ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Aug 11, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #2,326 of 6,266
I've been working on my review of the Atrium over the last few weeks. I am excited to say that my experience and thoughts are now out on my YT Channel. However, I definitely have more to do with the Atriums as you will see in the video too.
For starters, I only have a Jotunheim 2 and Go Bar for amp options currently. I just got the BHC and I will be building that over the next couple of weeks. I've been recommended to try the BHC with ZMF, so I cannot wait to do that! I may also be able to get a Feliks Echo 2 in on loan to try on the Atrium.
So, for now, please jump in if you care to do so and check out my latest video.

ZMF has some special sauce going with their gear. That special sauce is some good ole fashioned love and care into their products. I wish I would have waited a bit longer for the new color options but I still can't be disappointed with the Aged Copper. It is, after all, a gorgeous headphone!

Great review! It's always interesting to hear other ppl's takes on headphones that I enjoy. I really feel like the bass issue you had has to do with what amp you are pairing it with. I use the Atrium on my WA22 tube amp and the bass really thumps. I also found that the Be2 suede pads produce more bass and slam. I've always been a fan of the lambskin Universe and Auteur until I tried the suede Be2. I would be interested to hear what you have to say after you build the bottle head Crack. In my experience ZMF cans on tubes are just better. I would suggest pad rolling again once you get it built because tubes present the music in a different way and each pad would have different characteristics which might go better with tubes compared to solid state. The tube hype with ZMF cans is real. Other than the bass it sounds like your experience with the Atrium is very similar to mine. The highs are great to me because they aren't bright to where they would cause sibilance but they aren't so dark or recessed to the point where they take a backseat to the bass or mids. You couldn't be more right about the mids. The mids are what make the Atrium special imo. The mids are so inviting and just suck you into the emotional aspect of the music. Also vocals do the same. The vocals sound as if the singer is singing to you and not hiding behind all the other frequencies. Like I said before I would recommend pad rolling and don't give up on a certain pad. In my experience I have not been crazy about a certain pad and then went back to it a while later and ended up loving it! Maybe check out some suede pads because they do present a different sound that lambskin and it may be something you end up liking. I haven't tried the hybrid on the Atrium but I have seen several ppl say they don't prefer it. I have tried the hybrid on my VC and it wasn't for me personally. Anyways once a again thx for the great review and happy listening!

Aug 11, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #2,327 of 6,266
Great review! It's always interesting to hear other ppl's takes on headphones that I enjoy. I really feel like the bass issue you had has to do with what amp you are pairing it with. I use the Atrium on my WA22 tube amp and the bass really thumps. I also found that the Be2 suede pads produce more bass and slam. I've always been a fan of the lambskin Universe and Auteur until I tried the suede Be2. I would be interested to hear what you have to say after you build the bottle head Crack. In my experience ZMF cans on tubes are just better. I would suggest pad rolling again once you get it built because tubes present the music in a different way and each pad would have different characteristics which might go better with tubes compared to solid state. The tube hype with ZMF cans is real. Other than the bass it sounds like your experience with the Atrium is very similar to mine. The highs are great to me because they aren't bright to where they would cause sibilance but they aren't so dark or recessed to the point where they take a backseat to the bass or mids. You couldn't be more right about the mids. The mids are what make the Atrium special imo. The mids are so inviting and just suck you into the emotional aspect of the music. Also vocals do the same. The vocals sound as if the singer is singing to you and not hiding behind all the other frequencies. Like I said before I would recommend pad rolling and don't give up on a certain pad. In my experience I have not been crazy about a certain pad and then went back to it a while later and ended up loving it! Maybe check out some suede pads because they do present a different sound that lambskin and it may be something you end up liking. I haven't tried the hybrid on the Atrium but I have seen several ppl say they don't prefer it. I have tried the hybrid on my VC and it wasn't for me personally. Anyways once a again thx for the great review and happy listening!
Thank you for that!
I do have a set of suede pads that came with the Auteur Classic that I will be doing a review on. I believe they are the Eikon suede but they will still work. I agree, I do think I will find more of that bass lower end as my journey continues with these. It's interesting because on many headphones I've been of the mindset that amps/dacs aren't really going to change things that much. However, those were much lower impedances and I do believe there is much more to that. I mean take the HD800S or the other Sennheiser with higher impedance. It can and will make a difference on tubes or other amps.

I'll be sure to continue to update everyone on the experience moving forward.

Aug 11, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #2,329 of 6,266
I ordered my Cocobolo Atrium's on the 18th, and on the 19th I got the email saying that my wood had been selected and machining would start soon...
Looks like my Cocobolo Atrium's have shipped and should be arriving this weekend!
Clearly pays off to jump in at the front of the line!

I ordered on the 19th, and got the 'Machining' msg on 25th. 'Assembly, then QC' message yesterday, so still at least a couple, three weeks away.

Guessing I'll get my Auteur back first.

Aug 11, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #2,330 of 6,266
Clearly pays off to jump in at the front of the line!

I ordered on the 19th, and got the 'Machining' msg on 25th. 'Assembly, then QC' message yesterday, so still at least a couple, three weeks away.

I received my "assembly" email yesterday as well, and today I got the email with the tracking number. I'm guessing they do things in batches so you could be closer than you think.

Aug 11, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #2,331 of 6,266
Looks like my Cocobolo Atrium's have shipped and should be arriving this weekend!
I see you have a wa22! I love my VC and Atrium on the wa22. Imo they have great synergy just like with the VC.

Aug 11, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #2,332 of 6,266
I got the assembly email yesterday as well! Here's to getting that shipped email soon.

Aug 11, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #2,333 of 6,266
I see you have a wa22! I love my VC and Atrium on the wa22. Imo they have great synergy just like with the VC.
Yeah, the VC and WA22 have become my favorite combo. The Aeolus still gets about 25% of the time, and probably even less when the Atrium arrives. And next January I'll be getting my custom Odyssey built from UltraSonic Studios. It'll be difficult to pick which amp and headphones to listen to!

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #2,334 of 6,266
Yeah, the VC and WA22 have become my favorite combo. The Aeolus still gets about 25% of the time, and probably even less when the Atrium arrives.
I'm the same. I sold my Soloist GT to fund the Atrium because I listened to my wa22 so much. I absolutely fell in love with the Atrium/wa22 combo from the first listen. It's a serious toss up between the Atrium and VC. Really tough to choose a favorite. They do things very differently imo especially in the mids and treble. Those mids on the Atrium 🤤

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #2,335 of 6,266
Yeah, the VC and WA22 have become my favorite combo. The Aeolus still gets about 25% of the time, and probably even less when the Atrium arrives. And next January I'll be getting my custom Odyssey built from UltraSonic Studios. It'll be difficult to pick which amp and headphones to listen to!
An enviable problem to have!

Aug 11, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #2,336 of 6,266

I expect this thread will be filles with some new pictures by Monday :wink:

Aug 11, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #2,338 of 6,266
Aug 11, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #2,339 of 6,266
Just paid second invoice for Auteur upgrade, so expect to receive them late next week ... I hope!

Aug 12, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #2,340 of 6,266
Actually I am very happy with VO and X9000. For the next step I am torn between Atrium and Meze Elite. Which one would complement VO and X9000 better? Amps are Niimbus US 4+ and Euforia. Thanks for your hints and advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back