ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Dec 14, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #5,371 of 6,355
I'd still like to ask for fresh views from people who have heard/own both the Atrium and the Verite Open, which one do you prefer for metal & rock type of music? I'm looking for possible upgrades to my wenge Auteurs which I love.
I thoroughly enjoyed both models for those genres. The Atrium hits harder and slightly thicker tonality and the Verite is notably faster, airier and possess a more enveloping stage. I mentioned on several occasion that the Atrium has probably the most realistic rendering of kick drums I've heard in a headphone and that trait lends itself well to rock. Drum texture on drum heavy tracks like Early Sunsets Over Monroeville by MCR is about as real as I've heard on any headphone. The Verite is overall just a very engaging and snappy headphone. They work really well for those genres so it really depends on what you're looking for primarily in a headphone as an upgrade over the Auteur.

Is there a particular trait you would like to see improved for your next purchase? If you can elaborate further on what you are looking for as an improvement the community can probably provide you with more insightful advice for your blind purchase.

Dec 14, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #5,372 of 6,355
IMO the Caldera has both timbre&tonality with speed&details. For those who want everything. :)
This is true, it’s the best planar I’ve heard for timbre and tonality, though, the AO & VO still take the cake in that regard.
Caldera definitely takes speed and details up another notch.

It always comes down to personal preferences. What a hobby… : )

Dec 14, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #5,373 of 6,355
This is true, it’s the best planar I’ve heard for timbre and tonality, though, the AO & VO still take the cake in that regard.

Caldera mids (and therefore guitars, the main event) I find are ever so slightly pulled back. Atrium puts them in your face. I personally like the Caldera presentation, but I can understand some people preferring Atriums for rock/metal in particular.

Dec 14, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #5,374 of 6,355
Your posts in various threads influenced my decision a good bit actually, so thank you! I'm happy to hear about the guitar sound, can't wait to go through some Gothenburg-metal on them.

You're in for a treat, my friend! The new In Flames and Halo Effect sound absolutely fantastic on the Atrium \m/

I think you and I have very similar taste in music. I listen to alot of metal too. It helps if the Atrium is forgiving because the recordings aren't the best most of the time.

Yes the forgiving nature of the Atrium is a lifesaver, especially with those old albums that are a bit rough around the edges on analytical headphones.

Oh, by the way, I'd suggest grabbing the Caldera Ultra Perf pads as your backup (they come with the Universe pads by default). And also ask Zach to toss in the solid mesh, just in case you run into any issues with the upper mids.

Dec 14, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #5,375 of 6,355
You're in for a treat, my friend! The new In Flames and Halo Effect sound absolutely fantastic on the Atrium \m/

Yes the forgiving nature of the Atrium is a lifesaver, especially with those old albums that are a bit rough around the edges on analytical headphones.

Oh, by the way, I'd suggest grabbing the Caldera Ultra Perf pads as your backup (they come with the Universe pads by default). And also ask Zach to toss in the solid mesh, just in case you run into any issues with the upper mids.
Agreed the Caldera Ultra Perfs are now my favorite pads for the Atrium.

Dec 14, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #5,376 of 6,355

Yes, the AO and VO (especially AO) might have slightly better timbre, just as some other TOTL planars might have slightly better speed/detail. But no other headphone combines the two traditional strengths of dynamic and planar drivers the way the Caldera does.
At the end of the day it is all about personal preference, what traits matter the most to you.

Dec 14, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #5,377 of 6,355
Do you prefer Atrium + Caldera Ultra Perf pads with stock or solid mesh? Is it just about issues with upper mids or more complex sound difference? Thank you.

Dec 14, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #5,378 of 6,355

These are wise words.

Dec 14, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #5,379 of 6,355
Friends, if someone could listen to this track and tell me if the track gets too shouty it would be super helpful. I've been using it as a reference track for upper midrange shoutiness. I listen reasonably loud. With the Aueteur it was a real challenge unless I listened low volume. I am looking at purchasing the AO or the VC as a replacement but am worried about the upper mid FR.

https://tidal.com/track/76700644

It's been a while since I listened to this album. Sounds very good and I don't find it shouty on Atrium, however I just recently put on the Auteur hybrid pads which pushes the mids forward even further and adds some clarity. Out of curiosity I put the Universe back on which seem to dial back the vocals just slightly. Balanced and smooth.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #5,380 of 6,355
Do you prefer Atrium + Caldera Ultra Perf pads with stock or solid mesh? Is it just about issues with upper mids or more complex sound difference? Thank you.

Gotta start by saying, if you check my comments in this thread from a year ago, you'll probably see me singing praises for the Auteur pads with the stock mesh. But back then, I was using the Atrium with the Quicksilver and Ares II. At the moment, I've got the Atrium paired with the Woo WA3 and Bifrost 2/64. The Auteur pads don't quite hit the mark with this setup for me, as they make the sound a touch too soft. In response to your question, my current go-to pads are the Universe with the stock vented mesh. However, I'm also digging the Caldera Ultra Perf with the same stock vented mesh when I'm more in the mood for a brighter and less mid-bassy sound.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #5,381 of 6,355
Neil Young ‘Powderfinger’ (from Live Rust) Cowon Plenue II Mk 2 (optical out) ==> Hugo 2 ==> Atrium

Just f-ing great!

Love my Atrium w/ most tracks, but occasionally a tune comes up that’s a 600ft homer :)

And the Hugo 2 synergizes w/ Atrium really well.

Dec 15, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #5,382 of 6,355
To be honest ZMF should put a warning label on their boxes or something. Too easy to get totally lost in the music, and lose all sense of time.

Dec 15, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #5,383 of 6,355
To be honest ZMF should put a warning label on their boxes or something. Too easy to get totally lost in the music, and lose all sense of time.
Just looking at them should tell you all you need to know.. :)

Dec 15, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #5,384 of 6,355
Huge Caligula’s Horse fan here! Currently cranking that song on my setup, and there's absolutely no annoying sharpness. My setup is Bifrost 2/64 --> Woo WA3 --> ZMF Atrium with the Universe pads and stock vented mesh. I'm a bit picky about those upper mids, like can't handle the HD600 with rock and metal. But I never had any issues with the upper mids of the Atrium.
As I mentioned above, I am not a metal fan, but I did listen to this (yes, at 6:00 am) and it sounds awesome! Wow, that is a lot of music! Not shouty but so much going on that I to it a couple of times. I can appreciate the way the Atrium handles the dynamics of the song and understand why you guys love the AO for this genre.

Dec 15, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #5,385 of 6,355
As I mentioned above, I am not a metal fan, but I did listen to this (yes, at 6:00 am) and it sounds awesome! Wow, that is a lot of music! Not shouty but so much going on that I to it a couple of times. I can appreciate the way the Atrium handles the dynamics of the song and understand why you guys love the AO for this genre.
There is hope for you yet! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back