ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Sep 28, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #5,026 of 6,238
I just added the Lektric C cable and it feels so much better than the stock OFC cable. The stock cable sounds really good, but it was a bit too stiff and heavy for me. Well worth the money just in looks and feel alone, making the headphone feel a bit more premium too. :)
I gotta agree with you on the stock SE cable. Just received my used pair of the Atriums and the SE cable is so darn stiff and unwieldy. Seems a bit out of place for such a nice quality/expensive headphone.

Sep 28, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #5,027 of 6,238
I gotta agree with you on the stock SE cable. Just received my used pair of the Atriums and the SE cable is so darn stiff and unwieldy. Seems a bit out of place for such a nice quality/expensive headphone.
I believe you're referring to the OFC wire.

The ofc wire we use is technically "better" than the stock wire as far as the content, but the extra shielding does make the cable stiffer.

Soon we will have unshielded litz coated OFC wire that you'll be able to get in braided form that will be prettier and more malleable than the current OFC wire for a small cost.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Sep 29, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #5,028 of 6,238
They have arrived !! WOW they are truly stunning , thankYOU ZMF !! Beautiful to look at and even better to listen to
IMG_2217.jpg

Sep 29, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #5,029 of 6,238
They have arrived !! WOW they are truly stunning , thankYOU ZMF !! Beautiful to look at and even better to listen to
What a lovely headphone. Love the wood. Congrats enjoy.👍

Sep 29, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #5,030 of 6,238
Nice test of base , sounds wonderfull in my Atriums
Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 10.52.19 pm.png

Sep 29, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #5,031 of 6,238
They have arrived !! WOW they are truly stunning , thankYOU ZMF !! Beautiful to look at and even better to listen to IMG_2217.jpg
They look great!! The best part is the longer you have them and listen to them......The better they get!!

Sep 29, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #5,032 of 6,238
Sep 29, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #5,033 of 6,238
Steven Wilson's new album The Harmony Codex sounds incredible on Atrium. The production is great and showcases the strengths of Atrium in such a way you might think it was made for Atrium in mind. Just a ton of soundstage. I'm *very* curious how Atrium Closed would compare because there's a lot of deep bass on this album.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #5,035 of 6,238
Nabbed a used Border Patrol R2R dac and am absolutely loving it.
Yes, yes, YES!

R2R chip, no oversampling or digital filter, a good valve output stage, good quality components and fine build quality by an expert.
To my ears, this recipe is absolutely superb, unbeatable.
I'm sure you are enjoying it as much as I love my TDA1541A based CD players , modded by me as above.

As for Border Patrol; the guy is an expert at power supplies for valve gear; I used a mains transformer of his and results were excellent.
I have not tried a valve rectifier on my modded CD players, I note BP use this so I trust that it is worth it; something for me to try on a future build.

Sep 30, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #5,036 of 6,238
Steven Wilson's new album The Harmony Codex sounds incredible on Atrium. The production is great and showcases the strengths of Atrium in such a way you might think it was made for Atrium in mind. Just a ton of soundstage. I'm *very* curious how Atrium Closed would compare because there's a lot of deep bass on this album.
Yeah I've been listening to this quite a bit myself since release and it's a winner on Atrium.

Sep 30, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #5,037 of 6,238
Yes, yes, YES!

R2R chip, no oversampling or digital filter, a good valve output stage, good quality components and fine build quality by an expert.
To my ears, this recipe is absolutely superb, unbeatable.
I'm sure you are enjoying it as much as I love my TDA1541A based CD players , modded by me as above.

As for Border Patrol; the guy is an expert at power supplies for valve gear; I used a mains transformer of his and results were excellent.
I have not tried a valve rectifier on my modded CD players, I note BP use this so I trust that it is worth it; something for me to try on a future build.
I also concur re: good R2R DACs.

Both the Bifrost 2 and Yggdrasil are amazing with my ZMFs.

Sep 30, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #5,038 of 6,238
The layering and soundstage on this song is amazing.

Yea, but how does the growling MS-20 synth on "Sexy Boy" sound?!? :smile:

Oct 1, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #5,039 of 6,238
LOL , just realised I had my Caldera Ultra pads on my Atriums on the wrong way , I just read that the seams should point to the xlr cable , I had them on the wrong cups .
Sounds even better now :astonished:

Oct 1, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #5,040 of 6,238
LOL , just realised I had my Caldera Ultra pads on my Atriums on the wrong way , I just read that the seams should point to the xlr cable , I had them on the wrong cups .
Sounds even better now :astonished:
That's funny, I wonder sometimes when guys are commenting do they have the pads attached correctly with the seam pointed downwards toward the mini xlr. It makes a difference. I own every pad offered and find the Caldera pad far and away my favorite.
For me in my system and on the DCS stack which I was allowed to listen on they sound phenomenal. I compared the Susvara, new Utopia, HE 1000 SE, Atrium with Caldera Pads, Meze Elites, Stellia, JM XTC open OG and revised XTC. I listened on both Chord TT2 and Upscaler, IFI and finally the second day on the DCS 30K stack whew.
On the DCS stack everything scales accordingly. The way I see it just some quick thoughts, on live acoustic stuff (lifelike tamber/natural sounding) Susvara 9.5 (out of ten), they just sound real, Focal Utopia 9.3, Hifiman He1000 SE 9.3, ZMF Atrium 9.2, Stellia, 8.9, Elites 8.8, XTC revised 8.8. Resolution follows around the same ranking, though I would rank the revised XTC a 9.0. Staging width and size Susvara 9.5, HE1000 SE 9.4, ZMF Atrium 9.3, Elites 9.3, XTC 9.3, Utopia 9.2 and Stellia 8.9. Money no object I'd rank Susvara with the stack because of its pure musicality, tone etc., Utopia next. What would I buy, me personally I'd buy the HE 1000 SE and Atrium (with Caldera Pads) for a total of 4500.00 before the others because they do the most things right and complement each other. The Elites to me overall on thls and the Chord stack are enjoyable for casual listening but fall far behind this pack overall and I would never pay 4K for them outside of their looks. The JM XTC are far and away the best deal here and believe it or not fair very well, it's a great headphone as a baseline into the starting point of the ultra highend sound. I was sad that I didn't get to listen to the Audeze LCD 5 they were not available.
I cut it short because I went on a tangent outside of the subject area to say the Atrium is a fantastic headphone with the Caldera pads installed correctly. I'll be interested once all my equipment returns to test my current phones and decide what to purchase next. My wishlist Caldera, Susvara, JM XTC 2.5, Audeze LCD 5, Atrium closed, Heddphone 2,0
My system Wyze Mesh router into IFI LAN to TRENDnet 4 port gigibit switch, fiber out to TRENDnet converter ethernet Cat 8 to Sonnet Hermes I2S to Sonnet Morpheus to 2023 Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer with 2.0 power modules and 5 amp power supply into a Zenwave power strip supported by several Nordost QRT's and Verastarr cabling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back