ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Aug 10, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #4,817 of 6,417
Yeah, nothing wrong about them paired together. However by add HA-3A to the chain, will elevate sound significantly.

Yeah, I'm quite fond of using them with my HA-6A.

Aug 10, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #4,818 of 6,417
Another album recommendation. "Mari Boine - See The Woman". It's not for everyone, but I think it sounds incredible on Atrium. Deep thumpy bass, spacious and crystal clear, smooth vocals.
https://tidal.com/browse/album/301959406

Aug 14, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #4,820 of 6,417
I've had the opportunity to borrow a Caldera for about a week to largely compare it to the Atrium. It has a impressive clarity to it in comparison to the Atrium but for me (I'll say it again, for me!) the Atrium is pretty clearly the preference. The Caldera, while very impressive timbrally for a planar, does not meet the ease of natural-ness of the Atrium. The Atrium also has a more spherical 3D headstage compared to the Caldera's more expansive, but flatter presentation. I can see why others would prefer the Caldera's staging but I find the Atrium more magical. The difference in transient speed I think tricks a listener into thinking the Caldera is more detailed but I think after some back to back listening I think this is just a presentation difference to me. Atrium is no slouch with details. The Atrium is more visceral in the bass and I feel like does better with both macro and micro dynamics.

Back to back, the Atrium could be heard as "hazy" but it doesn't take long to re-adjust. I find the Caldera an interesting take in the sea of high end planars and I'd like it for an occasional changeup in my lineup but $4000 is too much for such a headphone in the stable.

I'm not going to write an extensive comparison vs. the CA-1a but overall (for me, again!) the Caldera does nothing better than the CA-1a, even if not all that far behind in any one area.

At this point for me a headphone has to supplant either the Atrium or CA-1a which is a tall task.

This is just one listener's (with a heavy bias for dynamic driver headphones) opinion.

The Atrium is just so damn good and one of my favorite headphones I've heard/owned.

Note: I listened to Caldera with the stock lambskin pads. My Atrium configuration is very atypical. I have a very high janka set and run no mesh with Verite Ultra Perf Lambskin pads to lift treble almost as much as possible with mesh/pads.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #4,821 of 6,417
“Note: I listened to Caldera with the stock lambskin pads. My Atrium configuration is very atypical. I have a very high janka set and run no mesh with Verite Ultra Perf Lambskin pads to lift treble almost as much as possible with mesh/pads.”

Whoa! You can tolerate some treble! So did you find the Caldera harsh or shouty at all compared to your Atrium? @Failed Engineer

Aug 14, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #4,822 of 6,417
@Failed Engineer thanks for sharing. Having heard the Caldera fairly recently, I've come to the conclusion that the ZMF dynamics are more suited for my ears as well. The Caldera is one of the best planar I've heard to date and in terms of value it is one that I think is worth it's asking price in the current pricing landscape. Personally speaking I don't think it replaces any of the ZMF dynamics flagships so it is kinda hard to justify owning a 3k headphone along side two other flagship headphones for me. With regards to your views on resolution, the Atrium is no slouch in this area and can definitely keep pace with Caldera in terms of resolution. The key difference lies in presentation. The latter does have better clarity and is overall more refine in it's delivery. Both loses out in overall mid range resolution to the OG Utopia imo. I think there are still merits in getting dynamic headphones and I'm glad companies like ZMF are still innovating this driver tech.

Aug 15, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #4,823 of 6,417
So based on the previous chatter about the new Caldera Ultra Perforated pads in this thread, I picked up a set to try on the Atrium. Up until now I have had a strong preference for the stock Universal Perforated Lambskin pads on the Atrium. I swapped on the new Caldera Ultra Perforated this past Saturday with high hopes as I much prefer the fit and comfort of this new style pad on my Caldera. Well, about five hours later around 2AM I had to call it a night... These pads are fantastic on the Atrium! Here are a few quick observations, some echoing what others have said:
  • These make the Atrium sound even more open but not more distant- everything actually sounds a little more present
  • In a weird way I hear what the pads are shaped like- the tone is the same but the Universals sound like I am just a bit further from the drivers and like I am hearing the sound through a large opening while the Ultra Perf pads sound significantly more open like nothing is in the way (I liked that someone else said they sound even more "Atrium")
  • Besides the added openness I am most happy to hear slightly less mid-bass bloom which was always my biggest nitpick with the Atrium. I appreciate the warm colored signature of the Atrium but they could be a tad boomy with some recordings. These pads seem to reduce that bloom and balance things out ever so slightly.
  • I always felt that the Atrium was deceptively detailed but these pads seem to let those details shine a tad more.
  • Some may feel this takes away some of what makes the Atrium so unique but these pads are game-changers for me. This is the first time I have preferred a non-stock pad on a ZMF.
  • The Atrium still has that romantic natural timber that makes them so addicting but the added openness and slightly more balanced sound just takes them to the next level for me.
  • I did swap back to the Universals for a short period to verify what I am hearing. The Ultra Perforated pads will be staying in permanently however.
  • If you are purchasing a new or used Atrium make sure you pick up a set of these!

