ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Sep 28, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #3,196 of 6,238
Did you like the Code X?
Yea, it was a great headphone. Also really liked the stock HE-5. There was something about those early HiFiman's that felt they were close to greatness, but just not quite there. I also had a 4-Screw HE-6 and tried all kinds of mods on it, but never could quite tame it.

Sep 29, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #3,198 of 6,238
Sep 29, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #3,199 of 6,238
Colour and texture are so beautiful to look at! Great pairing with WA23?
Indeed! Love your shots of ZMFs, btw...

The pairing is really good. The only thing that feels a little lacking is the Atriums sound a little congested to me, but that's consistent with listening on my other amp (Ferrum Oor + Hypsos). They're not totally burned in yet, so that could be the reason. Better than when I got them though, and they seem to be burning in in small increments, which is unusual since most other headphones I've had seem to go from not burned in to - yup, wow, the sound really just opened up! Imaging and soundstage is already nice though. Not hearing the note decay or "air" people are talking about with this headphone yet, but I'm listening on the Universe Lambskin and will be getting the Be2 Suede in soon to try.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #3,200 of 6,238
Indeed! Love your shots of ZMFs, btw...

The pairing is really good. The only thing that feels a little lacking is the Atriums sound a little congested to me, but that's consistent with listening on my other amp (Ferrum Oor + Hypsos). They're not totally burned in yet, so that could be the reason. Better than when I got them though, and they seem to be burning in in small increments, which is unusual since most other headphones I've had seem to go from not burned in to - yup, wow, the sound really just opened up! Imagining and soundstage is already nice though. Not hearing the note decay or "air" people are talking about with this headphone yet, but I'm listening on the Universe Lambskin and will be getting the Be2 Suede in soon to try.
They do take a good bit to break in. Once they do though congested is definitely not a word I would ever associate with Atriums.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #3,201 of 6,238
Good to know. In your experience, would you say the upper mids and treble open up with burn in?

Sep 29, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #3,202 of 6,238
Good to know. In your experience, would you say the upper mids and treble open up with burn in?
They do. Everything improves across the board.

Sep 29, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #3,203 of 6,238
They do take a good bit to break in. Once they do though congested is definitely not a word I would ever associate with Atriums.
20-30 hrs was all I needed to break in the drivers on the Atrium. Rest has been my own adjustments as I have learned the sound. I did notice the most difference in bass solidity and treble definition during those 20-30 hrs

Sep 29, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #3,204 of 6,238
20-30 hrs was all I needed to break in the drivers on the Atrium. Rest has been my own adjustments as I have learned the sound. I did notice the most difference in bass solidity and treble definition during those 20-30 hrs
Good to know, thanks. They're probably between 25-30 hours right now. I'm currently listening and hearing a lot more space and decay of notes than I was yesterday. Using the same album (Tord Gustavsen Trio's "Being There") is helpful. Could be partial brain burn-in, of course..

Sep 29, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #3,205 of 6,238
Good to know, thanks. They're probably between 25-30 hours right now. I'm currently listening and hearing a lot more space and decay of notes than I was yesterday. Using the same album (Tord Gustavsen Trio's "Being There") is helpful. Could be partial brain burn-in, of course..
There is always that. Brain burn in is hard to ignore

Sep 29, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #3,206 of 6,238
There is always that. Brain burn in is hard to ignore
For sure. Although the more I listen I've kept thinking "yes - there's definitely more of that decay, less bloated bass, and upper mids sound more there than the last couple weeks." Win!

Sep 29, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #3,207 of 6,238
I’ve had the chance to listen to two different atrium units from new through the burn in process and noticed the exact same changes on both: bass started off a little stiff, mids were a little grainy, and the stage felt boxy. All of these things improved over the first 24 hours or so and were totally gone by 50 or so hours. Really wish I had a way to measure them as I’m fairly confident the changes would be measurable.

Sep 29, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #3,208 of 6,238
I’ve had the chance to listen to two different atrium units from new through the burn in process and noticed the exact same changes on both: bass started off a little stiff, mids were a little grainy, and the stage felt boxy. All of these things improved over the first 24 hours or so and were totally gone by 50 or so hours. Really wish I had a way to measure them as I’m fairly confident the changes would be measurable.
Glad it's not just me! The qualities that people seemed to love about them were not there at the start, and, ironically, sounded pretty much the opposite. Listening now though, it's a relief. And, I'd agree - I bet the changes would be measurable, too. They sound that obvious to me.

Sep 29, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #3,209 of 6,238
For sure. Although the more I listen I've kept thinking "yes - there's definitely more of that decay, less bloated bass, and upper mids sound more there than the last couple weeks." Win!
Huge win... I can never tell how much is actual burn in and how much is my brain adjusting. All I know is that the more I listen the more I like.

Sep 29, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #3,210 of 6,238
Huge win... I can never tell how much is actual burn in and how much is my brain adjusting. All I know is that the more I listen the more I like.
And in the end, I guess that's what it's all about! Glad you're enjoying them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back