ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Aug 23, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #2,611 of 6,244
Hey all! Long time lurker... in fact today was the day I discovered I created a Head Fi account 7 years ago but never used it...

Anyways, just received my cocobolo Atrium today! Really wanted to share it because its beautiful and I don't have enough audiophile friends to share it with... then also because there has been some discussion regarding colors. I have some indoor shots and also a sunlight shot to show the color. I think the shot with it on the stand with my blackwood Verite probably reflects the color I generally see more accurately.

I did see Zach mention that they do read the comments box when ordering, so I put in a request for bright red wood, and lo and behold, a nice red color that almost looks orange in sunlight! I was actually a bit surprised there were none of the black lines or swirls that you see in all the promo pics or other samples but I was also surprised by some of the sets that people have posted here. Anyways I can't complain, they did follow what I requested and couldn't be happier with how it turned out! So if anyone needed 3rd party confirmation that they read the comments box, I've got one example :wink:

I still need more listening time, but all you people talking about the bass... you all weren't kidding. I'm one of those people who often felt open backs lacked bass, but not here at all. Also I was worried it would be very similar to my Verite in sound, but definitely don't think it is. Its night and day different.

Good luck for anyone else waiting for an Atrium, hope it turns out favorably!

AL9nZEVPt7NLpd4pR6Fo1NPtXR8latphTAGWMHkXeuN0eYHGfmWtdcQ5BsUMHjYJag8K60u0RUDVgGpokBmpaM-1AxMtoaLyS6x1VIDrzjVQVA_SVI2D_SBr5tYQYiviqGaOhiorj5poEm26Ns-wmlVP_tCleQ=w1084-h1444-no
AL9nZEUk-L2tru1m0PSDUYN2PRcAZsXMQyRubkehBh83hUkRdYWgxVqcHfpsmDkoMVARWVRt6o4gIOWwWT2a8YEfe_WbRok9pZLZxRiMrgy2IZVCoF5rJJ3Icg17Z5Th1jyVYOeIEf7XZBqSY5WZlo-87LR_3w=w1084-h1444-no
AL9nZEUaipzCw8wN6zH5TbxV3pXYcRxitgOSgRlOTs2v9jrvNM3PIkpzEmJM5h2nmFImuBwmygT2p7PnoIornZiJcZ6wwW5YwYhM8DSNQV1QZMFUrTf3m-qrTvq0UJ5NBy3pQAaBB0llIMMy4xc073AK1PCdsg=w1925-h1444-no
6b4cdff8-4194-48f7-a586-089139f06b00_text.gif

Aug 23, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #2,613 of 6,244
Cocobolo is a small growing tree with dominant sap wood. Sap wood is the lighter part of the wood. It's impossible for us to properly explain all the possible variances of every species of wood we offer, so we have to leave it to our future owners of our non-custom LTD and/or pictured stabilized and otherwise releases to do research on what the possibilities of each species may be, and then to communicate with us before the build if they need something specific.

We build every set one by one and feel like we make great choices to accommodate the listed options we do have, but I do think before ordering future owners need to ask themself if they are typically pleasantly satisfied by the surprises of life, or more bewildered and questioning of the surprises of life. If you're in the latter category, definitely wait for something you can see before buying, or buy on the used market.

We really appreciate your communication!
I have a suggestion if I may: maybe the thing to do is to setup the specific product pages with a "Get To Know Your Wood" section that describes the wood species in detail just like you did here so people have an idea of just how much variability they might be in store for. Honestly I would tie it into a terms and conditions check box so people have to read it before they can add to cart.

We are so used to the convenience of mass produced products and easy 1-click buying I think maybe it just doesn't properly register for some of us that we have to come with a completely different set of expectations when working with exotic solid woods.

edit: Just to clarify, I know there's an entire section on the ZMF website that gives info on wood, but integrating it with the specific product pages would make sure that people see it and it really seems like it's information people need to absorb to make an informed choice.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #2,614 of 6,244
I have a suggestion if I may: maybe the thing to do is to setup the product page with a "Get To Know Your Wood" section that describes the wood species in detail just like you did here so people have an idea of just how much variability they might be in store for. Honestly I would tie it into a terms and conditions check box so people have to read it before they can add to cart.

