ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jan 21, 2024 at 10:58 PM Post #5,611 of 6,229
That's very difficult recommendation, one is antique amp, the other two are DIY projects.

I heard that current best pairing with Atrium is the ZMF Decware OTL, however, that's a $4,200 before tax option. I am itching for an upgrade from my https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/products/decware-zmf-otl
I believe Zmf will be selling the Aegis sometime in the future. Absolutely fantastic with the Atrium. The Sansui is a bit of an oddball but with some luck you can find some of the less sought after models for a steal.

Jan 22, 2024 at 1:01 AM Post #5,612 of 6,229
Also, if you haven't heard AO on the new Nitsch Pietus Maximus you owe it to yourself to do so asap. Jaw-dropping synergy is at play here.
I see you're running with the internal DAC; do you mind my asking if you've got the ESS or multi-bit card?

Jan 22, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #5,613 of 6,229
I have and like the Feliks Euforia with my ZMF headphones. Affordable second hand units are offered in the classifieds from time to time.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #5,614 of 6,229
I see you're running with the internal DAC; do you mind my asking if you've got the ESS or multi-bit card?
ESS. For whatever reason it sounds fantastic. I prefer it with Pietus over my Yiggy A2.

Based on memory, I think Bifrost 2 OG would be a better pairing with Pietus if going for an external dac.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #5,616 of 6,229
so I have order a bocote atrium on 12/24, still have not heard anything yet. Fellow zmf brothers, how does one get through this arduous wait not checking their email like 20 times a day? lol
Bench press and deadlift

Jan 23, 2024 at 3:12 AM Post #5,617 of 6,229
so I have order a bocote atrium on 12/24, still have not heard anything yet. Fellow zmf brothers, how does one get through this arduous wait not checking their email like 20 times a day? lol
1705997573866.jpeg

Jan 23, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #5,618 of 6,229
I ordered 13th December and waiting, it's part of the ZMF experience lol :beerchug: (at least when you order during the November sale)

Jan 23, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #5,619 of 6,229
Bench press and deadlift
Don't listen to these guys.

Tom Petty was right -- The Waiting is the Hardest Part

But it's also an essential part of the experience. My Auteur order was placed 11/10/17; received 3/9/18, so 1 day short of 4 months. Back then it was clicking Refresh to see if the progress spreadsheet had been updated ... 20 times a day :)

(To be fair, this was during the introductory period, and my order was one of about 100.)

Jan 23, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #5,620 of 6,229
How did I manage to wait? while not being able to wait for anything.. Upgrading the rest of the chain helped until the headphones arrived haha.

Jan 23, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #5,621 of 6,229
Jan 23, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #5,623 of 6,229
Well, I have spent a few days with the Atriums and I am still forming my opinions, but I have to say that I am impressed. I have been a fan of the LCD-X (2021) and have enjoyed it with my THX-789 amp for some time. I wanted to set up another amp/headphone that was complimentary to the Audeze. I thought a good contrast to planar magnetic headphones and solid state would be tubes and dynamic drivers. The Eufonika amp was my first purchase and I have rolled the tubes (Apos pre-tube and NOS Svetlana driver). I tried the amp with the 6XX and the DT1990 Pro, both have their merits, but were not at the level of the LCD-X in my opinion.

The pairing of the OTL tube amp and the Atriums is quite enjoyable. Very dynamic, smooth, and more than enough detail. The most noticeable attribute I have found is how natural the headphones sound. Acoustic instruments and vocals sound realistic. I didn't know this was missing, but when I A:B the LCD-X the Atrium just sounds more real.

Now, it's not a slam dunk win here for the Atrium. The LCD-X is more engaging and impressive on electronic music and it has better sub-bass and detail retrieval. Both will have their place in my rotation and I will appreciate the different things they can bring to enjoying music.

I have to say, that the Atriums not needing EQ like the LCD-X is a huge benefit. I watch movies that can't get the benefit of my Roon EQ settings. I think the Atrium will be my go to headphone for video as well.

I also find the Atrium quite comfortable and lighter on my head than I would have thought. I also love the craftsmanship and it feels like a true luxury to own. However, the stock cables are not my favorite - way too stiff. I am using my Audeze cables at the moment.

I plan on spending some time with them without EQ, pad rolling, or swapping out the mesh but have played around with some EQ. I may see some benefit to adding a boost in the sub bass and raising the dip in the 10k region, but no firm opinions yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1178.jpeg
    IMG_1178.jpeg
    290.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #5,624 of 6,229
Well, I have spent a few days with the Atriums and I am still forming my opinions, but I have to say that I am impressed. I have been a fan of the LCD-X (2021) and have enjoyed it with my THX-789 amp for some time. I wanted to set up another amp/headphone that was complimentary to the Audeze. I thought a good contrast to planar magnetic headphones and solid state would be tubes and dynamic drivers. The Eufonika amp was my first purchase and I have rolled the tubes (Apos pre-tube and NOS Svetlana driver). I tried the amp with the 6XX and the DT1990 Pro, both have their merits, but were not at the level of the LCD-X in my opinion.

The pairing of the OTL tube amp and the Atriums is quite enjoyable. Very dynamic, smooth, and more than enough detail. The most noticeable attribute I have found is how natural the headphones sound. Acoustic instruments and vocals sound realistic. I didn't know this was missing, but when I A:B the LCD-X the Atrium just sounds more real.

Now, it's not a slam dunk win here for the Atrium. The LCD-X is more engaging and impressive on electronic music and it has better sub-bass and detail retrieval. Both will have their place in my rotation and I will appreciate the different things they can bring to enjoying music.

I have to say, that the Atriums not needing EQ like the LCD-X is a huge benefit. I watch movies that can't get the benefit of my Roon EQ settings. I think the Atrium will be my go to headphone for video as well.

I also find the Atrium quite comfortable and lighter on my head than I would have thought. I also love the craftsmanship and it feels like a true luxury to own. However, the stock cables are not my favorite - way too stiff. I am using my Audeze cables at the moment.

I plan on spending some time with them without EQ, pad rolling, or swapping out the mesh but have played around with some EQ. I may see some benefit to adding a boost in the sub bass and raising the dip in the 10k region, but no firm opinions yet.
Love the grain on those!

Jan 23, 2024 at 11:31 PM Post #5,625 of 6,229
I’ve been enjoying my atrium opens for a while now with the caldera ultra perf pads, but was curious and interested in revisiting the stock universe pads (mine did not come with them), and a friendly head fier here sold me a set of universe hybrids which just landed today. Installation isn’t quite the easiest (I’m used to Grados just pulling on and off lol), but got through it fine enough but probably won’t be rolling pads often and will leave these on for at least a few weeks before comparing back.

Anyways, I’m enjoying what I’m hearing! I’m getting closer to the stage, very direct and just big tone and bass punch, a lot of fun! Not as smooth as the caldera ultra perfs, not the same kind of air, and overall has a little more crunch and edge as compared to a certain silkiness I get from the caldera UP. Comfort wise the suede of the hybrid pad feels great around the ear, but I feel the caldera UP is plenty comfy too.

Tldr- these are fantastic headphones and the universe hybrids are a nice different seasoning :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back