ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Nov 27, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #5,281 of 6,236
Probably good to buy a lot of them. I can't give generalized advice as I don't like any of the Auteur or Universe pad variants on the Atrium and generally prefer the pads that bring my ear closest to the drivers.

Nov 27, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #5,282 of 6,236
Umm ... which do you already have?
Recently got a stabilised AO with stock pads & ateur lambskin perforated, waiting for it to ship.
Other than that
VO BE2 labskin perf, VO universe perf hybrid (perf inside, lambskn out)
Caldera thin lamb, Caldera thick lamb, Caldera stock lamb, Caldera Suede

So when it comes to AO not much I guess. If that helps for sound signature, I prefer thick on Caldera, stock on AC and universe hybrid on VO.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #5,283 of 6,236
Recently got a stabilised AO with stock pads & ateur lambskin perforated, waiting for it to ship.
Other than that
VO BE2 labskin perf, VO universe perf hybrid (perf inside, lambskn out)
Caldera thin lamb, Caldera thick lamb, Caldera stock lamb, Caldera Suede

So when it comes to AO not much I guess. If that helps for prefered sound signature, I prefer thick on Caldera, stock caldera on AC and universe hybrid on VO.
Check out my pad comparison for the Atrium Open if you haven't already. Link in my sig. The only Caldera pads really recommended for the AO are the Ultra Perf pads, and they're arguably the best.

Nov 27, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #5,284 of 6,236
About to place an order for plenty of ZMF accessories, what other pads would you suggest to get for Atrium?
That depends on what you want vs the stock pads. I personally love the flatter pads like the BE2 perf, Verite perf, and Caldera ultra perf (all lambskin). I found the stock pads a bit reserved in the upper mids and treble. I run mine with no mesh and the Caldera ultra perf or BE2, they're my go to pads. They sound brighter and more aggressive to me and make music more engaging. You do lose some soundstage with them, and they are quite bassy, but not boomy or flabby at all. But man that bass hits, especially on the Caldera ultra perf. I was listening this weekend to them and kept thinking man these seem to be hitting as hard as my Atrium Closed, which are jackhammers. Those were at work so I couldn't do a comparison unfortunately.

Nov 27, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #5,287 of 6,236
I jury rigged a system to let my new AO play 24/7 so I can still use main system. Also the beauty is I can put the AO in the closet and play to break in and my wife won't know I got another headphone. 😀
Ha! My wife saw a third Pelican case in my “headphone cabinet” and was like, “Umm, now there are three?” Had to explain that she got me an Atrium for Christmas and I just had not told her yet!

Nov 27, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #5,288 of 6,236
Do the more forward vocals in the Atrium ever sound shouty or honky? The Clear MG's rise around 1 or 1.5 KHz bothers me, so I dial it back about 3db.
Shouty & honky are 2 things I've never gotten from the Atrium or any other ZMF.

Nov 27, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #5,289 of 6,236
Ha! My wife saw a third Pelican case in my “headphone cabinet” and was like, “Umm, now there are three?” Had to explain that she got me an Atrium for Christmas and I just had not told her yet!
I guess you're going to have to one up her. "Just wait until you see what I got for you...."

Nov 28, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #5,290 of 6,236
Do the more forward vocals in the Atrium ever sound shouty or honky? The Clear MG's rise around 1 or 1.5 KHz bothers me, so I dial it back about 3db.
Shouty / honky ? In Atrium: never. Others in traffic: ☑️.

Nov 28, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #5,291 of 6,236
I think vocals usually sound excellent and much better than on the Clear MG, but electric guitars, for example, often border on being a bit too biting/aggressive with the Atrium for me.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #5,292 of 6,236
About to place an order for plenty of ZMF accessories, what other pads would you suggest to get for Atrium?

Other than Universe and Auteur lamb my favorite pads are Caldera Ultra Perf, Auteur hybrid (most comfort), and BE2 suede. Eikon suede is interesting too but I prefer the Auteur pads. @heliosphann 's pad comparison will give you a good idea.
The stock mesh is good sweet spot imo, but the solid or radial mesh will make them darker/ brighter depending on what you want. Solid mesh will tame the 5KHz peak.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #5,293 of 6,236
I think vocals usually sound excellent and much better than on the Clear MG, but electric guitars, for example, often border on being a bit too biting/aggressive with the Atrium for me.
This can be easily remedied by pad and/or mesh choice 👍🏼

Nov 28, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #5,294 of 6,236
This can be easily remedied by pad and/or mesh choice 👍🏼
I reccomend the lambskin perforated BE2 pads.

Nov 28, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #5,295 of 6,236
Check out my pad comparison for the Atrium Open if you haven't already. Link in my sig. The only Caldera pads really recommended for the AO are the Ultra Perf pads, and they're arguably the best.
I agree I have probably all the pads, so many some are not labeled and also prefer the Caldera Ultra Perf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back