ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Aug 26, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #2,686 of 6,515
I've started pad-rolling between the Universe perforated leather and BE2 suede perforated. I'm glad I have these two sets as they each bring something different our of the Atrium. However for general/casual listening I prefer the more spacious sound of the Universe leather and it's likely to be the one I use the most out of these two.

But I'm a curious cat - has anyone tried the Universe Suede Perforated and/or Universe Hybrid Perforated and is able to share a comparison to the leathers?

EDIT: I may have to come back later and revisit my comment about the Universe vs BE2. I just loosened the clamp force a little while using the BE2 because my ears were touching the foam on the inside of the pads. I (fortunately for a headphone junkie) have a tiny head so generally I find it easy to make most headphones comfortable. It didn't cross my mind to loosen the clamp before, but now that I have the BE2s have opened up nicely, reducing the slight boominess I got from them initially while keeping the slight lift in the mids and smooth treble. Need to try the Universe with this new clamp but I'm gonna sit with the BE2 for a while as I'm enjoying this.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #2,687 of 6,515
Now you’re making me want both of them (which sadly, my budget does not allow for)! :)
You can always sell a kidney! Lol. I sold my Burson Soloist GT to pay for the Atrium since I mainly listen with my wa22. ZMF cans just pair so great with tubes. The GT was a great Amp but I enjoy the Atrium much more. Just read, keep asking questions, and evaluate what you need and I really believe whatever you choose you will enjoy. If mids are what you are looking for I would go with the Atrium. The mids are just amazing on the Atrium and they make it such a musical headphone.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #2,688 of 6,515
You can always sell a kidney! Lol. I sold my Burson Soloist GT to pay for the Atrium since I mainly listen with my wa22. ZMF cans just pair so great with tubes. The GT was a great Amp but I enjoy the Atrium much more. Just read, keep asking questions, and evaluate what you need and I really believe whatever you choose you will enjoy. If mids are what you are looking for I would go with the Atrium. The mids are just amazing on the Atrium and they make it such a musical headphone.
Thanks!

I have a feeling I’ll end up going with the Atrium, but will continue researching for now!

Aug 26, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #2,689 of 6,515
Thanks!

I have a feeling I’ll end up going with the Atrium, but will continue researching for now!
I feel like the Atrium is a safer bet if you have never heard ZMF cans. It is an all around headphone and has a very agreeable tuning that most ppl will enjoy.

Aug 26, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #2,690 of 6,515
I've started pad-rolling between the Universe perforated leather and BE2 suede perforated. I'm glad I have these two sets as they each bring something different our of the Atrium. However for general/casual listening I prefer the more spacious sound of the Universe leather and it's likely to be the one I use the most out of these two.

But I'm a curious cat - has anyone tried the Universe Suede Perforated and/or Universe Hybrid Perforated and is able to share a comparison to the leathers?

EDIT: I may have to come back later and revisit my comment about the Universe vs BE2. I just loosened the clamp force a little while using the BE2 because my ears were touching the foam on the inside of the pads. I (fortunately for a headphone junkie) have a tiny head so generally I find it easy to make most headphones comfortable. It didn't cross my mind to loosen the clamp before, but now that I have the BE2s have opened up nicely, reducing the slight boominess I got from them initially while keeping the slight lift in the mids and smooth treble. Need to try the Universe with this new clamp but I'm gonna sit with the BE2 for a while as I'm enjoying this.
In case you haven't seen this: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/zmf-atrium-pad-review.25839/

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #2,691 of 6,515
I feel like the Atrium is a safer bet if you have never heard ZMF cans. It is an all around headphone and has a very agreeable tuning that most ppl will enjoy.
Where does one go in the ZMF lineup after the Atrium?

Aug 26, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #2,692 of 6,515
Aug 26, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #2,693 of 6,515
In addition to my DAP, I have a set of active speakers (Buchardt Audio A500’s, as connected via their WISA Hub option), so my current amp setup are those as built inside the A500’s.
I admittedly know nothing about using powered speakers to drive headphones, still I'd be willing to bet a huge sum that you most likely will be underwhelmed by what you hear by doing so.

Most modern headphones are of the low impedance/ high sensitivity variety ( like the Cascades), headphones that can easily be driven by a phone or DAP. I'm going to put forth a semi educated guess that the op amp inside your speakers is of the convenience type, intended for low impedance headphones and not really intended to drive high impedance headphones, like ZMFs.

As to how the Atrium will sound from your Hiby DAP, again I have no experience/ There are certainly owners that use DAPs on occasion for ZMF headphones, but most of us use a dedicated desktop headphone amp to drive them, and a sizeable chunk of us prefer using valve/tube amps.