We are so used to the convenience of mass produced products and easy 1-click buying I think maybe it just doesn't properly register for some of us that we have to come with a completely different set of expectations when working with exotic solid woods.
Great idea under normal buying conditions, but come Ltd and stabilized release days, it will just be in the way of folks trying to hit the buy button as fast as possible

Aug 23, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #2,615 of 6,244
I have a suggestion if I may: maybe the thing to do is to setup the product page with a "Get To Know Your Wood" section that describes the wood species in detail just like you did here so people have an idea of just how much variability they might be in store for. Honestly I would tie it into a terms and conditions check box so people have to read it before they can add to cart.

I like this idea! I was pretty prepared for variability in the current batch of cocobolo sets, but I am still pretty surprised by some of the samples I have seen. All very beautiful still IMO, but everyone has their own preferences.

Aug 23, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #2,616 of 6,244
The early bird really does catch the worm
Well...not always. Got mine shipped after some people who ordered theirs the next day but as ZMF explained, orders are processed in batch so this is understandable. I'd like to make believe that the extra time is used for extra care :wink:. What's another day or two of waiting considering this is a lot faster compared to those VO waiting time back then.

Aug 23, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #2,617 of 6,244
LTD Atrium Cocobolo is here! 😄🥲:
987F2D90-5BED-44DC-B71E-5B8E65F4224C.jpeg
85ACEFBD-11BB-4332-85BF-D395DC009867.jpeg
AEE2EA35-FD73-4502-AF3F-C607C31106FF.jpeg
[The LTA MZ3 is warming up…]

Aug 23, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #2,618 of 6,244
13799C25-4587-487E-A55F-0EECB8256D90.jpeg

Aug 23, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #2,619 of 6,244
Hey all! Long time lurker... in fact today was the day I discovered I created a Head Fi account 7 years ago but never used it...

Anyways, just received my cocobolo Atrium today! Really wanted to share it because its beautiful and I don't have enough audiophile friends to share it with... then also because there has been some discussion regarding colors. I have some indoor shots and also a sunlight shot to show the color. I think the shot with it on the stand with my blackwood Verite probably reflects the color I generally see more accurately.

I did see Zach mention that they do read the comments box when ordering, so I put in a request for bright red wood, and lo and behold, a nice red color that almost looks orange in sunlight! I was actually a bit surprised there were none of the black lines or swirls that you see in all the promo pics or other samples but I was also surprised by some of the sets that people have posted here. Anyways I can't complain, they did follow what I requested and couldn't be happier with how it turned out! So if anyone needed 3rd party confirmation that they read the comments box, I've got one example :wink:

I still need more listening time, but all you people talking about the bass... you all weren't kidding. I'm one of those people who often felt open backs lacked bass, but not here at all. Also I was worried it would be very similar to my Verite in sound, but definitely don't think it is. Its night and day different.

AL9nZEVPt7NLpd4pR6Fo1NPtXR8latphTAGWMHkXeuN0eYHGfmWtdcQ5BsUMHjYJag8K60u0RUDVgGpokBmpaM-1AxMtoaLyS6x1VIDrzjVQVA_SVI2D_SBr5tYQYiviqGaOhiorj5poEm26Ns-wmlVP_tCleQ=w1084-h1444-no
AL9nZEUk-L2tru1m0PSDUYN2PRcAZsXMQyRubkehBh83hUkRdYWgxVqcHfpsmDkoMVARWVRt6o4gIOWwWT2a8YEfe_WbRok9pZLZxRiMrgy2IZVCoF5rJJ3Icg17Z5Th1jyVYOeIEf7XZBqSY5WZlo-87LR_3w=w1084-h1444-no
AL9nZEUaipzCw8wN6zH5TbxV3pXYcRxitgOSgRlOTs2v9jrvNM3PIkpzEmJM5h2nmFImuBwmygT2p7PnoIornZiJcZ6wwW5YwYhM8DSNQV1QZMFUrTf3m-qrTvq0UJ5NBy3pQAaBB0llIMMy4xc073AK1PCdsg=w1925-h1444-no
Beautiful! And welcome back!! 😊

Aug 23, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #2,620 of 6,244
LTD Atrium Cocobolo is here! 😄🥲:987F2D90-5BED-44DC-B71E-5B8E65F4224C.jpeg85ACEFBD-11BB-4332-85BF-D395DC009867.jpegAEE2EA35-FD73-4502-AF3F-C607C31106FF.jpeg [The LTA MZ3 is warming up…]

beautiful!
my local dealer is getting a shipment of Cocobolo atriums. one with aged copper and the other with brass. is yours with aged copper? I hope the units they receive have as nice a wood as yours!

