ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
May 21, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #6,331 of 6,390
@Mattyjm Really difficult, especially if you have no idea.
It's best to clarify this further with Zmf Support.

About the pads, I realised that I was listening to the Auteur pads all the time, which are actually fantastic on the Atrium.
I have now switched to the Universe.
It's probably rare, but when I changed the pads I had too much pressure on them with the Unsiverse on the left side.
This caused my hearing to drop, which now only affects me.
And it doesn't necessarily affect everyone.
A tip here on the side when you change the pads, make sure that the headphones sit correctly at the height of the earcup, if necessary go up a step with the rods to adjust them.
This has now helped me to take the pressure off the ear and what is encased.
I have now adjusted it and it fits just as well as with the Auteur pads without pressure.
It made me a bit suspicious that you can suddenly get something like this when listening to music.
So I went back and thought about why I had a sudden hearing loss and just checked.
But it helps if you readjust the rods a little after replacing the pads, the left side was too low for me compared to the right.

May 21, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #6,332 of 6,390
Could I ask for your advice on this? I received an email from ZMF today stating the Marblecake Walnut model I ordered has a small blemish and offer me a partial refund bringing it down to B-stock pricing, alternatively they can create a new set. I've asked if they could send a picture on which I could base my decision. What would you suggest I do? (I'm quoting the relevant part of the email below, for reference.)

In the quality control process, one of our technicians noticed an area where the wood had been stabilized for structural integrity, leaving a small seam in the wood. This headphone is still structurally sound and the blemish would not impact the sonics or warranty. This is a very beautiful unit, but unfortunately we are not able to classify this unit as A-Stock.

Due to this small imperfection, we would be happy to offer you this headphone at a refund for the B-Stock pricing. Additionally, another option would be for our team to create a new Marble Cake Walnut set as well.
I would definitely ask them and see if you could get pictures of the seam so you can decide if that’s something you could live with.

That said I’ve bought a B-stock Caldera and can’t tell why it’s B-stock by looking at it. Just looks like natural wood to me. I would say that they have very high standards and having seen B-stock units on their site during ZMF November I could rarely see why it’s classified as B-stock.

Personally I would take the B-stock and with the refund now get a nice cable or different earpads

May 21, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #6,333 of 6,390
In my experience with ZMF, whatever blemish is there probably wouldn't even have been noticeable if they hadn't pointed it out (I think they are just very selective when it comes to QC for any imperfections).

May 21, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #6,334 of 6,390
Honestly it depends upon how much tolerance you have for imperfections. Personally if ZMF says it's structurally sound, I wouldn't care at all. I care more about the sound, and for me imperfections are character in the overall appearance.

If you're someone who wants the headphone to be perfect, it would definitely be reasonable to ask for a photo. I'm sure Zach will let you know if he can.(FWIW I also wholeheartedly agree with @michael2v )

Either way, best of luck. I'll bet you'll love the sound once you get a ZMF.

(BTW IDK what a marblecake walnut is, but now I'm hungry)

May 21, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #6,335 of 6,390
Interesting discussion about b stock as I just purchased a second hand set of Atrium Open headphones that are b stock. I was able to track down photos from the original owner (I purchased them from the second owner), and I sent all the photos to ZMF. They thought they looked great, and weren't sure themselves why they were determined to be sold as b stock; maybe the slight imperfections in the lighter wood (which is sap) of the Cocobolo wood cups. I should have them sometime next week. B stock headphones come with one set of earpads and one cable; if ZMF were to include a second set of earpads as well as a second cable for Quenya at the b stock lowered price, that would sweeten the deal. My assumption though is along the lines of what has already been stated, that ZMF is very particular about what goes out the door; it's possible that if some of the headphones sold as b stock were sold as 'a' stock, the end user might not have thought twice about it, since wood can have so many variations in it naturally anyhow.

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #6,336 of 6,390
(BTW IDK what a marblecake walnut is, but now I'm hungry)
me too...
1716303749417.png

Black Walnut Cake, an old fashioned Southern favorite.

May 21, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #6,337 of 6,390
Mmm…marble cake

IMG_0161.jpeg

IMG_0162.jpeg

May 21, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #6,338 of 6,390
IMG_6166.jpg
IMG_6168.jpg

IMG_6167.jpg

Most of you recommended that I go for the B-stock, but the supplied photos have me leaning towards opting for a new set. Would like to hear your thoughts.

May 21, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #6,339 of 6,390
Mmm…marble cake

IMG_0161.jpeg
IMG_0162.jpeg
Recently asked ZMF direct if they could send me some pics of a current run from the Zebrawood lineup so i can see more different shades of it, and they were so Kind :)
......Then having opened the picture on my screen and my girlfriend walking by was like "why are you looking at Nusschnecken?!" (don't know the english name for them, but have a pic for reference)

Attachments

• saftige-hefe-nuss-schnecken.jpg
    saftige-hefe-nuss-schnecken.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 0
May 21, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #6,340 of 6,390
IMG_6166.jpgIMG_6168.jpg
IMG_6167.jpg

Most of you recommended that I go for the B-stock, but the supplied photos have me leaning towards opting for a new set. Would like to hear your thoughts.
Since you, as an owner, are not comfortable and leaning towards new so go for new. Doesn’t matter what we think. It will always be in back of your head and will spoil your listening experience.

May 21, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #6,341 of 6,390
IMG_6166.jpgIMG_6168.jpg
IMG_6167.jpg

For me personally I'd avoid cracks for fear of it growing over time. I don't mind little nicks or finishing blemishes, but structural issues scare me. Just my opinion of course.

May 21, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #6,342 of 6,390
@Quenya Likewise, I agree with @erics75
The hairline crack can possibly spread over time. Otherwise it has a very nice color and grain pattern. If it were me I'd ask for another in a similar pattern.
ZMF customer service is the best :thumbsup:

May 21, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #6,343 of 6,390

I could see there being (at least) two ways of approaching this, and both follow from an assumption about $$$:
  1. these are expensive headphones and, as such, you want something that's absolutely right for you to love and cherish and treasure for years to come
  2. because they're expensive headphones, a discount to reduce the cost - at the expense of aesthetics - would be welcome
Framed this way, it boils down to what matters more to you. Since you were willing to pay the full price originally, I'd agree with the others above and ask to get a new pair, with similar color and grain pattern.

May 21, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #6,344 of 6,390
From all of the photos I have seen of the b stock Atriums I just recently purchased (haven't arrived yet), I would not have likely purchased them with a crack of that size. Like I said in my original post, it was even hard for ZMF to determine why the ones I purchased were originally considered b stock. This looks to be a different story. But as others have said, ZMF will take care of you.

May 21, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #6,345 of 6,390
It is a nice pair with beautiful patterns. I would probably ask for a new pair as well but only you can decide whether the B-stock discount matters more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back