ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jan 17, 2024 at 7:05 AM Post #5,551 of 6,514
Hybrid pads can be very hit or miss for people. It's been awhile since I've heard them, but you can check out what I wrote in my pad write-up for the AO. Link in my sig below.
Just to chime in, I agree with your assessment on the Atrium pad rolling, it's quite useful. At first, the Caldera Ultra Perfs were a bit too bright for me, but after some ear burn-in, tube rolling (even without EQ!), and using the solid mesh, they're undisputedly my most favorite pads for any non-electronic genre. For House, Techno, and DnB, I switch back to the Universe Lamb or the bass texture and impact. The Universe Lamb seems to push the vocal upfront, dial up the bass, and push all instruments closer.

Pads I've also tried: BE2 Lamb, Universe Suede, Universe Hybrid. I think the BE2 Lamb has a tad more bass impact than the Caldera Ultra Perfs but just about everything less. Also, I couldn't get used to how close the drivers were to my ears with the BE2 Lamb. The Universe Suede was yucky to my ears as they did something weird to the vocal - like somehow they managed to place a wet cloth pag on the artist's head and held them at gunpoint. The Universe Hybrid pads, although the most comfortable, were uninspiring and felt quite mids (the zoomer's phrase for "just okay").

In terms of comfort, Universe Suede > Universe Hybrid > Caldera Ultra Perfs > BE2 Lamb > Universe Lamb. I find my Universe Lamb pads much firmer and tighter, and I'll have to take frequent breaks. YSMV (Your Skull May Vary) lol

In terms of preferences, Caldera Ultra Perfs (easy and critical listening) = Universe Lamb (fun and punch) >>> Universe Hybrid > BE2 Lamb ~ Universe Suede.

I don't use EQ on my Atrium, but if anyone has some good EQ presets that they'd like to share, I'm all ears.

Cheers!

Jan 17, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #5,552 of 6,514
Just to chime in, I agree with your assessment on the Atrium pad rolling, it's quite useful. At first, the Caldera Ultra Perfs were a bit too bright for me, but after some ear burn-in, tube rolling (even without EQ!), and using the solid mesh, they're undisputedly my most favorite pads for any non-electronic genre. For House, Techno, and DnB, I switch back to the Universe Lamb or the bass texture and impact. The Universe Lamb seems to push the vocal upfront, dial up the bass, and push all instruments closer.

Pads I've also tried: BE2 Lamb, Universe Suede, Universe Hybrid. I think the BE2 Lamb has a tad more bass impact than the Caldera Ultra Perfs but just about everything less. Also, I couldn't get used to how close the drivers were to my ears with the BE2 Lamb. The Universe Suede was yucky to my ears as they did something weird to the vocal - like somehow they managed to place a wet cloth pag on the artist's head and held them at gunpoint. The Universe Hybrid pads, although the most comfortable, were uninspiring and felt quite mids (the zoomer's phrase for "just okay").

In terms of comfort, Universe Suede > Universe Hybrid > Caldera Ultra Perfs > BE2 Lamb > Universe Lamb. I find my Universe Lamb pads much firmer and tighter, and I'll have to take frequent breaks. YSMV (Your Skull May Vary) lol

In terms of preferences, Caldera Ultra Perfs (easy and critical listening) = Universe Lamb (fun and punch) >>> Universe Hybrid > BE2 Lamb ~ Universe Suede.

I don't use EQ on my Atrium, but if anyone has some good EQ presets that they'd like to share, I'm all ears.

Cheers!
I've also been on solid mesh + Caldera UP pads for a while - still great and my primary combination! What I found the BE2 suedes are also very good with a solid mesh. With stock mesh BE2 suedes had too much treble for me. Now sound is focused and just right. Caldera UP pads do have little bit more resolution and sparkle.

Jan 17, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #5,554 of 6,514
From my point of view (but I have not tested with the solid mesh) the leather Universe Pads constitute the best combination with the Atrium. I always come back to it.
Listen to this album whose recording honors this headset

At the moment I'm thinking about upgrading the amplifier side. I'm hesitating between the Feliks audio Envy and the Cayin ha 300 mk2

Does anyone know these 2 amps and their association with the Atrium?

Jan 18, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #5,555 of 6,514
From my point of view (but I have not tested with the solid mesh) the leather Universe Pads constitute the best combination with the Atrium. I always come back to it.
Listen to this album whose recording honors this headset

At the moment I'm thinking about upgrading the amplifier side. I'm hesitating between the Feliks audio Envy and the Cayin ha 300 mk2

Does anyone know these 2 amps and their association with the Atrium?

Salut Patrick, thanks a bunch for the "Explosions In The Sky" recommendation. It's really hitting the spot on the Atrium. Spent the last couple of weeks with the Auteur pads, but I'm back with the Universe pads, and I've decided these pads with the stock mesh are where it's at for the Atrium. The Auteur pads made things a bit too warm and bass-heavy, and I kinda missed that bite and crunch for electric guitars. When it comes to your amp search, consider throwing the Icon Audio HP8 Signature on your list. It's way more budget-friendly than the two you mentioned and might not be too far off, especially with some better tubes. Cheers!

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #5,557 of 6,514
Spent the week going through this entire thread, lots of tips to get me prepared! :beerchug: Atrium will definitely be my next headphone, I'll be waiting for the next resin drop :o2smile:

It's one of a kind headphone truly... It still wows me a year later! :)

Jan 18, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #5,558 of 6,514
Favorite solid state or otl tube amp for Atrium, go!

Jan 18, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #5,561 of 6,514
Violectric V222 for solid state and also agree on the Icon Audio HP8 :thumbsup:

Jan 18, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #5,562 of 6,514
I find Holo Bliss working well with Atrium.
Edit: I always have Freya+ in tube mode these days. So Freya + with KenRad 231 and Bliss works well for me

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #5,563 of 6,514
Favorite solid state or otl tube amp for Atrium, go!
SS: Vioelectric HPA V281 / Beyerdynamic A20

VT: Icon Audio HP8 Signature (OTC) / Woo Audio WA3 (OTL).

Jan 19, 2024 at 5:47 AM Post #5,564 of 6,514
Jan 19, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #5,565 of 6,514
À big thank you for all your advices for amps and a big greeting to our Quebec friends. Now i will read some reviews and take a decision.
Already having an Auris Ha2 which is already an excellent amp for the Atrium, I would really like to go up several notches and find the end-of-the-game amp as some say

Users who are viewing this thread

Back