ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Aug 10, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #2,311 of 6,283
Aug 10, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #2,312 of 6,283
I think I'm sold on the suede Be2 for my Atrium. I really like the Universe lambskin but the Be2 is just better sounding for what I like. I was surprised by this because the VC is much better with lambskin imo. Preferably the Autuer Lambskin. The suede Be2 seems to have better bass, more dynamic, mids and vocals are more forward, and there is just more emotion in my music. Drum hits seem more dynamic and electric guitars are alive with really nice energy. The Be2 is more intimate sounding than the Universe lambskin, 3d effect isn't as prevalent but still there, and they are more aggressive sounding. As for comfort i feel like the Universe lambskin is more comfortable but the Be2 is still very comfortable to me. I still have to try the Autuer Lambskin next to compare. I have listened to them for a bit but not very much. Right now I am very satisfied with the Be2 to say the least. I was skeptical before putting them on because on my VC I preferred lambskin by far. It seems as if the VC and Atrium don't respond the same to pad rolling.

Aug 10, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #2,313 of 6,283
My experience was opposite. I loved the Universe lambskin out of the gate, and chose the BE2 hybrid as a second pad to contrast. I found that the latter resulted in a loss in bass texture and was too thin sounding. The magical Atrium decay for me seats solidly with the Universe. I guess that's where each of our brains and ears are tuned differently... :)

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #2,314 of 6,283
My experience was opposite. I loved the Universe lambskin out of the gate, and chose the BE2 hybrid as a second pad to contrast. I found that the latter resulted in a lose in bass texture and was to thin sounding. The magical Atrium decay for me seats solidly with the Universe. I guess that's where each of our brains and eats are tuned differently... :)
Initially I preferred the Universe over the Be2. I actually put the Be2 on and didn't like it at first and then swapped back to Universe. A couple of weeks later I was talking to someone who was saying how good blues guitar sounded with the Be2 pad so I tried again and left them on for a while. I don't know if I had a bit of brain burn in or what but now I really enjoy them. I have since swapped back to Universe and then back to Be2 and I like the Be2 more now. It could have something to do with what equipment we are using in our chain too. Like you said we also all hear and process sound differently too. Just curious but what pads do you prefer with your VC?

Aug 10, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #2,315 of 6,283
My experience was opposite. I loved the Universe lambskin out of the gate, and chose the BE2 hybrid as a second pad to contrast. I found that the latter resulted in a lose in bass texture and was to thin sounding. The magical Atrium decay for me seats solidly with the Universe. I guess that's where each of our brains and eats are tuned differently... :)
Initially I preferred the Universe over the Be2. I actually put the Be2 on and didn't like it at first and then swapped back to Universe. A couple of weeks later I was talking to someone who was saying how good blues guitar sounded with the Be2 pad so I tried again and left them on for a while. I don't know if I had a bit of brain burn in or what but now I really enjoy them. I have since swapped back to Universe and then back to Be2 and I like the Be2 more now. It could have something to do with what equipment we are using in our chain too. Like you said we also all hear and process sound differently too. Just curious but what pads do you prefer with your VC?
Pads, pads, pads.

I got my loaner w/ Auteur, Universe & Be2 pads. And I didn't like the Be2 pads nearly as much as the other 2, but I have to admit I didn't listen to them again after the initial comparison. Now y'all have me wondering if I missed something -- after 4 days of extensive listening would my preferences have shifted (due to brain burn-in, cans were well burned in)?

Anyway, my Cocos will come with Universe and the hybrid Auteur pads -- I've got perforated leather and suede Auteur and Eikon pads for my Auteur. I also have a set of Universe perf suede pads which I love on my HE-560s but didn't care for w/ Auteur.

Aug 10, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #2,316 of 6,283
Absolutely agreed... and yes, at some point I should try again..!

On the VC I use the Auteur solid lambskin (as I type:wink:)

Aug 10, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #2,317 of 6,283
I'm an Auteur pad (and staging) junkie apparently as those are my fav pads on the VC, Atrium and both Auteurs.
Whichever pad that gives the largest and deepest stage, it's going to be my fav pad.

Aug 10, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #2,318 of 6,283
Absolutely agreed... and yes, at some point I should try again..!

On the VC I use the Auteur solid lambskin (as I type:wink:)
One thing I have learned with ZMF pads is to not give up on them initially. I always try to come back to them after a while. I also use the auteur lambskin on the VC too. For me it's a no brainer with those pads on the VC. The others I have just don't stack up but on the Atrium I really could live with either the Be2 Suede and the Universe lambskin.

