ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Sep 6, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #2,806 of 6,246
Spent my night playing with the Atrium and Classic. Mostly the Atrium as I just can't get enough. Nothing new today, I want to save some of the stuff I am thinking about for my actual reviews, but to reiterate some of my big takeaways at this time for those reading this thread and on the fence about this headphone. Most are proud Atrium owners and are loving it as much as I am. This is less for you and more for those who are deciding whether or not they want to own an Atrium. But, this isn't a sales pitch. Just what I hear and why I think the headphone is a worthy member of any headphone stable.

Biggest Takeaways:
1. Image Specificity/Soundstage - The Atrium is an imaging beast and after 30 hrs of burn in and 30 hrs of active listening I have come to the opinion that the major upgrade in staging and Imaging comes from the new damping system that enables forward and back sounds to become more acute, separated and delineated. This is a truly remarkable trait of which the Classic sharing the same damping also does.
2. Speed - The headphone has very nice pacing. It isn't overtly fast, but is fast enough that it doesn't get tripped up with the most complicated of musical passages. It sounds natural and plays to the pace of the band.
3. Tone/Timbre - Always a strength of ZMF headphones. They always have fantastic tone. Instruments sound like what they are. There are no plastic or overdone tones. If you like Orchestral, Jazz, Piano, or Acoustic music they shine. I listen to mostly live bluegrass and psychedelic rock. They make for a perfect bedfellow. Especially with poly rhythmic drumming, mandolin, banjo, dobro, electric guitar, bass and hammond organ.
4. Aesthetics - ZMF has unrivaled aesthetics with their headphones. Different types of woods, chassis, pad rolling, cable choices and much to decide on when ordering your unique once in a lifetime ZMF. I personally think the Atrium is the most beautiful of the stable. I love the window pane grills, and the aged cherry with copper is to die for. Then you see the Cocobolo or any of the other types and they are all equally as beautiful. While wood type will change flavor a bit, my advice is to buy based on what you like to look at and you will be just fine. They are all tuned the same, so the sounds are all very similar. Not exact, but similar enough to ensure you buy a headphone that you absolutely love to look at and wear. They are heirlooms and a point of pride for much of the community.
5. Resolution - Resolution is good, but not TOTL in my opinion. I don't think it needs to be as the imaging and tonality more than make up for it. Plus, it isn't exactly lacking and I don't find that anything is missing in my music. It is more about the integrated whole with the Atrium.
6. Bass - ZMF has always tuned bass very well. However, I have never much cared for the signature midbass hump which makes the music sound a little warm and slower to my ears. However, the Auteur Classic, OG and Atrium are not tuned this way. They are more linear with a greater emphasis on sub bass. This headphone hits hard and fast with near perfect bass solidity. I can hear the pick of the bass string, and the reverb of the sound through to the end of the note. It doesn't bleed and stands completely on its own still integrated exactly in its space within the stage. I love the Atrium's bass, especially if the bass player is playing lead bass and moving the melody and pace of the song.

This isn't meant to be a sales post for ZMF. More my thoughts and opinions on why someone should think hard about this headphone. I am not paid to say this, nor have I been asked to write this. I am writing it because I want folks to know that owning an Atrium should be a point of pride, an heirloom with top tier sound and aesthetics. It is so worth the time to write about it. I can't get enough of listening to it. Especially out of my Icon Audio HP8. This combo has me completely in awe of two designers in ZMF and Icon Audio. They are a match to reckon with. I know there are many incredible matches out there. Please share yours as well as your thoughts on what are your biggest takeaways. Let's help those on the fence get off the fence and join the club...:)

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #2,807 of 6,246
I know lots of Atrium owners think they're already bassy enough, but for the bassheads (and PEQ accepting) out there, I made some adjustments based on measurements in superbestaudiofriends. They are now bass cannons!

The first filter is purely optional as I just like lots of bass. But according to the measurements, there is significant roll-off at around 50Hz and an even bigger one at 20Hz.
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...eadphone-review-and-measurements.12125/page-2

Filter 1: LS Fc 200 Hz Gain 3 dB Q .71
Filter 2: LS Fc 50 Hz Gain 6 dB Q 1
FIlter 3: LS Fc 20 Hz Gain 9 dB Q 1

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #2,808 of 6,246
Spent my night playing with the Atrium and Classic. Mostly the Atrium as I just can't get enough. Nothing new today, I want to save some of the stuff I am thinking about for my actual reviews, but to reiterate some of my big takeaways at this time for those reading this thread and on the fence about this headphone. Most are proud Atrium owners and are loving it as much as I am. This is less for you and more for those who are deciding whether or not they want to own an Atrium. But, this isn't a sales pitch. Just what I hear and why I think the headphone is a worthy member of any headphone stable.

