these (or any other similarly priced planars), what should I get and why? I will be running it out of a schiit bifrost and Asgard 2.

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 8
I'm on my second evening with the LCD-2.2 Fazor rigth now, listening to Black Sabbath.

Get these. :D

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 8
the Omni is my favorite headphone to date. Fantastic imaging ,very good dynamics, separation of sound and just beautifully voiced. Tone monster with weighty bass, forward mids and silky highs. I believe the Omni is probably a little more versatile musically and it certainly has the better sound stage. The down side is you will have to wait for them. Upside, owner is awesome, one of a kind HP from a small company with a great service policy. The Omni is more detailed than my he560 while being easier on my ears. That part I was not expecting. Also the seal and leakage are excellent for a semiopen headphone. better than some closed back sets. I can listen to them as loud as I need to sitting next to my wife while she watches tv. no problems.

Jan 16, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 8
I just looked up the ZMF Omni. Wow. Those are sexy! I would not mind a pair myself.

That is a tough choice. I guess it comes down, as it should, to sound. Which signature suits you best?

My third evening with the LCD-2 has come to a close, and, if anything, I'm more in love than ever. The music tonight sounded so good off the Maverick D1 Plus, I started to wonder if I even needed to upgrade the DAC, which has been the plan.

At the very least, I don't feel as urgent about it.

All that's simply to say, damn, the Audeze sounds amazing. :D

Nov 3, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 8
I am looking into buying one of these headphones as they are an upgrade to the sound signature that I enjoy. So I was wondering, between these (or any other similarly priced planars), what should I get and why? I will be running it out of a schiit bifrost and Asgard 2.

I never heard the LCD-2, but if it's bass you're looking for, the Omni Blackwood (w/ Cowhide earpads) will shake your cranium but without sacrificing fast transients, treble extension, mid clarity, imaging, and soundstage. Albums like Lorde, Hozier, Random Access Memories, or Channel Orange shows how much authority this headphone have. I do have it fed through a Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon in balanced mode. This headphone scale well with power. The one thing it does have in similarity with LCD-2 is weight. The Blackwood version is a heavy headphone in the upwards for 600+grams, there are other Omnis that come in different wood that will vary in weight though (400-500+grams), but if you want the best bass, Blackwood is the densest wood that will give that.

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #8 of 8
  Is there a thread here on Head-fi that discusses the different woods of the OMNI?

This thread has a wealth of impressions, but it's a long thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/769682/zmf-omni-upcoming-semi-open-flagship/1740

There are other threads of specific woods though: http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch?search=ZMF+OMni

You can also pm the ZMF Headphones creator himself: zach915m

Generally speaking, the softer the wood the higher the decay creating a greater sense of soundstage. The harder the wood, the faster the transients creating a more extended and accurate bass/treble. The porous nature of the wood will also have an effect on sound, although, be it much more subtle and only noticeable when A/B'ing reallly meticulously. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back