Aug 10, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #2,319 of 6,283
I'm an Auteur pad (and staging) junkie apparently as those are my fav pads on the VC, Atrium and both Auteurs.
Whichever pad that gives the largest and deepest stage, it's going to be my fav pad.
I agree that the Autuer have great staging. That's why I enjoy them so much on the VC. On the Atrium I love the mids and vocals so much and I feel like the Be2 suede really let those shine. To me it seems the Atrium sounds better with a wider variety of pads compared to the VC. The Atrium is just a super easy headphone to enjoy.

Aug 10, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #2,320 of 6,283
I've been working on my review of the Atrium over the last few weeks. I am excited to say that my experience and thoughts are now out on my YT Channel. However, I definitely have more to do with the Atriums as you will see in the video too.
For starters, I only have a Jotunheim 2 and Go Bar for amp options currently. I just got the BHC and I will be building that over the next couple of weeks. I've been recommended to try the BHC with ZMF, so I cannot wait to do that! I may also be able to get a Feliks Echo 2 in on loan to try on the Atrium.
So, for now, please jump in if you care to do so and check out my latest video.

ZMF has some special sauce going with their gear. That special sauce is some good ole fashioned love and care into their products. I wish I would have waited a bit longer for the new color options but I still can't be disappointed with the Aged Copper. It is, after all, a gorgeous headphone!

Aug 10, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #2,322 of 6,283
One thing I have learned with ZMF pads is to not give up on them initially. I always try to come back to them after a while. I also use the auteur lambskin on the VC too. For me it's a no brainer with those pads on the VC. The others I have just don't stack up but on the Atrium I really could live with either the Be2 Suede and the Universe lambskin.
Definitely agree with this. With the Auteur I tried two types of suede pads initially and didn't hear a ton of difference until I'd spent time with them, then had a clear preference. Didn't enjoy it that much until I put those pads I'd only tried briefly back on. It's been one of my favorite headphones since then and I still don't like any other pads on them.

With the Atrium I still enjoy them with the various perforated suede pads (other than Ori pads) but have developed a preference for the Auteur suedes and I don't like these pads on any other ZMF. Like the Universe, BE-2, and Eikon suedes just a bit less.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #2,323 of 6,283
The BE2 line and the Atrium are really odd to me. I love both the BE2 lamb (most favorite pad) and the BE2 suede (second favorite), but the BE2 hybrid are one of the, if not the worst pads I've tried. Very strange.

Aug 10, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #2,324 of 6,283
Aug 11, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #2,325 of 6,283
I just got the BHC and I will be building that over the next couple of weeks. I've been recommended to try the BHC with ZMF, so I cannot wait to do that! I may also be able to get a Feliks Echo 2 in on loan to try on the Atrium.

I've been working on my review of the Atrium over the last few weeks. I am excited to say that my experience and thoughts are now out on my YT Channel. However, I definitely have more to do with the Atriums as you will see in the video too.
For starters, I only have a Jotunheim 2 and Go Bar for amp options currently. I just got the BHC and I will be building that over the next couple of weeks. I've been recommended to try the BHC with ZMF, so I cannot wait to do that! I may also be able to get a Feliks Echo 2 in on loan to try on the Atrium.
So, for now, please jump in if you care to do so and check out my latest video.

Just a suggestion before you build the BHC.
A key component is the final capacitor connected to the output socket, an electrolytic cap of high value (100uF or over). Though this is a good amp, this cap is a limiting factor; I will never use an electro cap directly in the signal path. Almost all professionals use them purely from considerations of cost and size, not sound quality!

Consider changing these caps for Kemet dc-link caps 100uF, about 800V rating. These are film caps, I use them and they sound very good. They are big so will be a problem to fit, may need to fit them outside the case and link them with flying leads.

If you don't feel like doing this, here is another suggestion. Identify the caps in question (the neg side goes to the output socket) and when fitting them to the PCB, leave them proud of the board by say a bit over 1 cm or so. That way, if you later decide to change these caps you can snip the leads leaving a cm or so above the board and can then solder leads onto these wires, without needing to dismantle the amp and having the bother of unsoldering the caps from the pcb which can be a right pain!

Believe me, removing electrolytic caps from the signal path is a major improvement, well worth doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back