Biggest Takeaways:
1. Image Specificity/Soundstage - The Atrium is an imaging beast and after 30 hrs of burn in and 30 hrs of active listening I have come to the opinion that the major upgrade in staging and Imaging comes from the new damping system that enables forward and back sounds to become more acute, separated and delineated. This is a truly remarkable trait of which the Classic sharing the same damping also does.
2. Speed - The headphone has very nice pacing. It isn't overtly fast, but is fast enough that it doesn't get tripped up with the most complicated of musical passages. It sounds natural and plays to the pace of the band.
3. Tone/Timbre - Always a strength of ZMF headphones. They always have fantastic tone. Instruments sound like what they are. There are no plastic or overdone tones. If you like Orchestral, Jazz, Piano, or Acoustic music they shine. I listen to mostly live bluegrass and psychedelic rock. They make for a perfect bedfellow. Especially with poly rhythmic drumming, mandolin, banjo, dobro, electric guitar, bass and hammond organ.
4. Aesthetics - ZMF has unrivaled aesthetics with their headphones. Different types of woods, chassis, pad rolling, cable choices and much to decide on when ordering your unique once in a lifetime ZMF. I personally think the Atrium is the most beautiful of the stable. I love the window pane grills, and the aged cherry with copper is to die for. Then you see the Cocobolo or any of the other types and they are all equally as beautiful. While wood type will change flavor a bit, my advice is to buy based on what you like to look at and you will be just fine. They are all tuned the same, so the sounds are all very similar. Not exact, but similar enough to ensure you buy a headphone that you absolutely love to look at and wear. They are heirlooms and a point of pride for much of the community.
5. Resolution - Resolution is good, but not TOTL in my opinion. I don't think it needs to be as the imaging and tonality more than make up for it. Plus, it isn't exactly lacking and I don't find that anything is missing in my music. It is more about the integrated whole with the Atrium.
6. Bass - ZMF has always tuned bass very well. However, I have never much cared for the signature midbass hump which makes the music sound a little warm and slower to my ears. However, the Auteur Classic, OG and Atrium are not tuned this way. They are more linear with a greater emphasis on sub bass. This headphone hits hard and fast with near perfect bass solidity. I can hear the pick of the bass string, and the reverb of the sound through to the end of the note. It doesn't bleed and stands completely on its own still integrated exactly in its space within the stage. I love the Atrium's bass, especially if the bass player is playing lead bass and moving the melody and pace of the song.

This isn't meant to be a sales post for ZMF. More my thoughts and opinions on why someone should think hard about this headphone. I am not paid to say this, nor have I been asked to write this. I am writing it because I want folks to know that owning an Atrium should be a point of pride, an heirloom with top tier sound and aesthetics. It is so worth the time to write about it. I can't get enough of listening to it. Especially out of my Icon Audio HP8. This combo has me completely in awe of two designers in ZMF and Icon Audio. They are a match to reckon with. I know there are many incredible matches out there. Please share yours as well as your thoughts on what are your biggest takeaways. Let's help those on the fence get off the fence and join the club...:)
Excellent review and I find everything that you said to be spot on. I love how the Atrium doesn't have any party tricks that makes you say wow but because of the tone and timbre of the headphone it is appreciated more over time. It's like the more I listen the more I fall in love with the Atrium. To me headphones that have an emphasis on a certain frequencies woe me at first but eventually the wow factor fizzles out and it almost becomes a negative aspect of the headphone. With the Atrium the sound is so uniformed and together in a way that everything just goes together in such a pleasing way. Sometimes after listening to my VC my ears need to adjust when I put the Atrium on because it isn't as initially exciting as the VC but after a few minutes of listening my ears adjust and I get completely lost in the musicality of the Atrium. I truly believe the Atrium is a headphone that gets better the more I listen! To me that is the ultimate compliment I could give a headphone!

Sep 6, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #2,809 of 6,246
Excellent review and I find everything that you said to be spot on. I love how the Atrium doesn't have any party tricks that makes you say wow but because of the tone and timbre of the headphone it is appreciated more over time. It's like the more I listen the more I fall in love with the Atrium. To me headphones that have an emphasis on a certain frequencies woe me at first but eventually the wow factor fizzles out and it almost becomes a negative aspect of the headphone. With the Atrium the sound is so uniformed and together in a way that everything just goes together in such a pleasing way. Sometimes after listening to my VC my ears need to adjust when I put the Atrium on because it isn't as initially exciting as the VC but after a few minutes of listening my ears adjust and I get completely lost in the musicality of the Atrium. I truly believe the Atrium is a headphone that gets better the more I listen! To me that is the ultimate compliment I could give a headphone!
Thank you! This is very well stated and so true. The VC is more dynamic, fast and resolving. Different drivers that aid in those qualities. But, the Atrium is hardly lacking, just different.