I feel that in order to maximize your investment and hear the Atrium, or any other high impedance dynamic headphone for that matter, at its full potential, you should consider getting a proper headphone amp for the Atrium, or stick with low impedance headphones if adding an amp isn't currently possible.

My apologies for being a buzzkill.

Aug 26, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #2,694 of 6,515
Thanks for this reply! That’s a great breakdown for reference.

I currently have a pair of the closed-back Campfire Audio Cascades, and whilst the VC’s would offer what they do, only a lot more so, I’m starting to wonder if a more natural sounding, wider soundstage option might be my best next step.

I do a lot of my headphone listening with a DAP, rather than hooked up to my main hi-fi setup, but I’ve read that you can still get the benefit out of ZMF’s products via this route, and I would think it likely that my Hiby R6 Pro should be powerful enough to accommodate either model’s potential sufficiently.

I think I’ll hang on for ZMF November as you suggest though!
My Hiby R6 Pro drove Atrium quite well when I had a demo. I've used it extensively with my Auteur, which are close to equally demanding vs Atrium.

I actually like the Hiby better with Atrium, slightly prefer Auteur from my FiiO M15.

Aug 26, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #2,695 of 6,515

If you don't have the Vérité already, go there, open or closed based on your needs. If you already have a Vérité, you could wait for the Atrium Closed.

Aug 26, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #2,696 of 6,515
I guess I'd say it depends on what you would like to find next. Aeolus, Auteur & Verite will all have their adherents and each will deliver a different flavor of ZMF-ishness :)

Aug 26, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #2,697 of 6,515
I admittedly know nothing about using powered speakers to drive headphones, still I'd be willing to bet a huge sum that you most likely will be underwhelmed by what you hear by doing so.

Most modern headphones are of the low impedance/ high sensitivity variety ( like the Cascades), headphones that can easily be driven by a phone or DAP. I'm going to put forth a semi educated guess that the op amp inside your speakers is of the convenience type, intended for low impedance headphones and not really intended to drive high impedance headphones, like ZMFs.

As to how the Atrium will sound from your Hiby DAP, again I have no experience/ There are certainly owners that use DAPs on occasion for ZMF headphones, but most of us use a dedicated desktop headphone amp to drive them, and a sizeable chunk of us prefer using valve/tube amps.

I feel that in order to maximize your investment and hear the Atrium, or any other high impedance dynamic headphone for that matter, at its full potential, you should consider getting a proper headphone amp for the Atrium, or stick with low impedance headphones if adding an amp isn't currently possible.

My apologies for being a buzzkill.
Not necessarily a buzzkill, this is good detail to know!

The amplifiers in my Buchardt speakers are “3 x 150 RMS / 330 Peak watts class D (per speaker)” if that helps?

No worries if your point remains the same.

Are there any particular headphone amps that are known to pair particularly well with ZMF products?

The world of headphone amps is new to me, so any guidance appreciated! 👍

Aug 26, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #2,698 of 6,515
A little birdy told me Zach is working on an open back, multi-driver headphone using nanorobotic technology and advanced bio-engineered wood cups.

Aug 26, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #2,699 of 6,515
Not necessarily a buzzkill, this is good detail to know!

The amplifiers in my Buchardt speakers are “3 x 150 RMS / 330 Peak watts class D (per speaker)” if that helps?

No worries if your point remains the same.

Are there any particular headphone amps that are known to pair particularly well with ZMF products?

The world of headphone amps is new to me, so any guidance appreciated! 👍
I'm guessing that's the ratings for driving the speakers and not the headphones.
For the headphones, most likely they implemented an op amp, or perhaps, but less likely, an in line resistor. Headphones require much less power to drive than speakers, so it's def not the unadulterated speaker amp pumping out thru the hp jack.
My Goldenear Triton 2 also have a powered sub in each tower, but no hp jack.

Regarding a dedicated hp amp, what's your budget?
You will get a plethora of suggestions once we know how much of your money we can spend for you.
Personally I always suggest an OTL amp for high impedance headphones.

Aug 26, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #2,700 of 6,515
I'm guessing that's the ratings for driving the speakers and not the headphones.
For the headphones, most likely they implemented an op amp, or perhaps, but less likely, an in line resistor. Headphones require much less power to drive than speakers, so it's def not the unadulterated speaker amp pumping out thru the hp jack.
My Goldenear Triton 2 also have a powered sub in each tower, but no hp jack.

Regarding a dedicated hp amp, what's your budget?
You will get a plethora of suggestions once we know how much of your money we can spend for you.
Personally I always suggest an OTL amp for high impedance headphones.
Thanks again!

Budget would be TBC for now, but if there are any particular good products in both the mid and upper end of the headphone amp price range (assuming such price categories are easy to define here of course), I can check them out when researching.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back