ZMF Aeolus or Verite or Auteur vs Hifiman Arya, HE-1000 V2 vs Meze Empyrean on Sony NW-WM1Z?
Sep 22, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #31 of 45
Yeh I would also say though 99% of "audiophiles" / "audio enthusiasts" are biased by what they are "supposed" to like per "audiophile ideals" vs. what they actually like :wink: Like in your case, you haven't heard headphone at all but are making a case on "audiophile ideal" when the actual thread when said distortion was found most (including the guy who designed the original SDR mod) believed that the added 2nd distortion improved the overall bass response of the headphone before it was discovered. The only really effective argument against it is if you are going to massively boost/EQ the bass on HD800v1 instead, but that has its own tradeoffs as well, and IMO less desirable overall than the simple 2nd order tweak senn made on hd800s.

It is of course preference, but so is everything in audio in reality.
Still does not change the fact that the HD800 is technically the better headphone buddy. No need or desire to listen to the S. :wink:

Sep 22, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #32 of 45
Still does not change the fact that the HD800 is technically the better headphone buddy. No need or desire to listen to the S. :wink:

Can't say the bass sounds so great when there isn't any :) hence why they made the tweak. "Technically" etc is another audiophile ideal and not based in reality of how it actually sounds. By same technicality tube amps like your EC + it's tube distortion and your v281 with it's less than 100% neutral coloring would be technically worse than something like an SPL Phonitor, but that is a silly argument to make

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #33 of 45
" Can't say the bass sounds so great when there isn't any"

That's the only silly argument here. I'll attest it to a combination of strong lack of experience and a constant need to defend a worse reissue for whatever reasons.

Sep 22, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #34 of 45
" Can't say the bass sounds so great when there isn't any"

That's the only silly argument here. I'll attest it to a combination of strong lack of experience and a constant need to defend a worse reissue for whatever reasons.

Well I've owned HD800, HD800S, and HD820 so I'd say I have the experience lol. As opposed to the person I am arguing with who has never even heard the HD800S and is making argument on theory, which would indicate lack of experience.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #35 of 45
Can't say the bass sounds so great when there isn't any :) hence why they made the tweak. "Technically" etc is another audiophile ideal and not based in reality of how it actually sounds. By same technicality tube amps like your EC + it's tube distortion and your v281 with it's less than 100% neutral coloring would be technically worse than something like an SPL Phonitor, but that is a silly argument to make

Comparing distortion in amplifiers with distorsion in transducers is simply a bad analogy.
There is right pitch and there is wrong pitch, HD800 bass right - HD800S bass wrong. Sorry if I failed but I can not make it any simpler for you.

Sep 22, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #36 of 45
Comparing distortion in amplifiers with distorsion in transducers is simply a bad analogy.
There is right pitch and there is wrong pitch, HD800 bass right - HD800S bass wrong. Sorry if I failed but I can not make it any simpler for you.
If you are that concerned with "right" tonality you should probably stick with HD6xx series and skip the HD8xx series altogether.

Sep 26, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #37 of 45
20200926_140310.jpg

Sep 27, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #38 of 45
Sep 27, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #39 of 45
If you are that concerned with "right" tonality you should probably stick with HD6xx series and skip the HD8xx series altogether.

I am not concerned with anything, you should be concerned about being to concerned about others concerns and tone down you concern for Sennheiser a bit, since it looks a bit suspicious allready with your undying posting devotion.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #40 of 45
Very interesting post!
I would also like to buy cans from ZMF, but I'm not sure which one will suit me.
Had a Hifiman HE1000SE here for 2 weeks, and that wasn't my case
The money doesn't matter when buying it, my goal is to have cans that I'm happy with.
It is a shame that ZMF is not available to listen to here in Germany.
I think i prefer darker Sound!

Sep 27, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #41 of 45
Very interesting post!
I would also like to buy cans from ZMF, but I'm not sure which one will suit me.
The money doesn't matter when buying it, my goal is to have cans that I'm happy with.
The Aeolus is the ZMF to buy if you like darker sound

Nov 22, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #42 of 45

Reader...., the reality is...if you are trying to find "true to life" or "true to the live experience" inside a set of cups that are on your ears or over them, (or in them) and you are really only interested in this situation giving you the sonic truth, then take up surfing or archery or Irish Dancing.
No...really.
Listen....There is no such thing as "this sounds just like it sounds live",or.... "this sounds just like when it was recorded, found inside small round cups that are strapped to your ears.
This does not exist...Not in the Sundara, not in the LCD-5, or Meze Elite, or DCA Stealth, or any another Brand, Set, or Model.

So, get past that illusion, and you can then find the reason you search for the right 5-15 sets of headphones... to keep.
What's that reason? The reason is....>how they make you feel. How they cause you to get lost in their sound. 'contact high"......=THAT.
That's the purpose of the headphone experience when you pursue it correctly.
Do they get you off, sonically?
If so then KEEP. If not then SELL.
If you understand this, THEN go and spend your money on more detail retrieval and resolution, but dont spend money thinking that more detail retrieval and more resolution and a wider soundstage and more airy treble is going to give you REAL LIFE sound... as headphones will never offer this ultimate reality.

When you spend money on really expensive Tot'l headphones, you are trying to get the best HIGH, the best Euphoria, the best presentation..... but never think you are getting true to life sound in a set of earcups, no matter how much you spend, or how much hype and marketing would tell you otherwise.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #43 of 45
Very interesting post!
And now you like HE1000se, according to your signature? Does it sound better with time? I really started to appreciate mine after about 1.5 weeks.

Mar 28, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #44 of 45
If you can get the Verite, get it and don't look back. It's a notch above all the others listed.

Well, maybe not.
The Verite is a "colored" headphone sound, that is not neutral, and is not aiming for reference, regarding tonality.
Its certainly not as detailed as the HEKSE, nor is it as comfortable.

As compared to the Meze Empy, the Verite has a shaper treble, and more of a "V" shape.
The Empy, is a very good all-arounder, that never fatigues, and the comfort is legendary.

If the decision is : Verite or HEKv2, then it comes down to..... The V2's comfort and soundstage and realism, vs the Verite's pad rolling options and the Verite's non-Planer tone, which is superb, but its Zack's sound, and that is specific to what he likes, in the same way that the upper Echelon Hifiman Gear is tonally specific to what Fang likes.
These 2 gears have very different sound, and owning them both would be the best case scenario, as one is a sonic palate cleanser as per the other.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #45 of 45
Very interesting post!
You can listen to almost all ZMF headphones at the Headphone Company in Heidelberg. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back