ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Sep 1, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #2,776 of 6,516
Sep 2, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #2,777 of 6,516
I am getting a serious dose of Atrium awesomeness tonight. I turned up the volume on my Comet+ to 100 as a fixed DAC. I usually keep it right around 90. My HP8 and Atrium are sounding sensational. Big shocker, I know!

Dynamics increased, resolution has increased, bottom end solidity is better with a more fluid integration into the midrange. The Atrium's tone is wonderful. Imaging, oh this headphone images so well. I am listening to a live show. Guitar player is dead center, keyboard player in the right channel, bass in the left channel and both drummers are sitting right behind the guitarist and keyboardist. I can hear each instrument in its own space on stage and the presentation is pinpoint accurate. I love feeling like the drummers are literally taking up the space in the back of my head. How cool is that? I tend to avoid words like 3-D. I am not sure I can accurately express what that means or how it sounds. I actually hate 3-D movies. However, I can hear exactly where the band is situated and there is a ton of room for each musician to breath. This gives all the space between the notes life. I am hearing the band exactly as they should sound. There is no better compliment I can give this headphone.

It is exactly as I have been hearing the Atrium for the past 2 weeks, just better. I love this hobby. I love to tweak, learn and see how those changes affect the overall presentation and experience. I learned tonight that my DAC sounds better at 100 instead of 90 and that makes everything else sound better. Good stuff!

Sep 2, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #2,778 of 6,516
Senator, I can neither confirm nor deny that accusation.

Actually. I can confirm.
It sounds like you forgot to exhale!

Sep 2, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #2,779 of 6,516
Mainline and ZMF works well. I have VC and VO and both pair well with Mainline. I haven't heard Atrium but i dont see any reason that you wont like it out of Mainline.

Sep 2, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #2,780 of 6,516
I am getting a serious dose of Atrium awesomeness tonight. I turned up the volume on my Comet+ to 100 as a fixed DAC. I usually keep it right around 90. My HP8 and Atrium are sounding sensational. Big shocker, I know!

Dynamics increased, resolution has increased, bottom end solidity is better with a more fluid integration into the midrange. The Atrium's tone is wonderful. Imaging, oh this headphone images so well. I am listening to a live show. Guitar player is dead center, keyboard player in the right channel, bass in the left channel and both drummers are sitting right behind the guitarist and keyboardist. I can hear each instrument in its own space on stage and the presentation is pinpoint accurate. I love feeling like the drummers are literally taking up the space in the back of my head. How cool is that? I tend to avoid words like 3-D. I am not sure I can accurately express what that means or how it sounds. I actually hate 3-D movies. However, I can hear exactly where the band is situated and there is a ton of room for each musician to breath. This gives all the space between the notes life. I am hearing the band exactly as they should sound. There is no better compliment I can give this headphone.

It is exactly as I have been hearing the Atrium for the past 2 weeks, just better. I love this hobby. I love to tweak, learn and see how those changes affect the overall presentation and experience. I learned tonight that my DAC sounds better at 100 instead of 90 and that makes everything else sound better. Good stuff!
It's one of those days for you when everything falls in place and we all chase such days

Sep 2, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #2,781 of 6,516
Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to hear the atrium yet, perhaps at canjam this month I will.

I CAN confirm that the other ZMF headphones i've heard (Auteur, Aeolus, Eikon, Atticus) all pair very, very well with both the mainline and the crackatwoa. My preference was actually the crackatwoa for the auteur; I preferred the extra warmth and slam of the c2a over the better clarity and separation of the mainline.
I went crackatwoa. I’m thinking the character of the Atrium and the warmth/slam/bite of the C2a are going to underline the strengths of the Atrium. Can’t wait!!

When I put the Atrium into my COS H1 vs the BHC it’s not even close - missing out on that “whipping bass” is too big of a loss.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #2,782 of 6,516
It's one of those days for you when everything falls in place and we all chase such days
How often do you have those days?

Sep 3, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #2,783 of 6,516
Has anyone tried the Be2 Hybrid? I really enjoy the Be2 suede and I'm curious if the hybrid would keep the same characteristics as suede and have a little more of an open sound?

Sep 3, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #2,785 of 6,516
Has anyone tried the Be2 Hybrid? I really enjoy the Be2 suede and I'm curious if the hybrid would keep the same characteristics as suede and have a little more of an open sound?
The Be2 Hybrid's were my least favorite pad of the 9 pads I compared. For whatever reason it did not fall in line with the other hybrid pads I'd used before. The very large bass boost wasn't my cup of tea, but some might like it.

Sep 3, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #2,786 of 6,516
The Be2 Hybrid's were my least favorite pad of the 9 pads I compared. For whatever reason it did not fall in line with the other hybrid pads I'd used before. The very large bass boost wasn't my cup of tea, but some might like it.
Did you like Be2 suede?

Sep 3, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #2,787 of 6,516
What do people think would be the best supplement to the complement to the Atrium between the VO and VC?
I have VC and Atrium. The VC being closed back doesn't even register to me. I just flat out love the sound of it. Being closed is nice to have in certain situations. I can listen to open backs whenever and it doesn't bother anyone but I still love the VC.

Sep 3, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #2,788 of 6,516
Sep 3, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #2,789 of 6,516
I'm running the hybrid Be2 now, and they're my personal favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back