Sep 6, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #2,810 of 6,246
I know lots of Atrium owners think they're already bassy enough, but for the bassheads (and PEQ accepting) out there, I made some adjustments based on measurements in superbestaudiofriends. They are now bass cannons!

The first filter is purely optional as I just like lots of bass. But according to the measurements, there is significant roll-off at around 50Hz and an even bigger one at 20Hz.
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...eadphone-review-and-measurements.12125/page-2

Filter 1: LS Fc 200 Hz Gain 3 dB Q .71
Filter 2: LS Fc 50 Hz Gain 6 dB Q 1
FIlter 3: LS Fc 20 Hz Gain 9 dB Q 1
Something to keep in mind is that low end extension depends very much on seal. For me at least, the headband shape out of box is a bit light on clamp. I added a bit of clamp to the headband and found the bass extension to improve dramatically (I’ve had to do this on all the ZMFs I’ve tried)

Sep 6, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #2,811 of 6,246
Thank you! This is very well stated and so true. The VC is more dynamic, fast and resolving. Different drivers that aid in those qualities. But, the Atrium is hardly lacking, just different.
I completely agree. My Atrium gets more head time than my VC. I love how much weight the notes have combined with the timbre of the Atrium. To me the Atrium is better for long listening sessions.

Sep 6, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #2,812 of 6,246
I completely agree. My Atrium gets more head time than my VC. I love how much weight the notes have combined with the timbre of the Atrium. To me the Atrium is better for long listening sessions.
I agree with that too, I find the Atrium to be much less fatiguing. It's honestly the least fatiguing high end headphone I've ever used. The only thing I miss from the VC is a bit of resolution on the top end, and the VCs staging can be enjoyable in a different way, but otherwise I like the sound of the atrium better across the board.

Sep 6, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #2,813 of 6,246
Starting to A/B the Atrium's against my 1-2 combo. I have mostly just been comparing them to the OG and Classic so I could figure out what they are doing. My 1-2 is the LCD-4z and Radiante 1706. Very different headphones from each other and both are extremely resolving and musical. The Radiante is an absolute wonder to my ears. The Atrium is so different. Both are about the same price but oh so different in presentation and philosophy. I think it is going to make for some great listening and interesting writing. More to follow... Both are running off my Spring 1 and HP8. They both sound great on either amp. The Radiante has a slight affinity for the Spring 1 while the Atrium has a slight affinity for the HP8. However, I could live with listening to either through both amps forever happy knowing I have serious first world problems to deal with. :). I hope this finds everyone in Atrium land well this fine evening. Record heat in Utah. 102 degrees today. Loving the comfort of my office...

Sep 7, 2022 at 7:02 AM Post #2,814 of 6,246
I agree with that too, I find the Atrium to be much less fatiguing. It's honestly the least fatiguing high end headphone I've ever used. The only thing I miss from the VC is a bit of resolution on the top end, and the VCs staging can be enjoyable in a different way, but otherwise I like the sound of the atrium better across the board.
I actually agree with you on that. I do like a lil sparkle in the highs! That is one thing that I really enjoy about the VC. The Atrium does have some sparkle but it shows up more when listening to genres like jazz.

Sep 7, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #2,815 of 6,246
I actually agree with you on that. I do like a lil sparkle in the highs! That is one thing that I really enjoy about the VC. The Atrium does have some sparkle but it shows up more when listening to genres like jazz.
I was craving more sparkle up top so I took off the mesh filter and run BE2 lambskin pads, and now the treble sounds great. Amp synergy is big for this as well. I was running a Kenzie amp which is smooth and warm sounding, which was too similar to the Atrium's tuning. Together it was just too smooth and dark. Switching to an MZ2 really woke the Atrium up, as it's much more neutral overall with better treble extension.

Sep 7, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #2,816 of 6,246
I was craving more sparkle up top so I took off the mesh filter and run BE2 lambskin pads, and now the treble sounds great. Amp synergy is big for this as well. I was running a Kenzie amp which is smooth and warm sounding, which was too similar to the Atrium's tuning. Together it was just too smooth and dark. Switching to an MZ2 really woke the Atrium up, as it's much more neutral overall with better treble extension.
Did removing the mesh change the rest of the frequency response or did it just open up the treble?

Sep 7, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #2,817 of 6,246
So you have no mesh filter?

Sep 7, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #2,818 of 6,246
Did removing the mesh change the rest of the frequency response or did it just open up the treble?
I didn't notice much difference in the bass and lower mids. I'd say upper mids to treble gained more presence, which is exactly what I was looking for. I found them a touch too dark with the mesh. Not Atticus dark, but darker than I was expecting/wanting. No mesh is pretty much on point.

Sep 7, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #2,820 of 6,246
I’m going to try that as well. I was listening to my HE1000s today after a few weeks with only the Atrium and that did make me realize how dark the Atriums are by comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back