ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jul 7, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #1,561 of 6,266
No email yet, this weekend look for a lot of announcements and content.
Hey @zach915m — how do wood changes affect Atrium sound? More, less, or about the same effect as w/ Auteur?

Also, Cocobolo are really calling to me.

Jul 7, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #1,562 of 6,266
Hey @zach915m — how do wood changes affect Atrium sound? More, less, or about the same effect as w/ Auteur?

Also, Cocobolo are really calling to me.
Saw those Cocobolo in person at CanJam and they are really beautiful 😉

Jul 7, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #1,563 of 6,266
The mini has been haunting me, one of the few higher end solid states i've not been able to properly demo. I might need to bite the bullet and get one to test. I've yet to find a good solid state that holds it's own with my tube amps, maybe the mini is the one. How does the Elise differ from the mini tonall
Take what I say with a grain of salt, as I am not good at audio analysis, but I'd call the GS-X mini as neutral as neutral can be. I have heard it described as bright, but I don't really agree with that. I don't hear any emphasis in any frequencies. What is is clean, energetic and snappy, providing great macrodynamics. By contrast, the Elise is quintessentially tubey -- rounded out, smooth and holographic. The more I listen to the Atriums on my Elise, the more I like the combo-- I imagine it's just a matter of getting used to a different sound. As my amps are in two different locations, I can't really A/B them to give you more insight.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #1,564 of 6,266
I'm loving the Atriums so far, but has anyone else found them to be a bit piercing at times in the upper mids/lower treble? I'm using the Universe pads.

Jul 7, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #1,565 of 6,266
I'm loving the Atriums so far, but has anyone else found them to be a bit piercing at times in the upper mids/lower treble? I'm using the Universe pads.

Universe pads will be more in-your-face but I’ve also felt that with them on the Auteur pads if I’m using it on a tube amp. What amp are you using with it? Found that goes away on a solid state

Jul 7, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #1,566 of 6,266
Interesting -- I did not hear any such while demoing Atrium. A little fuller than my Auteur, but never anything close to piercing.

Jul 7, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #1,567 of 6,266
Tried them on gsx mini and on cayin ha6a, did not find anything piercing, it does have energy but I'm ok with it. It might also be because both my dacs(honey h1 and holo spring 1) are kind of mellow.

Jul 7, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #1,568 of 6,266
I haven’t experienced it

I did try the BE2 hybrid pads as an alternative (to actually get some more treble) but didn’t like them as much. The Universe pads seem like the right default to me, and I find them very pleasant to listen to (no piercing etc.). You could try the Auteur pads which are supposed to be a tiny bit warmer (I haven’t so can’t report). That may be a quicker/cheaper test to start. Otherwise, time to experiment with the synergies in your chain. This can be a softer sounding tube amp, or a DAC, depending on what you are currently using.

Jul 7, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #1,569 of 6,266

They were piercing the first 2 weeks I had them, now they're not piercing at all and they're smooth as silk. I think you just need to burn them in some more.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #1,570 of 6,266
Take what I say with a grain of salt, as I am not good at audio analysis, but I'd call the GS-X mini as neutral as neutral can be. I have heard it described as bright, but I don't really agree with that. I don't hear any emphasis in any frequencies. What is is clean, energetic and snappy, providing great macrodynamics. By contrast, the Elise is quintessentially tubey -- rounded out, smooth and holographic. The more I listen to the Atriums on my Elise, the more I like the combo-- I imagine it's just a matter of getting used to a different sound. As my amps are in two different locations, I can't really A/B them to give you more insight.
Agreed. I have the Elise too and it really enjoys great synergy with the Atrium.

Jul 7, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #1,571 of 6,266
Not I - and I'm quite sensitive to treble sharpness. I found the Auteur to be a bit fatiguing for me for a long time (Eikon Suede pads fixed that) and the VC was a bit intense as well at first until I found the right tube amp (and tube pairing) with it.

FWIW I didn't really listen to the Atrium during burn-in, about 150hrs or so, and I'm running it with:
  • Universe pads, stock mesh
  • Tor Audio Balanced amp (RCA gray glass)
  • Holo Spring 1 Level 2 DAC
Have not once heard an inkling of sibilance or anything piercing.

Jul 7, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #1,572 of 6,266
... I found the Auteur to be a bit fatiguing for me for a long time (Eikon Suede pads fixed that) ...
I wouldn't say the Eikon Suede 'fixed' my Auteur, but they are my preferred pads as well. Barely preferred over Auteur Suede, and somewhat over Auteur Lamb.

Auteur Lamb were my favorite pads on my Atrium loaner.

Jul 7, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #1,573 of 6,266
Universe pads will be more in-your-face but I’ve also felt that with them on the Auteur pads if I’m using it on a tube amp. What amp are you using with it? Found that goes away on a solid state
Interesting. That is so counterintuitive. I'm having the piercing on the Elise -- haven't listened to them enough on my GS-X mini to see if that fixes the issues. To be clear, I'm not talking about the higher frequencies -- it's only where there are pronounced passages in the upper mids/lower treble that I notice it.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #1,574 of 6,266
Try it out! If you think about the strength of the Atrium, it's not so counterintuitive. The mids are incredible and very prominent. At the same time, my Euforia (and also the Elise) bring mids out even further and emphasize more of the bass. I think the combo of the two can make some notes just slightly too sharp in that region which I haven't encountered at all with my Atrium and OOR + Hypsos connected

Jul 7, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #1,575 of 6,266
Interesting. That is so counterintuitive. I'm having the piercing on the Elise -- haven't listened to them enough on my GS-X mini to see if that fixes the issues.
Have you rolled tubes yet?
I rolled in some Tesla EL34s on my DAC, which are quite mids forward and it made vocals a bit fatiguing. Also had the same issue with a Brimar rectifier on my DAC.
Swapped to a Gold Lion KT77s and a USAF 596 combo on my DAC. Problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

• LXMc
Back