ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jul 18, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #4,771 of 6,239
Quick Caldera Ultra Perf notes after a few hours, with solid mesh. The Universe has been my "main" pads for the past month and a half and the Caldera pads are noticeably more open sounding. A touch brighter but not in a bad way, a touch less mid-bass (but more sub-bass?). Think BE2 linearity but with a larger soundstage. Airy.
Amber Rubarth Scribbled Folk Symphonies sound absolutely amazing. These are the pads you want if you want soundstage, and they're also very comfortable. Even if you're not into pad-rolling I highly recommend checking them out.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #4,772 of 6,239
Quick Caldera Ultra Perf notes after a few hours, with solid mesh. The Universe has been my "main" pads for the past month and a half and the Caldera pads are noticeably more open sounding. A touch brighter but not in a bad way, a touch less mid-bass (but more sub-bass?). Think BE2 linearity but with a larger soundstage. Airy.
Amber Rubarth Scribbled Folk Symphonies sound absolutely amazing. These are the pads you want if you want soundstage, and they're also very comfortable. Even if you're not into pad-rolling I highly recommend checking them out.
Hey, I really share your taste in music here as I also find that CD amazing - even better than Sessions from the 17th Ward.
I really must try these pads ...

Jul 22, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #4,773 of 6,239
Been having a lot of enjoyable sessions this week with the Caldera pads. Currently revisiting some prog rock. King Crimson, Genesis, Yes, Rush and they all sound fantastic. So far I think I prefer them over Universe. They maintain the frequency response but opens up the stage a bit more, making the Atrium more "Atrium." Everything sounds coherent and refined. I might still prefer the Auteur pads for the slightly warmer tonality and reach for the Caldera pads depending on genre/ mood. YMMV.

I'd love to see frequency response measurements of the Caldera pads, especially in comparison to the Universe.

Jul 28, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #4,775 of 6,239
Have done a lot of pad rolling and changing meshes with my "Crater".

Has anyone else tried Auteur Suede Perforated + without mesh? For now it is my favourite and almost perfect.
I would need a really minimalistic mesh.
It sounds really energetic, with almost sparkly treble and a nice punch to the bass.
Comparing to the Caldera (with Mesh installed) the Caldera seems just a bit darker.
They both have a very nice room presentation. With the Atrium it seems more like I am in the audience, while with the Caldera I am right in the middle of it all, like there is a sphere of sounds around me.
For now I prefer the Caldera for electronic music and the Atrium for Rock/Metal, but really both a good with anything.

Alternatively Auteur Lambskin Perforated with the vented mesh. It is more of a dark sound with strong bass also.
Both Suede and Leather Be2 sound also nice. Suede has a bit more character than the leather pads, but it is too unrealistic at times.
I need to use a mesh here otherwise there is too much energy in the upper mids (i guess?)

Just for reference I don't like the sound with the Universe pads at all (Suede or Lamb). They are too shouty for my ears (also problem with the upper mids here) and less engaging.
I also tried the Ultra Perforated Caldera Pads but they are too shouty for me as well (Kinda like the universe), with full mesh I didnt like them either (I cant remember why though)

Maybe I will do some measurements with my MiniEars if anyone is interested in some Pad + Mesh combinations.

atriumcrater.jpg

Jul 28, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #4,776 of 6,239

Has anyone else tried Auteur Suede Perforated + without mesh? For now it is my favourite and almost perfect.
It sounds really energetic, with almost sparkly treble and a nice punch to the bass.
Comparing to the Caldera (with Mesh installed) the Caldera seems just a bit darker.
They both have a very nice room presentation. With the Atrium it seems more like I am in the audience, while with the Caldera I am right in the middle of it all, like there is a sphere of sounds around me.
For now I prefer the Caldera for electronic music and the Atrium for Rock/Metal, but really both a good with anything.

Alternatively Auteur Lambskin Perforated with the vented mesh. It is more of a dark sound with strong bass also.
Both Suede and Leather Be2 sound also nice. Suede has a bit more character than the leather pads, but it is too unrealistic at times.
I need to use a mesh here otherwise there is too much energy in the upper mids (i guess?)

Just for reference I don't like the sound with the Universe pads at all (Suede or Lamb). They are too shouty for my ears (also problem with the upper mids here) and less engaging.
I also tried the Ultra Perforated Caldera Pads but they are too shouty for me as well (Kinda like the universe), with full mesh I didnt like them either (I cant remember why though)

Maybe I will do some measurements with my MiniEars if anyone is interested in some Pad + Mesh combinations.

atriumcrater.jpg
Beautiful Atrium!

Jul 28, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #4,777 of 6,239
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 28, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #4,778 of 6,239

I have also done extensive pad rolling, so much so I settled on a personally modded set of ZMF pads to get me to where I wanted to be, but you sir I think are a genius - I just had to give this a try since I have these pads, and again, you are a genius!!!

Jul 30, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #4,779 of 6,239
Jethro Tull - Stand Up album (SW Remix) is awesome with Atrium. Too many times I just want to listen to "a few songs", and a few songs turns into a few hours. Damnit.

https://tidal.com/browse/album/69998358

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #4,780 of 6,239
Jul 31, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #4,781 of 6,239
Just got the ultra perfs on the Atrium, and your impressions are pretty similar to mine. I'm burning in a new headphone as well as a new pair of interconnects at the moment, so I will reserve my critical listening for another day, but my initial thoughts are quite positive and I'm looking forward to more time with them soon.

Aug 1, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #4,783 of 6,239
The ultra perf pads have become my new default pads for the AO

Aug 1, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #4,784 of 6,239
Just got the ultra perfs on the Atrium, and your impressions are pretty similar to mine. I'm burning in a new headphone as well as a new pair of interconnects at the moment, so I will reserve my critical listening for another day, but my initial thoughts are quite positive and I'm looking forward to more time with them soon.
:astonished:

You know it's getting crazy in the streets when Darren rolls some pads...

I'll have some Ultra Perfs very soon.

Aug 1, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #4,785 of 6,239
I'm super happy with the Auteur suede on the atrium. It seems just a bit more forgiving than the leathers. Not that the leather is bad at all. I feel that the suede allows further travel with notes. Like it allows them to fade off vs stopping quickly.

If that makes any sense. In the end it's all fanciful language and the like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back