ZMF Auteur Classic
Aug 14, 2022 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

skeeb23

100+ Head-Fier
I wanted to get some talk going on this one! I've had the privilege to listen to these for the last week or so and am thoroughly enjoying the experience.
I'd describe them as mid-forward but still holding on to stage and excellent imaging. Smooth bass, great mids and smooth treble as well. Not detail monsters such as the Atrium can be and the layering doesn't match up to the Atrium...but then for the price I suppose it shouldn't.
I do think these are going to be great contenders for the 1500 price region! My opinion of course. I'm looking forward to listening to these on tubes also as I did get a chance to at CanJam and loved that sound! Right now just listening on my Jot2/Modius stack. Also mostly using the Auteur pads so far. I did also listen with the Eikon Suede...preferred the Auteur. More thoughts will come as I wrap up my review/impressions of them but wanted to get this going as they deserve their own thread!

20220808_205728.jpg

Aug 14, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #2 of 19
I wanted to get some talk going on this one! I've had the privilege to listen to these for the last week or so and am thoroughly enjoying the experience.
I'd describe them as mid-forward but still holding on to stage and excellent imaging. Smooth bass, great mids and smooth treble as well. Not detail monsters such as the Atrium can be and the layering doesn't match up to the Atrium...but then for the price I suppose it shouldn't.
I do think these are going to be great contenders for the 1500 price region! My opinion of course. I'm looking forward to listening to these on tubes also as I did get a chance to at CanJam and loved that sound! Right now just listening on my Jot2/Modius stack. Also mostly using the Auteur pads so far. I did also listen with the Eikon Suede...preferred the Auteur. More thoughts will come as I wrap up my review/impressions of them but wanted to get this going as they deserve their own thread!

20220808_205728.jpg
If you can, listen to the Auteur on a higher output impedance OTL headphone amplifier: it will be engaging & magical!

Aug 14, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 19
If you can, listen to the Auteur on a higher output impedance OTL headphone amplifier: it will be engaging & magical!
Yes, I did at CanJam and that is what I'm looking forward to doing again! I'm building a BHC and as long as I do it right, I'll be thrilled to have that listen!

Aug 14, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 19
That should be a great combination. Are you building BHC with or without Speedball?

Aug 14, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 19
Aug 14, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 19
My classics arrive tomorrow - I have a strong idea what i'll be doing tomorrow night :).
Good luck on your crack build; it's a fun project and a great amp. Plus the forums here and over at bottlehead are a great place to go if you have questions or issues.

Aug 14, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 19
I’m looking forward to hearing impressions from all you early adopters, especially those of you that upgraded their OG Auteurs. I’m still on the fence about doing the upgrade.

Aug 15, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #8 of 19
I’m looking forward to hearing impressions from all you early adopters, especially those of you that upgraded their OG Auteurs. I’m still on the fence about doing the upgrade.
Mine are scheduled for delivery Thursday. I plan on doing a 10 day break in, then some critical listening.... Can hardly wait:o2smile:

Aug 15, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #9 of 19
Mine are scheduled for delivery Thursday. I plan on doing a 10 day break in, then some critical listening.... Can hardly wait:o2smile:
Don’t gush too much about your shiny new Blackwood Auteur Classic, or you might make me feel some serious regret for selling them to you!

Aug 15, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #10 of 19
Don’t gush too much about your shiny new Blackwood Auteur Classic, or you might make me feel some serious regret for selling them to you!
No worries Chris, I will only salivate, and will stop before gushing! :scream:Thanks again for the opportunity!!!

Aug 16, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #11 of 19
Auteur classic Cocobolo have arrived, and I've started the burn in process....by listening to music.

My only regret is that I only had one Auteur to give for my country....errr, I mean that I don't have an OG auteur on hand to compare :).

Sep 6, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #13 of 19
I posted my brief comparative impressions of the difference after updating Auteur OG to Classic here.

Sep 6, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #14 of 19
Any opinions yet on the Auteur Classic? Especially from any one who has the original version.
I'm glad I did the upgrade to the classic. I was a big fan of the Auteur OG, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back