ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jan 25, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #5,626 of 6,922
I had put my Atriums away pretty much since before Thanksgiving because I got a JAR580 around that time (that headphone is simply one of favorites I've ever heard when paired with the Copenhagen - synergy matters!) and then went on a trip over the holidays that I took the ACs and my gold bar.

Took it out of the hard case yesterday and getting reacquainted with it. Reminded again why this headphone is unequivocally the one I'd keep if I had to sell everything else. Micro and macro dynamics grab your attention and it's creamy mids allow me to slink into very long fatigue free sessions. They image so beautifully but retain wet musicality all the same. The Atrium emotionally connects me to music like no other headphone is capable of for me. I am teleported to shows I've seen artists at when I close my eyes.

View attachment IMG_0184.jpeg

I told my wife tonight that the Atrium is my headphone equivalent of her. She predictably called me a dummy but it's true. Other headphones will come and go, some will have lengthier stays than others, but the Atrium will always be here. They move me.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 12:43 AM Post #5,627 of 6,922
I told my wife tonight that the Atrium is my headphone equivalent of her. She predictably called me a dummy but it's true. Other headphones will come and go, some will have lengthier stays than others, but the Atrium will always be here. They move me.

Brave man! :sweat_smile:

"I really like you, honey...but I love these headphones!"

Edit: Maybe the new ZMF marketing slogan? "Spouses may come and go, but a ZMF is forever." Paging @zach915m!

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 12:46 AM Post #5,628 of 6,922
The Atrium has a long way to go to catch up to my wife and I's 19 years, thankfully! Hopefully it never does!

Jan 25, 2024 at 12:51 AM Post #5,630 of 6,922
I had put my Atriums away pretty much since before Thanksgiving because I got a JAR580 around that time (that headphone is simply one of favorites I've ever heard when paired with the Copenhagen - synergy matters!) and then went on a trip over the holidays that I took the ACs and my gold bar.

Took it out of the hard case yesterday and getting reacquainted with it. Reminded again why this headphone is unequivocally the one I'd keep if I had to sell everything else. Micro and macro dynamics grab your attention and it's creamy mids allow me to slink into very long fatigue free sessions. They image so beautifully but retain wet musicality all the same. The Atrium emotionally connects me to music like no other headphone is capable of for me. I am teleported to shows I've seen artists at when I close my eyes.

that Copenhagen Amp looks cool.
How does it pair with DSHA?
I’m away from my DSHA for a year now and hopefully I will have it sooner with me.

Jan 25, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #5,631 of 6,922
So, based on this, how does your wife feel about other women coming and going? :)

Jan 25, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #5,632 of 6,922
Since I haven’t seen Atrium Open - Natural pics posted yet, I thought I would share mine. Just arrived 15 minutes ago. Obligatory Stellaris in the shot. @zach915m and team did a wonderful job with these. Quick add - 549gm w/aluminum

Attachments

• IMG_0566.jpeg
    IMG_0566.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0567.jpeg
    IMG_0567.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0568.jpeg
    IMG_0568.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0569.jpeg
    IMG_0569.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #5,633 of 6,922
Well, I have spent a few days with the Atriums and I am still forming my opinions, but I have to say that I am impressed. I have been a fan of the LCD-X (2021) and have enjoyed it with my THX-789 amp for some time. I wanted to set up another amp/headphone that was complimentary to the Audeze. I thought a good contrast to planar magnetic headphones and solid state would be tubes and dynamic drivers. The Eufonika amp was my first purchase and I have rolled the tubes (Apos pre-tube and NOS Svetlana driver). I tried the amp with the 6XX and the DT1990 Pro, both have their merits, but were not at the level of the LCD-X in my opinion.

The pairing of the OTL tube amp and the Atriums is quite enjoyable. Very dynamic, smooth, and more than enough detail. The most noticeable attribute I have found is how natural the headphones sound. Acoustic instruments and vocals sound realistic. I didn't know this was missing, but when I A:B the LCD-X the Atrium just sounds more real.

Now, it's not a slam dunk win here for the Atrium. The LCD-X is more engaging and impressive on electronic music and it has better sub-bass and detail retrieval. Both will have their place in my rotation and I will appreciate the different things they can bring to enjoying music.

I have to say, that the Atriums not needing EQ like the LCD-X is a huge benefit. I watch movies that can't get the benefit of my Roon EQ settings. I think the Atrium will be my go to headphone for video as well.

I also find the Atrium quite comfortable and lighter on my head than I would have thought. I also love the craftsmanship and it feels like a true luxury to own. However, the stock cables are not my favorite - way too stiff. I am using my Audeze cables at the moment.

I plan on spending some time with them without EQ, pad rolling, or swapping out the mesh but have played around with some EQ. I may see some benefit to adding a boost in the sub bass and raising the dip in the 10k region, but no firm opinions yet.
Is that model H5 tube amp?

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #5,634 of 6,922
Since I haven’t seen Atrium Open - Natural pics posted yet, I thought I would share mine. Just arrived 15 minutes ago. Obligatory Stellaris in the shot. @zach915m and team did a wonderful job with these. Quick add - 549gm w/aluminum

Really love that wood grain color, looks like ash.. what wood is it actually? Is that stock option now? One of the nicest sets I’ve seen ❤️

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #5,635 of 6,922
Really love that wood grain color, looks like ash.. what wood is it actually? Is that stock option now? One of the nicest sets I’ve seen ❤️
It part of the Shou-Sugi-Ban Ash LTD series.

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #5,636 of 6,922
Jan 25, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #5,637 of 6,922
Fantastic looking set! I finally received my Atriums back with new drivers along with the Burson Voyager. so far the pairing with my Sonnet Morpheus and Hermes sound wonderful

Jan 25, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #5,639 of 6,922
Since I haven’t seen Atrium Open - Natural pics posted yet, I thought I would share mine. Just arrived 15 minutes ago. Obligatory Stellaris in the shot. @zach915m[/USER] and team did a wonderful job with these. Quick add - 549gm w/aluminum
The Ash wood is nice and light comparatively. Your Ash AO is very close the weight of my Ash Caldera.
I selected aluminum on all.
My weight measurements:
Cherry AO's: 569 g
Ash Caldera: 543 g
and for comparison Ironwood VC's: 674 g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back