ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jun 6, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #1,157 of 6,396
I ordered mine Apr 16th.

Jun 6, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #1,158 of 6,396
Coming in here to praise the Atrium again. I figured I'd put it through its paces tonight with some fast, heavy, complex metal. A true challenge for many headphones to pull off to perfection without things sounding muddy. Atrium absolutely crushed this task. I've heard many, many details I've never heard in this song and every instrument was clear as hell to hear without ever getting muddy. I had a nice smile on throughout the entire song:

Liquid Tension Experiment - Acid Rain

1654573450613.png

Jun 7, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #1,159 of 6,396
Jun 7, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #1,160 of 6,396
The dynamic range of the Atrium is amazing. I've been fixated on this aspect for some time now. I find the Atrium mesmerizing because of it. I kept thinking why do I get so excited listening to it? I have other headphones with lots of punch and slam. But the Atrium is different somehow. It can present something like a soft hush with ethereal subtlety while simultaneously exploding into percussive mayhem at the drop of a breath. I'm not putting it into words well, but listening to the ability of the Atrium to present such a wide range of volume levels with such confidence and control impresses me. Today I spent the day on drum solos to try to better understand what I'm hearing and thinking. the below Tidal track is a decent illustration. You have these softer sounds like hand slapping the drum side, clapping, and tinkling chimes, all with varying degrees of intensity. Then out of nowhere the artist hits the deeper bass drums, and I can almost visualize the air percussing from the drum head. It's a powerful sound, with a lot of punch. Again, other headphones can do that deep slam as well, or even better, if quantity is valued over quality. But when those softer parts come in, those other headphones elevate it, so the range of volume isn't as wide. Super hard to explain, but I'm hearing it distinctly. When that proper bass drum hits man, it HITS! It's not sub-bassy, mind you. It's a taught mid-bass punch more than a sub-bass rumble. But it hits hard. Mix in the softer elements, and you have such a rich and varied cacophony of sound on such a well dispersed soundstage. Hats off to Zach, this headphone just does what I like like nothing else. I wish I could put into words what my ears perceive, this paragraph doesn't do it justice in the least.

1654645223826.png

PS I've settled on my Tuba as the amp of choice for my Atrium. Love the combo, very synergistic. Ok back to drum solos...bass goes BOOM....

Jun 7, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #1,161 of 6,396
The dynamic range of the Atrium is amazing. I've been fixated on this aspect for some time now. I find the Atrium mesmerizing because of it. I kept thinking why do I get so excited listening to it? I have other headphones with lots of punch and slam. But the Atrium is different somehow. It can present something like a soft hush with ethereal subtlety while simultaneously exploding into percussive mayhem at the drop of a breath. I'm not putting it into words well, but listening to the ability of the Atrium to present such a wide range of volume levels with such confidence and control impresses me. Today I spent the day on drum solos to try to better understand what I'm hearing and thinking. the below Tidal track is a decent illustration. You have these softer sounds like hand slapping the drum side, clapping, and tinkling chimes, all with varying degrees of intensity. Then out of nowhere the artist hits the deeper bass drums, and I can almost visualize the air percussing from the drum head. It's a powerful sound, with a lot of punch. Again, other headphones can do that deep slam as well, or even better, if quantity is valued over quality. But when those softer parts come in, those other headphones elevate it, so the range of volume isn't as wide. Super hard to explain, but I'm hearing it distinctly. When that proper bass drum hits man, it HITS! It's not sub-bassy, mind you. It's a taught mid-bass punch more than a sub-bass rumble. But it hits hard. Mix in the softer elements, and you have such a rich and varied cacophony of sound on such a well dispersed soundstage. Hats off to Zach, this headphone just does what I like like nothing else. I wish I could put into words what my ears perceive, this paragraph doesn't do it justice in the least.

1654645223826.png

PS I've settled on my Tuba as the amp of choice for my Atrium. Love the combo, very synergistic. Ok back to drum solos...bass goes BOOM....
Thanks for sharing that amazing track. I listened on Tidal with my Atrium and WA7 amp and it was just as impressive as you described.

Jun 8, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #1,162 of 6,396
For the sake of science I bought these. I'll let you guys guess which pad is stock and which is the Brainwavz.

BW.jpg

The Decware amp is in it's bones a CSP3 - but when you look under the hood there's a lot of stuff going on and some insane mods/additions I didn't even know could be on the table. I just sent Steve an early Atrium and then 6 months later he came back with the amp. The CSP3 is an amazing amp as well Steve is really an incredible amp designer/builder. I will have the final prototype at CanJam.
That's awesome - do we happen to know what DAC Steve paired the amp with?

Jun 8, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #1,163 of 6,396
That's awesome - do we happen to know what DAC Steve paired the amp with?
That's a good question! I'll ask him more details about his process and testing when I pick up the first batch of amps, maybe I can get him to tell us on video.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 8, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #1,164 of 6,396
L

1654645223826.png

Lovely impressions.

Jun 8, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #1,165 of 6,396
For the sake of science I bought these. I'll let you guys guess which pad is stock and which is the Brainwavz.

The Decware amp is in it's bones a CSP3 - but when you look under the hood there's a lot of stuff going on and some insane mods/additions I didn't even know could be on the table. I just sent Steve an early Atrium and then 6 months later he came back with the amp. The CSP3 is an amazing amp as well Steve is really an incredible amp designer/builder. I will have the final prototype at CanJam.
Just received my KOA Atrium and it is burning in- first of all, thank you so much, it looks and feels great! Decware has also always tickled my fancy. Do you know whether the Decware will also be available in 230 V?

Jun 8, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #1,166 of 6,396
One of the many great things I like about the Atrium is how it somehow makes live recordings sound more "live".
I was testing out a new (for me) tube roll and Roon randomly played me this. For 20 minutes I was transported to the front row of this show.

Warren Haynes makes everything sound better, and the Atrium made it sound more live.

Highly recommended.

Jun 8, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #1,167 of 6,396

1654645223826.png

Your impressions pretty much mirrors my experience. When I first got it the first thing that strikes me was how dynamic and explosive this sounds. Probably the most natural drum rendition of any headphones.

One other aspect that's not often mentioned is how great it sounded with live albums. More specifically live rock/blues. One of my favorites with this headphone is BB King's Live at the Regal album. The wail of the guitar and how the crowd and drums surrounds you is mesmerizing.

Jun 8, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #1,168 of 6,396
Jun 8, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #1,169 of 6,396
One of the many great things I like about the Atrium is how it somehow makes live recordings sound more "live".
I was testing out a new (for me) tube roll and Roon randomly played me this. For 20 minutes I was transported to the front row of this show.

Warren Haynes makes everything sound better, and the Atrium made it sound more live.

Highly recommended.

Epic tune...epic performance.

Jun 8, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #1,170 of 6,396

1654645223826.png

Hey, don't put yourself down, you have put it into words very well indeed.
What's more you are very perceptive in that true dynamics is more than just slam, it affect the realism right through the volume range. I hinted at that in my recent comments; you get it as well.
And your long paragraph does do it justice; well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back