ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jul 8, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #4,726 of 6,238
Many great artists already listed. Here’s some of mine.
Taylor Swift, Sarah Jarosz, Lana Del Rey, Rosalia, St Vincent, Aimee Mann, Solange, Ariana Grande, Janelle Monáe, HAIM, Fran, Phoebe Bridgers….

Jul 9, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #4,727 of 6,238
Emmylou Harris, Joni Mitchell, Fiona Apple, Faye Webster, Adele, Taylor Swift, Aretha Franklin, Jennifer Warnes and so many more female vocalists sound so incredibly good with the Atrium. No sibilance ever. What are your favorite vocalists/ singer-songwriters?
Dido, Adele, Bjork, Flroence Welch, Alanis, Amy Winehouse, Dolly Parton, Annie Lennox, Beyonce, Kacey Musgraves, Lorde, Kelly Clarkson, Lily Allen, Melanie C, Shania Twain, Tracy Chapman. Bjork can be silibilant on some headphones but none of my ZMFs. Alanis slightly on some too.

Jul 9, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #4,729 of 6,238
Dido, Adele, Bjork, Flroence Welch, Alanis, Amy Winehouse, Dolly Parton, Annie Lennox, Beyonce, Kacey Musgraves, Lorde, Kelly Clarkson, Lily Allen, Melanie C, Shania Twain, Tracy Chapman. Bjork can be silibilant on some headphones but none of my ZMFs. Alanis slightly on some too.

Speaking of sibilance on female voice, there is one "anomaly". Norah Jones - The Fall (Album), most of songs here would pronounce sibilance with ZMF Verite Open. However, remain smooth with Caldera and Atrium.

Female Voice is always my main preference in songs, so glad to see many of them mentioned here. To add some: Diana Panton, Maisie Peters, Chie Ayado, Jamie Wong Li and Winterplay.

Jul 9, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #4,730 of 6,238
Speaking of sibilance on female voice, there is one "anomaly". Norah Jones - The Fall (Album), most of songs here would pronounce sibilance with ZMF Verite Open. However, remain smooth with Caldera and Atrium.
Could you specify track/time where you find sibilance? I didnt detect yet in two first tracks with Susvara. I go Atrium or Caldera for female vocals, but I like to try with Susvara to see diferences, because sometimes (very rarely) find sibilance with female vocals. Dont know if it is due the recording, I get sibilance with old TS albums for example, Fearless and Speak Now, but not with the re-recorded Taylor's Versions.

Jul 9, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #4,731 of 6,238
Could you specify track/time where you find sibilance? I didnt detect yet in two first tracks with Susvara. I go Atrium or Caldera for female vocals, but I like to try with Susvara to see diferences, because sometimes (very rarely) find sibilance with female vocals. Dont know if it is due the recording, I get sibilance with old TS albums for example, Fearless and Speak Now, but not with the re-recorded Taylor's Versions.

My most played songs are:
- Even Though
- Waiting

Both songs are in my staple playlist to testing new gear, but I also listen this album for daily dose of Norah Jones' Voice into my head.

Jul 9, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #4,732 of 6,238
Fav female vocalists

Dani Klein of Vaya Con Dios

Annisette Koppel of Savage Rose

Karen Carpenter

Janis Joplin

Stevie Nicks

Joan Baez

Linda Ronstadt

Dorthia Cottrell ex-Windhand

Jillian Taylor of Ruby The Hatchet

Brittany Slayes of Unleash The Archers

Grace Potter

Jul 9, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #4,733 of 6,238
My most played songs are:
- Even Though
- Waiting

Both songs are in my staple playlist to testing new gear, but I also listen this album for daily dose of Norah Jones' Voice into my head.

Both (remastered tracks in Qobuz) sound beautiful on Susvara without sibilance.

Jul 10, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #4,734 of 6,238
I was just at a Nickel Creek concert last night, and their new CD sounds amazing on my Auteur Classics! I only imagine how good it would sound on a pair of Atriums, Sara Watkins’s voice being a standout, but all three are fantastic singers.
OK, here goes, no special order
Athena, Breathe with Me
Loreena McKennitt; everything. Early works are more folk style, later more celtic/new age, all recommended
Inge Marie Gundersen
Zoe Lewis; not well known but I like most things, particularly 'Fishbone Wishbone Funnybone', unusual as you'd expect but strong musically, get it!
Cheryl Bentyne; I really like her solo work more than with MT
Sinne Eeg
Jane Monheit; not keen on all she's done but I love 'Taking a chance on love'
Rita Connolly; Irish, a touch on the folk style but do try Granuaile - and read the book, Grace O'Malley was fascinating
Sophie Zelmani
Margriet Sjoerdsma, Tribute to Eva Cassidy
Frederica von Stade; classical of course but try her Mozart, mmmm; this has converted a friend who didn't like classical vocal work and ended up getting all her LPs!
Sarah Jarosz
Tierney Sutton; all good, but After Blue stands out for me
Lucy Ann Polk; OK, perhaps a bit dated but class, and good music doesn't date.
Rhiannon Giddens; anything, it's all pure class
Silje Nergaard
Laurie Allyn, Paradise; a definite favourite of mine.

I have tried to include obscure things you might miss. I have many other suggestions, enough for now.

Some great suggestions in this thread, I'll look them up; thanks!

Jul 10, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #4,736 of 6,238
Jul 10, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #4,737 of 6,238
If you haven't yet tried the Caldera Lambskin Ultra Perforarated pads with the Atrium, I warmly recommend giving them a try.

I've had the stock Universe Lambskin Perforated pads now for a, since pickcing up my Atrium at CanJam Chicago 2022. They have obviously worked very well.

Returning to CanJam Chicago 2023 a couple of weeks ago, I picked up at ZMF a pair of the new Caldera Ultra Perf pads. I tried them at the show and thought they sounded great. I've now had them at home in my chain and been listening to the Atrium with them almost exclusively over the last 2 weeks

Gaving tried to switch back to the Universe Lamb Perf to reconfirm my impressions of this change, to me the new Caldera Ultra Perf pads offer the following improvements:
  1. A slight but notable enhanced clarity in mid bass
  2. An overall sense of increased air and soundstage - everything just feels more "open", while retaining the texture and tactility of the Universe
I'm having a blast with these pads :)

Jul 10, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #4,738 of 6,238
If you haven't yet tried the Caldera Lambskin Ultra Perforarated pads with the Atrium, I warmly recommend giving them a try.

I've had the stock Universe Lambskin Perforated pads now for a, since pickcing up my Atrium at CanJam Chicago 2022. They have obviously worked very well.

Returning to CanJam Chicago 2023 a couple of weeks ago, I picked up at ZMF a pair of the new Caldera Ultra Perf pads. I tried them at the show and thought they sounded great. I've now had them at home in my chain and been listening to the Atrium with them almost exclusively over the last 2 weeks

Gaving tried to switch back to the Universe Lamb Perf to reconfirm my impressions of this change, to me the new Caldera Ultra Perf pads offer the following improvements:
  1. A slight but notable enhanced clarity in mid bass
  2. An overall sense of increased air and soundstage - everything just feels more "open", while retaining the texture and tactility of the Universe
I'm having a blast with these pads :)

How do they affect the tonal balance vs the universe pads? Brighter?

Jul 10, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #4,739 of 6,238
How do they affect the tonal balance vs the universe pads? Brighter?

in theory everything has a trade-off, but I didn’t note any. Tuning is similar in terms of frequency response, with all the qualitative attributes of lush voicing, decay, tactile bass and great soundstage retained. Just with slightly more clarity in the bass (which is similarly elevated) and a notable sense of expanded space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back