PXL_20230815_205157084.jpg

PXL_20230815_205948291.PORTRAIT.jpg

Aug 16, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #4,824 of 6,417
Been listening to TH900 for a bit, another biodynamic, and yeah it's fun for certain genres and surprisingly open sounding for a closed back. But wow, coming back to Atrium you realize how well tuned the Atrium is. It just sounds so rich. It's been said many times before but every note feel like they have a weight behind them. Now I really want another closed back and I've been going back and forth between VC and AC for a while. Hopefully I get to demo them both one day and I can make a better decision of what I want, but one thing's for sure: Atrium Open will stay in my collection for a very long time.

Aug 16, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #4,825 of 6,417
Been listening to TH900 for a bit, another biodynamic, and yeah it's fun for certain genres and surprisingly open sounding for a closed back. But wow, coming back to Atrium you realize how well tuned the Atrium is. It just sounds so rich. It's been said many times before but every note feel like they have a weight behind them. Now I really want another closed back and I've been going back and forth between VC and AC for a while. Hopefully I get to demo them both one day and I can make a better decision of what I want, but one thing's for sure: Atrium Open will stay in my collection for a very long time.

The AC are just fantastic. Highly recommended! You'll get much of what you love with the AO, coupled with couple of unique attributes, such as one of the best sub-bass in any headphone.

Aug 16, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #4,826 of 6,417

Fly out to London this weekend. :) Canjam. You can try the AC and VC, and Caldera etc. Closest we can get to auditioning ZMFs unless we visit the Wild West.

Aug 21, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #4,827 of 6,417
Can't be said enough, Atriums shine with hard rock :L3000:
Shinedown is from my home area in North FL

Enjoying some Danish rock with Volbeat, the riffs from 2:00-3 min are epic...not sure about the bagpipes? afterwards but love the guitar work

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #4,828 of 6,417
Hey guys, new to positing here.

I was hoping to add some atrium impressions by now but unfortunately they've been waiting for Canadian customs clearance since the 11th. I wonder if anyone else has been having a slow customs experience during this hot cup summer? The wait is kinda rough, I know I'll get dinged with some fees I just want it to be over with so I can get them lol.

In the meantime I might add some thoughts to the VC and Atticus threads while I wait. Hopefully I'll be listening to the atrium soon though!

Aug 22, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #4,829 of 6,417
Hey guys, new to positing here.

I was hoping to add some atrium impressions by now but unfortunately they've been waiting for Canadian customs clearance since the 11th. I wonder if anyone else has been having a slow customs experience during this hot cup summer? The wait is kinda rough, I know I'll get dinged with some fees I just want it to be over with so I can get them lol.

In the meantime I might add some thoughts to the VC and Atticus threads while I wait. Hopefully I'll be listening to the atrium soon though!
That seems brutal for customs. My first set of ZMFs were like 1-2 days after they shipped with DHL. Worst I've had was like a 4 day delay at customs (also through DHL for a couple ZMF straps).

I'm really hoping they don't tie up my hot cup shipment. I feel I've been finding more packages are being inspected and resealed.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #4,830 of 6,417
That seems brutal for customs. My first set of ZMFs were like 1-2 days after they shipped with DHL. Worst I've had was like a 4 day delay at customs (also through DHL for a couple ZMF straps).

I'm really hoping they don't tie up my hot cup shipment. I feel I've been finding more packages are being inspected and resealed.
That has been my experience as well with DHL and ZMF in the past, pretty quick clearance and delivery. Which is why this delay concerns me a bit. My VC and Atticus made it through quickly, however that was a year and many years ago. I just wish they would give any kind of indication as to what's going on in terms of processing time or activity. DHL can't get that info either.

I hope your pair makes it through quickly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back