ZMF - Aeolus vs. Auteur Classic
Aug 15, 2023 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

treys1

100+ Head-Fier
Never had any open backs, so not going to spend a bajillion dollars on any until I get a feel for them. So, between those two, thoughts?

Music is Alternative, Classic Rock & EDM mostly. I have no shame in saying that it seems I prefer a V-Shaped sound, but not to the extreme. I put an emphasis on sub-bass and bass, but do not want it to bleed upward and muddy things. On the treble side I do like some sparkle, but not to the point of being harsh or symblant (or however that is speeled).

Aug 15, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 8
Fostex TH900 Purple comes to my mind.

Aeolus is kind the opposite of V-Shape. Auteur is one the most "linear" among ZMF, so no v-shape signature at all here.

Thanks, I already have closed backs and I am looking to try out opens. I should maybe clarify that I am not specifically looking for a V-shaped sound in whatever open I go with, I just don't want nasty roll off on either side of the spectrum.

Aug 15, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #4 of 8
Based on an XTC-C is tuned for "Warm" or "Warm Yet Detailed", here's how I'd rank them; I have not auditioned Autuer Classic.

Bass Impact: Aeolus>XTC-C>Autuer (OG)
Bass Extension: XTC-C>Autuer (OG)>Aeolus
Bass Texture: XTC-C>Autuer (OG)>Aeolus

I use Autuer for casual listening or in the background while working, and XTC-C for more dedicated listening sessions.

Both the Aeolus and Autuer will give you an open sound with a more expansive soundstage.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 8
As a person that currently has both, Auteur Classic all day. Not even a question or comparison. I reach for them often, even compared to "higher-end" ZMF sets. It's one of the most honest sets of headphones I own, or that you can buy in my opinion. Its like the Caldera, in that it just sounds great no matter what you throw at it. Props if you get a LTD set that looks the part too.

Aug 18, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 8
As a person that currently has both, Auteur Classic all day. Not even a question or comparison. I reach for them often, even compared to "higher-end" ZMF sets. It's one of the most honest sets of headphones I own, or that you can buy in my opinion. Its like the Caldera, in that it just sounds great no matter what you throw at it. Props if you get a LTD set that looks the part too.

The H.C.S.O.B ones were on sale for $200-300 (I think it was 300) off when I first posted this, after Mudnut's post I went to purchase them and the sale had expired. Since I already have JM XTC-C I couldn't justify the non-sale price and decided to pick up a few other things instead.

Thanks for the insight though!

Aug 18, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #7 of 8
The H.C.S.O.B ones were on sale for $200-300 (I think it was 300) off when I first posted this, after Mudnut's post I went to purchase them and the sale had expired. Since I already have JM XTC-C I couldn't justify the non-sale price and decided to pick up a few other things instead.

Thanks for the insight though!
Always check usam and others. You can often find sets below MSRP. Personally I choose to support zmf at MSRP due to the type of company they run and how they do business.

Enjoy the journey!

Aug 18, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 8
Always check usam and others. You can often find sets below MSRP. Personally I choose to support zmf at MSRP due to the type of company they run and how they do business.

Enjoy the journey!

Yeah I intended on buying direct, but the $300 price swing kind of bummed me out considering I was not 100% sure on them to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back