ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Apr 19, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #4,456 of 6,518
A question, to any of you who don't really like Atrium sound with Universe Pad, which pad is your preference? I don't really like Auteur Pad on Atrium, so that option can be ruled out.
I'm a Perforated Be2 Hybrid pad fan myself - that's what's currently on my Atrium. I prefer the punchier, tighter bass and crisper highs. YMMV.

Apr 19, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #4,458 of 6,518
I also don’t like Auteur pads (or most Univ pads either) as a rule on ZMFs. I like Verite Ultra Perf Lamb on the Atrium as my first preference then BE2 Suede followed by BE2 Lamb. Somewhat strangely I don’t like the BE2 Hybrid.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #4,459 of 6,518
I really like the BE2 suede. Currently using the Auteur hybrid and they're pretty similar to Auteur lambskin, slightly more controlled bass and smoother treble. Addicting sound. I wanna try the BE2 hybrid at some point, but seems like people either love it or hate it. I love how much you can tune the sound to your preference with just pad rolling. So many pads it gets expensive!

Apr 19, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #4,460 of 6,518
So many pads it gets expensive!
I think the trick must be to get several different models of headphone. That way they’re less likely to use the same pads, but you’ll still have a wide variety to choose from. It might sound crazy to have 6 or 8 sets of pads for one headphone, but 1 or 2 per headphone doesn’t even seem like enough. Perspective.

Apr 20, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #4,461 of 6,518
I also don’t like Auteur pads (or most Univ pads either) as a rule on ZMFs. I like Verite Ultra Perf Lamb on the Atrium as my first preference then BE2 Suede followed by BE2 Lamb. Somewhat strangely I don’t like the BE2 Hybrid.

agree with you on the verite lamb pads. its been my favorite

ive had the atrium since monday and have tried the auteur lambskin perf, uni lamb perf thus far

Apr 20, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #4,462 of 6,518
A question, to any of you who don't really like Atrium sound with Universe Pad, which pad is your preference? I don't really like Auteur Pad on Atrium, so that option can be ruled out.
Depends a bit which sound your're after. Universe perf. hybrid take a bit bite off but sound very similar to the stock Universe otherwise. I'm also not a fan of Auteur pads on Atrium. My current favorite are Be2 perf. suede pads.

Apr 20, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #4,463 of 6,518
Thanks a ton for the Be2 pad recommendation. I sold my cherry Atrium to get a bubinga and I've hated how it sounded. The treble was far too aggressive and had a nasty peak.

Last ditch effort was switching from my (used-to-be-favorite auteur leather perf) to be2 pads. I just stole them off my Verite Open quickly.

Absolutely perfect, extended and no-etch at all in the treble (especially vocals) anymore. I was about to sell these after two weeks of trying different tubes. Who knew I needed to switch pads for the same model of headphone. Lesson learned.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #4,464 of 6,518
20230420_223904.jpg

Is this ear pad a be2 pad? I'm confused.

Apr 20, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #4,467 of 6,518
Thanks a ton for the Be2 pad recommendation. I sold my cherry Atrium to get a bubinga and I've hated how it sounded. The treble was far too aggressive and had a nasty peak.

Last ditch effort was switching from my (used-to-be-favorite auteur leather perf) to be2 pads. I just stole them off my Verite Open quickly.

Absolutely perfect, extended and no-etch at all in the treble (especially vocals) anymore. I was about to sell these after two weeks of trying different tubes. Who knew I needed to switch pads for the same model of headphone. Lesson learned.

Recently, I went through an experience of upgrading my headphones from Atrium Cherry to Atrium Koa. However, I was disappointed with the sound quality when using the Universe and Auteur pads, and was even considering selling them. Before doing so, I decided to test them with the BE2 pads, and I was pleasantly surprised by the improvement in sound quality.

I am considering the possibility that the change in my audio equipment might have affected my preferences. Specifically, I replaced my Quicksilver amp with the Icon Audio HP8 MKII Signature. With the Quicksilver, I preferred the Auteur (Universe #2) pads, but with the HP8, I find that I require the BE2 pads in order to fully appreciate the Atrium.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #4,469 of 6,518
Speaking of pads, has anyone tried the Caldera Ultra Perforated pads with the Atrium? I imagine they'd make them brighter but I could be wrong.

Apr 21, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #4,470 of 6,518
Hello,
I ordered you when I was still clearing my Atrium Bocote.
They were recommended to me by Zach himself instead of the Be2.
Unfortunately I can't say anything because my Atrium is still in the making and I expect it to arrive in May at the earliest.

And then it still has to be tuned in, so it will be a while before I have a chance to try it.

Here's some of the stuff Zach wrote about the ultra perf, that's all he said but it's enough to convince me.

I think if you were to change one out it might be worth trying the Caldera Ultra Perf instead of the BE2 - I've found it gives a somewhat similar sound but with better staging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back