Aug 23, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #2,621 of 6,244
beautiful!
my local dealer is getting a shipment of Cocobolo atriums. one with aged copper and the other with brass. is yours with aged copper? I hope the units they receive have as nice a wood as yours!
Aged copper ☑️

Aug 23, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #2,622 of 6,244

Gorgeous! Both sets... Good times ahead!

Aug 23, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #2,623 of 6,244
Aug 23, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #2,624 of 6,244
Hey all... I took a day off of listening after the best weekend of headphone listening in as long as I can remember. I think I spent a total of 15 hrs listening over the weekend. I decided to let them burn in for another 24 hrs and came back to the Atrium's today. I was curious how they would sound at the 50 hr mark. Wonderful! Shocking I know! Amazing to see all the absolutely fabulous Cocobolo sets hitting the heads of excited Head-Fi Members. This is a really fun thread to read and contribute to.

Tonight I have moved from my Icon HP8 over to my fabulous and irreplaceable Cembalo Labs Spring 1. I bought this amp for Planars, but it is equally adept at handling high impedance headphones. The Atrium sounds lively, and dynamic with the same pinpoint imaging. The Spring 1 is my all time favorite amp and combined with the Atrium it is a fabulous combination. The Atrium is amplifier agnostic in my system. They sound incredible on both amps. The Spring 1 pushes a ton of current, so I have turned down the Comet's internal volume a smidge. I have also started to use my Audio Sensibility Silver Statement Cable that I primarily use with my LCD-4z with the Atrium. Loving it! Fortunately both of my 4z cables work with ZMF, so I have 4 different cables to play with. Differences are subtle, but my chain and the Atrium are resolving enough to hear the different flavors. It isn't really a difference in sound quality as much as sound flavor. I am getting amazing sound with the stock cable, as well as the OFC that come stock with the Atrium.

I will end up moving back to the HP8, but not because the Atrium becomes listless on a SS amp. Just the opposite. Because they sound amazing on both.

I have sent a few Goose videos to this thread over the past few days. Goose has gone from bars to playing Red Rocks in a few short months. They have done this through professional polished playing and making their live performances available at incredible quality for free. This is from 2 days ago at the Greek in Los Angeles. If you don't enjoy this type of music, disregard...

Aug 24, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #2,625 of 6,244
Hey all... I took a day off of listening after the best weekend of headphone listening in as long as I can remember. I think I spent a total of 15 hrs listening over the weekend. I decided to let them burn in for another 24 hrs and came back to the Atrium's today. I was curious how they would sound at the 50 hr mark. Wonderful! Shocking I know! Amazing to see all the absolutely fabulous Cocobolo sets hitting the heads of excited Head-Fi Members. This is a really fun thread to read and contribute to.

Tonight I have moved from my Icon HP8 over to my fabulous and irreplaceable Cembalo Labs Spring 1. I bought this amp for Planars, but it is equally adept at handling high impedance headphones. The Atrium sounds lively, and dynamic with the same pinpoint imaging. The Spring 1 is my all time favorite amp and combined with the Atrium it is a fabulous combination. The Atrium is amplifier agnostic in my system. They sound incredible on both amps. The Spring 1 pushes a ton of current, so I have turned down the Comet's internal volume a smidge. I have also started to use my Audio Sensibility Silver Statement Cable that I primarily use with my LCD-4z with the Atrium. Loving it! Fortunately both of my 4z cables work with ZMF, so I have 4 different cables to play with. Differences are subtle, but my chain and the Atrium are resolving enough to hear the different flavors. It isn't really a difference in sound quality as much as sound flavor. I am getting amazing sound with the stock cable, as well as the OFC that come stock with the Atrium.

I will end up moving back to the HP8, but not because the Atrium becomes listless on a SS amp. Just the opposite. Because they sound amazing on both.

I have sent a few Goose videos to this thread over the past few days. Goose has gone from bars to playing Red Rocks in a few short months. They have done this through professional polished playing and making their live performances available at incredible quality for free. This is from 2 days ago at the Greek in Los Angeles. If you don't enjoy this type of music, disregard...

Just re-read. Way too many flowery adjectives. Oy Vey! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back