ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jun 21, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #1,321 of 6,231
1. Would I be better served with an OTL or 300b?
2. What amp/options would you suggest?
3. Is there another type of all-triode or SET amp that you would recommend instead?

Any suggestions or advice are greatly appreciated!!
I’d also really like to hear people’s opinions about these questions.

Jun 21, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #1,322 of 6,231
I’d also really like to hear people’s opinions about these questions.
The one issue I can see is not many have heard 300b amps, so feedback might be sparse :frowning2:

I'm also really curious, as everyone raves about them. the main point of concern for me is the cost of tubes themselves. some of those 300b tube prices are vomit inducing!

Jun 21, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #1,323 of 6,231
Thanks @erics75 !! I'll need to label them somehow :)
Of all people, I saw Zeos's review of the Atrium and he has a brilliant way of marking them - silver Sharpie on the back side behind where the foam is! I thought about it and was instantly hit with a "well, why didn't I think of that!" moment...

Jun 21, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #1,324 of 6,231
I come seeking recommendations/advice. I have several SS and tube amps already, but for now I'm trying to decide which tube amp to add next. I ask here because I prefer ZMF Headphones over all and there has been quite a bit of discussion here about amplification. I currently have a Cayin HA-1A, a Darkvoice OTL, and an A&S Bigger Ben. I am on the waiting list with Mischa to have a Blue Halo OTL built, but lately I have been wondering if I should go for a 300b instead. I have about 7-8 months before my OTL build would start. I could do both, but I'm considering only doing one or the other. If I go 300b, I want something with speaker taps. I was considering the Cayin HA-300B mkII from ZMF, since I could likely get the discount there.

I don't like noise and not sure what level of noise to expect from a 300b. I've only ever heard one with speakers.
I listen to Rock/Classic Rock/Metal, Acoustic, and some Jazz.
I typically prefer a slightly warmer sound with tight bass and a sweet sounding midrange(at least that's where I always seem to end up with my tube rolling).

With all that said:
1. Would I be better served with an OTL or 300b?
2. What amp/options would you suggest?
3. Is there another type of all-triode or SET amp that you would recommend instead?

Any suggestions or advice are greatly appreciated!!
Ok, so here are my thoughts (IMO, YMMV):

"Better served" is a relative term. Any tube amp, if set up incorrectly, can produce noise. Conversely, any tube amp, if set up CORRECTLY, can be dead quiet. I have Woo Audio WA6-SE Gen 2's (2 of them), which are OTL SET. They are dead quiet with the right rectifier and drivers in them. They work great with my Atriums (in fact, they work great with my entire collection (see my signature)). Having said that, they will not drive high impedance (think Susvarna, et. al) very well at all. In contrast, my Woo Audio WA5-LE Gen 2 will drive anything (that I'm aware of) with no issues PROVIDED you use decent tubes in it. More than enough horsepower to drive the most demanding headphones out there.

"What amp would I suggest?" really depends on a few factors, most importantly will be the budget. If you've got the spare change, I wouldn't hesitate in a heartbeat to get a 300B over an OTL design. There are some great 300B amps out there in a variety of budget ranges. If you can't tell, I'm a bit of a Woo fanboy, but there are plenty of other quality amps out there for you to try. I think that you'll find that the tubes themselves will offer you more diversity of sound across the board, while the amp manufacturer provides the "stable" platform on which to build your sound characteristics. Much like optioning a car, you still have to pick your preferred base model, then customize it accordingly. FWIW, you can get a Woo Audio WA5 with speaker outputs if you want. Personally, I prefer amps with a specific focus (headphone amps = headphones, speaker amps = speakers, etc.) Again, personal preference here.

"Other type of all-triode or SET amp..." For me, none that come to mind, although I do know there are some folks running 45 or 2A3 amps out there. I'm not particularly versed with those, so others might be able to provide more insight. ( @paradoxper might have some thoughts here).

Regarding price points - There's nothing wrong with picking up a nice used item from the Classifieds (or other used audio website) provided you do your due diligence. My Woo WA5-LE and one of my Woo WA6-SE's came from the used market, both have been working flawlessly. Good way to save some cash to put towards your soon-to-be expensive tube rolling habit...

