ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jul 12, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #4,757 of 6,368
Any Atrium (open) owners out there that subsequently bought an Auteur classic and keep both in frequent rotation?

I’ve seen multiple posts from Headfiers who first owned the auteur that keep and listen to both, but wonder how much of that is nostalgia…

I currently have a VC, AO, Aeolus and Caldera and plan to add an AC down the line. Curious form a listening and not collecting standpoint if Auteur provides a distinct enough experience to consider adding as well.
Atrium and AuC are pretty different. They're both "ZMF Neutral" but they achieve that in different ways. Atrium is bit more bassy and hefty sounding, Auteur has a bit more top end emphasis.

Jul 12, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #4,758 of 6,368
Technically, each model in the ZMF lineup offers something different and unique enough (while still being relatives) to warrant owning each.

Whether it’s something you can justify is totally up to your ears and wallet.
If you want a more “neutral” presentation, the Auteur is one of the best in presenting things very naturally.

On the other hand, the VO may be the most “unique” in its presentation. Have you ever listened to the VO out of curiosity?
In some ways, it’s similar to the Caldera (speed and details), but still quite special in other ways.
I may be in the minority, but I actually prefer the VO over the Caldera, for overall musical enjoyment.

There’s something amazing about each and every ZMF. :)

I had formed the impression that the Caldera and VO were more similar than the Atrium and Auteur based on the other posts and reviews I’ve read, but have never heard the VO either, I do appreciate the VC’s speed and clarity relative to the Atrium and Aeolus. i was actually contemplating selling the Aeolus until I happened to listen to it in sequence after the Cladera and LCD4 and wow! So sweet!

Jul 13, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #4,761 of 6,368
Tshirts New 23 Summer.JPG

I am honestly not sure which ZMF thread the T-shirt talk was going down in, so please forgive the random off topic:

BUT, we just got a version of new T-shirt designs in house. In all sizes! They are pocket shirts, which means: your gum, your sunnies, a dongle... look no further than your cool ZMF pocket for these tiny treasures. Now conveniently closer to your face than if they were in your pants!

We will have them up online tomorrow with Summer of Burl!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 13, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #4,762 of 6,368

I am honestly not sure which ZMF thread the T-shirt talk was going down in, so please forgive the random off topic:

BUT, we just got a version of new T-shirt designs in house. In all sizes! They are pocket shirts, which means: your gum, your sunnies, a dongle... look no further than your cool ZMF pocket for these tiny treasures. Now conveniently closer to your face than if they were in your pants!

We will have them up online tomorrow with Summer of Burl!
@BooUrns teasing the swag, yet secretly sporting swaggier swag in her updated avatar pic 😉 unless the ZMF x Converse are gonna be a part of Summer of Burl?!

Jul 14, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #4,763 of 6,368
Long time lurker here and owner of the AO in Koa which I am very happy with ... I also have the BE2 suede and Caldera pads and find the latter just lacking a bit of note weight compared to the universe pads. I also have the solid mesh over the hp's and again prefer this as it tames what can be a little bit of sizzle on some tracks.

My chain is a Musician Draco feeding a Cayin HA-3A.

The Caldera pads certainly add width to the stage but my pref is still for the universe pads, whilst the BE2's do give excellent separation but sound narrower in comparison to all other pads.

Horses for courses for sure!

Jul 14, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #4,764 of 6,368
Are the BE2 pads slightly thicker than the Verite pads? I've heard good things about the Verite pads with Atrium so I got them coming in next week, as well as the Caldera pads. The BE2 Suede are probably my favorite pads (for vocals at least), so I wanted to try the Verite lambskin too.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #4,765 of 6,368
Are the BE2 pads slightly thicker than the Verite pads? I've heard good things about the Verite pads with Atrium so I got them coming in next week, as well as the Caldera pads. The BE2 Suede are probably my favorite pads (for vocals at least), so I wanted to try the Verite lambskin too.

not a clue to be honest so cant help I'm afraid ...

Jul 14, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #4,766 of 6,368

Yes they are a bit thicker/deeper than Verite pads, but still rather thin.

Jul 14, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #4,767 of 6,368
Yes. Noticeable when side by side. I am an evangelist for the Verite pads on the Atrium. Put them on and they've never come off. Was team Be2 prior to that.

Jul 14, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #4,768 of 6,368
Tried the Auteur pads on the AO last night for the first time since breaking in my AO. I had only tried them briefly during break in and wasn’t sold on them.

I proceeded to play this new Colter Wall album, and wow…
https://colterwall.lnk.to/littlesongs

His voice maintains that gritty, growling nature. The guitars sound like they’re in the room with you, and I’ve never heard drums sound so believable in a pair of headphones.

I’m going to leave the Auteur leathers on and see if I actually end up preferring them to the universe leathers across all genres.

ZMFs are the gift that keep giving.

Jul 14, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #4,769 of 6,368
Jul 14, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #4,770 of 6,368
I proceeded to play this new Colter Wall album, and wow…

Checking it out on the go.. thanks for the recommendation..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back