ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Apr 15, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #4,411 of 6,516
these often come up for sale on head-fi, and there is a builder on ebay who builds and sells them. May result in some premium, though used are rather affordable as far as I've seen. I'm not an owner myself
Quite a few pre-built on Etsy as well

Apr 15, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #4,412 of 6,516
Hey guys I have a Schiit Ragnorok yggy with a wa5 had anyone tried the atrium with either of these amps? I'm particularly wondering what 300b would be like with these headphones. Could it push the staging even more?

Apr 15, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #4,413 of 6,516
Is there a vacuum tube amplifier under $400 that fits well with atrium?
XDuoo TA-26 works well with ZMFs, at least with my VO. :upside_down:
It's in its stock config atm.

Apr 15, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #4,415 of 6,516
Apr 15, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #4,416 of 6,516
Hawaiian Koa.

Bocote is much darker.
Ah just thought so.
Should have just gone back a few pages to find out-. :hugging:
Thanks for the feedback though.:thumbsup:
Have fun with it. I'm sure the Koa will give you a great sound experience.:v:

I will have the pleasure of listening to it compared to the Bocote which I will receive in a few weeks.

Apr 15, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #4,417 of 6,516
20230405_125607.jpg

The headphones are too heavy.

Apr 15, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #4,418 of 6,516

The headphones are too heavy.
Holding it in your hand, yes. But put it on your head, no. It is very comfortable to wear.

Apr 15, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #4,419 of 6,516
Does everyone have such a big head that they set the rods so high?

I have an L size which is about 55 cm head circumference, probably standard head size.
And my rods are set relatively low.
I have it all the way down on the left and in the 2nd groove on the right.

I would now say that it seems so heavy because it is not adjusted correctly to the head.
And I would also say that you distribute the weight on the head if you set it lower, or as low as necessary, then the upper headband works for you.
That's also my impression when people complain about the Audeze headphones, 90% of the time I say it's set up wrong.

Because if it's set too high, the headband doesn't rest on the top of the head and there's a gap between them.
The result is that it slips down or you have the weight on the side which later goes on the neck.

That is my theory at least.
And the Zmf headband is actually really excellent, better than the Audeze which gets a bit hot on the head over time.
I have never had any problems with the Zmf headband since I got the Auteur, or anything else where I would say it bothers me.
On the contrary, it is a pleasure to put it on.

You don't have to set the rods at the same height either.
Just adjust one side to fit your ear and then adjust the other side to fit your ear, whether you start with the left or the right.
Ideally, you should work your way up from the bottom, then you will know if the setting is right or if you need to go up another notch or two to get it to enclose your ear.
Once you have done this, you will notice that the headphones feel very different in terms of comfort.

Just a tip that I wanted to give you.
Whether you try it is up to you.

Apr 15, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #4,420 of 6,516
Does everyone have such a big head that they set the rods so high?

I have an L size which is about 55 cm head circumference, probably standard head size.
And my rods are set relatively low.
I have it all the way down on the left and in the 2nd groove on the right.

I would now say that it seems so heavy because it is not adjusted correctly to the head.
And I would also say that you distribute the weight on the head if you set it lower, or as low as necessary, then the upper headband works for you.
That's also my impression when people complain about the Audeze headphones, 90% of the time I say it's set up wrong.

Because if it's set too high, the headband doesn't rest on the top of the head and there's a gap between them.
The result is that it slips down or you have the weight on the side which later goes on the neck.

That is my theory at least.
And the Zmf headband is actually really excellent, better than the Audeze which gets a bit hot on the head over time.
I have never had any problems with the Zmf headband since I got the Auteur, or anything else where I would say it bothers me.
On the contrary, it is a pleasure to put it on.

You don't have to set the rods at the same height either.
Just adjust one side to fit your ear and then adjust the other side to fit your ear, whether you start with the left or the right.
Ideally, you should work your way up from the bottom, then you will know if the setting is right or if you need to go up another notch or two to get it to enclose your ear.
Once you have done this, you will notice that the headphones feel very different in terms of comfort.

Just a tip that I wanted to give you.
Whether you try it is up to you.
I’m 3rd notch from the bottom, both sides on Auteur & Atrium. But I have Pilot & Co-Pilot pads, which take up some space.

Atrium is light as a feather compared to my Blackwood Auteur :)

Apr 15, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #4,421 of 6,516
Hey guys I have a Schiit Ragnorok yggy with a wa5 had anyone tried the atrium with either of these amps? I'm particularly wondering what 300b would be like with these headphones. Could it push the staging even more?
Hi, I use the Yggdrasil A2 with Ragnarok with my Atrium. I can only compare it with my Feliks Euforia AE. I think the Ragnarok is pretty good match with Atrium, if you want to pair it with a SS. Its very clean (using gain 1) with a good bass and dynamic, a lot of detail and speed. What is the best quality for me it does have a great soundstage with a precise imaging. But i mostly use my Euforia AE with a good tubes - much more natural and realistic sound, better layering - but its about SS/tubes, not the Ragnarok. I cant compare any other DAC as I only have the Yggdrasil, but I am happy!

Apr 15, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #4,422 of 6,516
one of the reason I have stopped pursuing harder woods is the weight.
I don't have a comfortable listening chair at the moment so weight is a major concern.
Once I have a good listening chair with proper head and neck support, I will go for it.

Apr 16, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #4,424 of 6,516
does anyone use/or has anyone from here heard of a feliks audio otl amplifier with zmf headphones? if so what do you think about the pairing and how much does it bring out the potential of the headphones?
Yes me.
It's going great with the auteur.
Unfortunately, I still have to wait a few weeks for the atrium to arrive.
In general, the Euforia is otherwise very good with Zmf headphones is a good pairing.
Only the tubes could be the sticking point in terms of price.
Since 6080,7236,5998 are becoming increasingly rare.
Especially the good tubes are getting harder to find.
Otherwise, the Euforia with adapters offers further possibilities and interesting combinations.

Apr 16, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #4,425 of 6,516
Yes me.
It's going great with the auteur.
Unfortunately, I still have to wait a few weeks for the atrium to arrive.
In general, the Euforia is otherwise very good with Zmf headphones is a good pairing.
Only the tubes could be the sticking point in terms of price.
Since 6080,7236,5998 are becoming increasingly rare.
Especially the good tubes are getting harder to find.
Otherwise, the Euforia with adapters offers further possibilities and interesting combinations.
which pillow gives the best sub bass punch, weight, body on the atrium? how would you describe the pairing of atrium and euphoria? can the atrium somehow achieve the impact and energies of the atrium closed sub bass, so that it retains the wider and deeper stage and 3D space due to its open design, or does this only exist in a dream?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back