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #1,325 of 6,231
Thanks @erics75 !! I'll need to label them somehow :)
Other than keeping them in separately labeled bags, I found that using a metallic sharpie on the inside lip works really well.

Jun 21, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #1,326 of 6,231

"Better served" is a relative term. Any tube amp, if set up incorrectly, can produce noise. Conversely, any tube amp, if set up CORRECTLY, can be dead quiet. I have Woo Audio WA6-SE Gen 2's (2 of them), which are OTL. They are dead quiet with the right rectifier and drivers in them. They work great with my Atriums (in fact, they work great with my entire collection (see my signature). Having said that, they will not drive high impedance (think Susvarna, et. al) very well at all. In contrast, my Woo Audio WA5-LE Gen 2 will drive anything (that I'm aware of) with no issues PROVIDED you use decent tubes in it. More than enough horsepower to drive the most demanding headphones out there.

"What amp would I suggest?" really depends on a few factors, most importantly will be budget. If you've got the spare change, I wouldn't hesitate in a heartbeat to get a 300B over an OTL design. There are some great 300B amps out there in a variety of budget ranges. If you can't tell, I'm a bit of a Woo fanboy, but there are plenty of other quality amps out there for you to try. I think that you'll find that the tubes themselves will offer you more diversity of sound across the board, while the amp manufacturer provides the "stable" platform on which to build your sound characteristics. Much like optioning a car, you still have to pick your preferred base model, then customize accordingly. FWIW, you can get a Woo Audio WA5 with speaker outputs if you want. Personally, I prefer amps with specific focus (headphone amps = headphones, speaker amps = speakers, etc.) Again, personal preference here.

"Other type of all-triode or SET amp..." For me, none that come to mind, although I do know there are some folks running 45 or 2A3 amps out there. I'm not particularly versed with those, so others might be able to provide more insight. ( @paradoxper might have some thoughts here).

Regarding price points - There's nothing wrong with picking up a nice used item from the Classifieds (or other used audio website) provided you do your due diligence. My Woo WA5-LE and one of my Woo WA6-SE's came from the used market, both have been working flawlessly. Good way to save some cash to put towards your soon-to-be expensive tube rolling habit...
The WA6-SE is a SET OTC amplifier, not OTL.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #1,327 of 6,231
I'm running pretty close to you. I have the Verite lambskins and the more open radial vented mesh. I definitely prefer the Verite pads to all three Universe and Auteur pads as well as the BE2 hybrids. I felt all the Auteur pads created a bloomer and less controlled bass than the other pad shapes relatively speaking and while they had a larger stage it was more diffuse. If I could only listen to the Auteur pads I'd probably sell the Atrium. All the Universe pads and the BE2 hybrid are really good and I could live with any of them but the Verite pads are my favorites.

The Verite pads have the best quality bass, best imaging and clearly defined soundstage, even if intimate as you correctly note, for my ears.

I haven't tried removing the mesh yet because I haven't noticed Zach mentioning that it's safe for the driver to run without the mesh. I imagine it's fine but without confirmation I'm reticent to try it. But I'm not really surprised you enjoy it without the mesh, @erics75. I don't find the treble response to be grating to my ears in this form and I imagine I may like it without given your account.

Does the bass still slam with the Verite pads? I agree that the bass on the Auteur pads does bleed a little but the slam is absolutely perfect. I’m using these over the Universe because the universe doesn’t have the bleed issue but the slam is also completely gone and I love having that feel.

Jun 21, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #1,328 of 6,231
Does the bass still slam with the Verite pads? I agree that the bass on the Auteur pads does bleed a little but the slam is absolutely perfect. I’m using these over the Universe because the universe doesn’t have the bleed issue but the slam is also completely gone and I love having that feel.
Interesting. You're saying that you feel the Auteur pads slam harder than the Universe pads? Are both lambskin pads?

Jun 21, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #1,329 of 6,231
I might've said this before in the initial thread but I can't be the only one thinking just how cool a super dark glossy Blackwood, ebony or the likes with a steel grill would look against it, or even rose gold or copper accents. Would be killer for that new Auteur Classic too.
God damn it Zach I saw the pic of that Blackwood and Ebony Atrium in the CJ impressions thread. Stunning and just how one would expect them to look.

Jun 21, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #1,330 of 6,231
Interesting. You're saying that you feel the Auteur pads slam harder than the Universe pads? Are both lambskin pads?

Yea they both are lambskin - I know, I was told Universe was a better slamming pad (at least for the VC). I was pretty surprised that it pretty much took the slam away compared to the Auteur pads. Universe provided more detail and expanded the soundstage where-as the Auteur's emphasized the mids and pumped up the bass slam

Jun 21, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #1,331 of 6,231
the main point of concern for me is the cost of tubes themselves. some of those 300b tube prices are vomit inducing!
Yeah, I highly recommend for anyone who is considering a 300b amp, to check tube prices prior to buying said amp.
Tubes in general are absurdly priced, but 300b tubes are on a whole other level of absurdity.

Jun 21, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #1,332 of 6,231
Jun 21, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #1,333 of 6,231
Yeah, I highly recommend for anyone who is considering a 300b amp, to check tube prices prior to buying said amp.
Tubes in general are absurdly priced, but 300b tubes are on a whole other level of absurdity.
I agree the prices are high, but there are a few tube types that sound great by most accounts for a reasonable price. I wonder where the diminishing returns set in on those or what price range of 300B delivers the best bang for the buck. I know the Takatsuki and the Sophia mesh plate both get a lot of mention, but they are over 1k apart in price. Then there is the WE new prod. as well as NOS. I am most definitely a tube roller so adding a 300B to the lineup could require a side hustle on my part. :ksc75smile:

Jun 21, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #1,334 of 6,231

"Better served" is a relative term. Any tube amp, if set up incorrectly, can produce noise. Conversely, any tube amp, if set up CORRECTLY, can be dead quiet. I have Woo Audio WA6-SE Gen 2's (2 of them), which are OTL. They are dead quiet with the right rectifier and drivers in them. They work great with my Atriums (in fact, they work great with my entire collection (see my signature). Having said that, they will not drive high impedance (think Susvarna, et. al) very well at all. In contrast, my Woo Audio WA5-LE Gen 2 will drive anything (that I'm aware of) with no issues PROVIDED you use decent tubes in it. More than enough horsepower to drive the most demanding headphones out there.

"What amp would I suggest?" really depends on a few factors, most importantly will be budget. If you've got the spare change, I wouldn't hesitate in a heartbeat to get a 300B over an OTL design. There are some great 300B amps out there in a variety of budget ranges. If you can't tell, I'm a bit of a Woo fanboy, but there are plenty of other quality amps out there for you to try. I think that you'll find that the tubes themselves will offer you more diversity of sound across the board, while the amp manufacturer provides the "stable" platform on which to build your sound characteristics. Much like optioning a car, you still have to pick your preferred base model, then customize accordingly. FWIW, you can get a Woo Audio WA5 with speaker outputs if you want. Personally, I prefer amps with specific focus (headphone amps = headphones, speaker amps = speakers, etc.) Again, personal preference here.

Budget is a primary concern. If you'd like to lean into the Atrium, go 300B maintain the warm midrange bolster body and coherence through the treble.
adding 2A3 leans more solid state with more definition at a loss of musicality, the 45 tube is simply special, better midrange sweetness than the 300B with a more agile and quick type sound -- my knock on 45 is more limited tube choice but the mesh bring a different immediacy.

But IMO if you go 300B, get the Elrog 300B. It is simply a better tube than all the other.

Keep in mind the 300B character, you can pivot slightly but follow your listening preference with desired tube application.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #1,335 of 6,231
The comments and suggestions are much appreciated!! It's apparent that 300B is much more suitable for my preferences. As much as I like the idea of a custom OTL, I can't really say that 6AS7 or 6080 is really my cup of tea when it comes to triode power tubes. I do enjoy them from time to time, but I want something on a different plane all together. Now to decide which 300B or perhaps even something with 45 tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back